Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,788
  • Days Won:  3

Honestly, let the top teams form their super league. The rest should go back to the BCS system.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  493
  • Content Count:  12,676
  • Days Won:  25

8 hours ago, dclenden said:

The law of unintended consequences of this hyperopic consolidation of big school names is that while intending to pool the ‘big money’, they neglect to acknowledge the negative influence of unpairing decades of intermediate football rivalries attempt to disrupt the Goliath (Duke vs FSU, et al).  An attempt to only pool the perennial schools underscores the power brokers misunderstanding of the essential cog that makes the NCAA system appeal to so many outside of Austin and Gainesville.  The lack of David vs Goliath stories will have a greater effect than they give credit to.  

Seeing only the big winners play each other will be attract many, though over time the elimination of the chance an up and coming to excel against a Goliath is essential in the NCAA system of appeal and will tire the average consumer.  America likes the undergoes- always has.   I believe this missing key element will eventually come at a cost. Most in the US don’t watch college football from Ann Arbor, Gainesville, Austin or Big Bend.  Instead the majority of college football is watched from an aggregate of places like Boise, Duluth, Memphis  and Lubbock.  Over time this will result in a greater cost than originally intended IMO. 

100% agree. I can't imagine on Saturday afternoon saying "Let's go! it's almost time for the Team A vs Team B game to start." And have no real idea who's playing. Although, for me, it's the same with the NFL. ONLY if there's nothing else to do will I spend my Sunday afternoon watching any other team than the Bucs, and then usually with them only if there's nothing better to do.

8 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I am almost ready to bounce away. I just have no confidence that we will be more than what we are now. I still can’t get over how we have been left behind. It just boggles my mind with the bad decisions.  My distance from Tampa makes it impossible to say I’ll keep buying tickets because I love USF and support them. 

As I have said before, I'll watch a BULLS game either in the stadium or on tv no matter who we're playing.

• Topic Count:  609
  • Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  46

1 hour ago, BDYZR said:

100% agree. I can't imagine on Saturday afternoon saying "Let's go! it's almost time for the Team A vs Team B game to start." And have no real idea who's playing. Although, for me, it's the same with the NFL. ONLY if there's nothing else to do will I spend my Sunday afternoon watching any other team than the Bucs, and then usually with them only if there's nothing better to do.

As I have said before, I'll watch a BULLS game either in the stadium or on tv no matter who we're playing.

Same here. When USF started of playing Kentucky Wesleyan, I got hooked. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

3 hours ago, Bull Daly said:

Let’s be honest. We really have not been left behind. We just have not caught up yet. Besides the two conferences that were desperate were and are sinking ships.  Both the Big East & now the Big 12. Feel bad for Cincy they are about to go through Big East pt 2 lol

There is not a person on this board who would not won’t to be in the shoes of Cincy. Even if for some reason they were a part of a diminished B12 (which I don’t believe for a second will happen) they would more than survive (I have seen their name mentioned many times going to the ACC) due to an established history, excellent administrative leadership,  and on the field success. None of which we have at this time. 

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, BDYZR said:

13 minutes ago, Bull Daly said:

Same here. When USF started of playing Kentucky Wesleyan, I got hooked. 

I will always watch us play as long as it is against “decent” competition but I seriously doubt I would care if it is more like FCS competition. There is just too much competition for my sporting viewing time to sink that low. I would be too sad to watch. I am actually finishing up a free college degree from KU so I suspect I’ll start following their basketball program instead of USF pretty soon. I really don’t want to leave my fandom completely on USF football since I have been here since day one, through the highs and the lows, but crap there is only so much I can take……Please Michael Kelly pull a miracle and get us something better!!!!

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,788
  • Days Won:  3

10 hours ago, dclenden said:

The law of unintended consequences of this hyperopic consolidation of big school names is that while intending to pool the ‘big money’, they neglect to acknowledge the negative influence of unpairing decades of intermediate football rivalries attempt to disrupt the Goliath (Duke vs FSU, et al).  An attempt to only pool the perennial schools underscores the power brokers misunderstanding of the essential cog that makes the NCAA system appeal to so many outside of Austin and Gainesville.  The lack of David vs Goliath stories will have a greater effect than they give credit to.  

Seeing only the big winners play each other will be attract many, though over time the elimination of the chance an up and coming to excel against a Goliath is essential in the NCAA system of appeal and will tire the average consumer.  America likes the undergoes- always has.   I believe this missing key element will eventually come at a cost. Most in the US don’t watch college football from Ann Arbor, Gainesville, Austin or Big Bend.  Instead the majority of college football is watched from an aggregate of places like Boise, Duluth, Memphis  and Lubbock.  Over time this will result in a greater cost than originally intended IMO.

The MLB recognized this aggregate value in the 1990’s when they instituted revenue sharing nearly 3 decades ago with great success.  College football has decided to go instead into left field by aggregating the equivalent of LA Dodgers, Yankees and Astros into a single division.  It will blow up in their face- not immediately, but slowly over time through apathy and attrition.  Even the MLB recognized this.

What happens to this super league when there is a separation and clear dividing line of winners and losers. Some one has to lose in this league. Do they drop those teams and form a super mega league? Do they bring up the power houses from our division and swap the losers?

• Topic Count:  609
  • Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  46

17 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I will always watch us play as long as it is against “decent” competition but I seriously doubt I would care if it is more like FCS competition. There is just too much competition for my sporting viewing time to sink that low. I would be too sad to watch. I am actually finishing up a free college degree from KU so I suspect I’ll start following their basketball program instead of USF pretty soon. I really don’t want to leave my fandom completely on USF football since I have been here since day one, through the highs and the lows, but crap there is only so much I can take……Please Michael Kelly pull a miracle and get us something better!!!!

With all that said. I am finally feeling more positive about USF with the upcoming OCS and I would be shocked if USF didn’t end up in the ACC.

4 minutes ago, Bull Daly said:

With all that said. I am finally feeling more positive about USF with the upcoming OCS and I would be shocked if USF didn’t end up in the ACC.

Scrap off a little of that belief and put in my drink please! 😀

• Haha 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  180
  • Content Count:  7,478
  • Days Won:  14

Morning rumor roundup

CU board of regents having 2nd executive only session of the week tonight (was previously unplanned) 

Twitterverse: Clemson acting cold to ACC? 

Former UGA head coach (FWIW) speculating (?) 4 teams to SEC soon 

dck6vaxthih2k7bo36w2

Jim Donnan names four teams that he says are likely joining the SEC and others potentially in the mix.

CBSSports writer says it "silly" that SEC is negotiating with 4 ACC teams

But then goes on to clarify that the SEC "doesn't negotiate, it invites", again FWIW. Another writer responds admitting that may be true but that ESPN is the one doing the negotiating. 

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  959
  • Days Won:  1

9 hours ago, OhioBull said:

Very little. These changes are mere formalities except for pruning the trees of dead wood 

I'd say bowls are and will still be a big difference (idiotic sponsorship/names of those bowls aside). That seems to be the one tradition we're still kinda holding on to in college football. And the greater number of schollies will attract slightly better athletes (on average).

To be honest, though, D2 is starting to appeal to me more than FBS or FCS at this point. Real regional conferences, regional rivalries, etc.