Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  49
  • Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  0

11 minutes ago, UCF_rustbucket said:

Oregon and Washington are the 2 best brands left between the PAC 12 and Big 12. If the B1G doesn't want them, they definitely don't want anyone in the Big 12. I've been saying since last year that the B1G wouldn't respond to the SEC's power move of taking OU/UT by going for some limp schools like Kansas and Iowa State just because they're AAU. And sure enough they went big for the 2 LA schools, though I definitely didn't think a move would come so quickly. 

I'm not trying to be that guy just because I'm a UCF fan, but if the ACC really were to expand right now, I can't see them taking G5 teams unless absolutely necessary. The Big 12 only did it after being on life support and not in a position to take from other P5s. They tried keeping OU and UT, then tried talking merger with the PAC 12, and then individual teams tried to find their own lifeboats out but no one wanted them. You check all your top options first so it's more likely they go for the Big 12 teams. Same reason the PAC and Big 12 will try to take from each other first before having to go G5.

each realignment has been about different things. Some conferences going for wins then some for market share. however, they are all want more money....its just a matter of what gets them more.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  465
  • Days Won:  2

2 minutes ago, USFBULL_08 said:

each realignment has been about different things. Some conferences going for wins then some for market share. however, they are all want more money....its just a matter of what gets them more.

For sure. But as far as I can see, the ACC would be doing so with the same criteria the Big 12 did last year. Good performance on the field, good market, strong support investment and viewership wise. The more the ACC waits, the better chance USF has to get things on track. But if they expanded this year for instance, I don't see a reason they take USF over say a combination of Cincy and WVU. And that's only if they want to expand. If even the best options don't guarantee more money, why expand? It's an extra mouth to feed. It's that same greed that kept the Big 12 from expanding in 2016. I get trying to buffer against your best teams eventually leaving, but making them feed a few extra mouths almost guarantees you'll make them leave.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

40 minutes ago, Gat-Rat Bull said:

I trust Matt more than anyone. 

• Upvote 2
  • Go Bulls! 2

For sure. But as far as I can see, the ACC would be doing so with the same criteria the Big 12 did last year. Good performance on the field, good market, strong support investment and viewership wise. The more the ACC waits, the better chance USF has to get things on track. But if they expanded this year for instance, I don't see a reason they take USF over say a combination of Cincy and WVU. And that's only if they want to expand. If even the best options don't guarantee more money, why expand? It's an extra mouth to feed. It's that same greed that kept the Big 12 from expanding in 2016. I get trying to buffer against your best teams eventually leaving, but making them feed a few extra mouths almost guarantees you'll make them leave.

Cheaper option than both Cincy and WVU with a better market(i think?).

If youre gonna base your opinion on what the Big 12 has done for smart decision making i think youre barking up the wrong tree.

Everyone knows the potential for USF to turn things around and take over(or some of) the Tampa market.

Edited by USFBULL_08

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  465
  • Days Won:  2

1 minute ago, USFBULL_08 said:

Cheaper option than both Cincy and WVU with a better market(i think?).

If youre gonna base your opinion on what the Big 12 has done for smart decision making i think youre barking up the wrong tree.

Everyone knows the potential for USF to turn things around and take over(or some of) the Tampa market.

If you're trying to build up your conference as best as possible, you go for the best teams. Not the cheapest to buyout. If those 2 things overlap, then great. CUSA and Sunbelt have way cheaper buyouts than the AAC yet 6/8 teams the Big 12 actually looked at were from the AAC. 

The Big 12 ended up in a tough place due to bowing to Texas and Oklahoma for years. USF has immense potential. But the higher you go up in the conference food chain, the less likely you're adding based solely on potential. There's gotta be more and more of a track record the higher you go. It's why the SEC added Texas, the Big 12 added Houston, the AAC added UTSA, and CUSA added SHSU. The further you go down that chain, the more it's potential based vs track record. USF absolutely can be force in college football, but what has significantly changed from last year to this year that would catapult USF above Big 12 teams if the ACC wanted to expand? Being cheaper wouldn't be a great reason for a long term move.

If you're trying to build up your conference as best as possible, you go for the best teams. Not the cheapest to buyout. If those 2 things overlap, then great. CUSA and Sunbelt have way cheaper buyouts than the AAC yet 6/8 teams the Big 12 actually looked at were from the AAC. 

The Big 12 ended up in a tough place due to bowing to Texas and Oklahoma for years. USF has immense potential. But the higher you go up in the conference food chain, the less likely you're adding based solely on potential. There's gotta be more and more of a track record the higher you go. It's why the SEC added Texas, the Big 12 added Houston, the AAC added UTSA, and CUSA added SHSU. The further you go down that chain, the more it's potential based vs track record. USF absolutely can be force in college football, but what has significantly changed from last year to this year that would catapult USF above Big 12 teams if the ACC wanted to expand? Being cheaper wouldn't be a great reason for a long term move.

I guess the definition of building a conference is subjective - Big Ten did not take the best teams in Maryland and Rutgers they went market. It appears they took USC and UCLA for the market as well just because they reached out and not bc the big ten were nervous looking around. I mean why not if the money is worth it and those team pay for travel.

IMO I think ND will be the domino that defines college football. If they stay ACC biased then conferences will be able to sustain. If they go Big Ten or $EC then it will be full on super conferences.

CFB is still going to be gate-kept by the top teams unless regulated.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,423
  • Content Count:  98,293
  • Days Won:  490

4 hours ago, hm101 said:

wow I see it now. Did anyone else miss it at first too?

Look carefully. 

It's what Will was alluding to as well.

Yank Big Fish GIF by SA Company

• Haha 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  111
  • Content Count:  5,628
  • Days Won:  10

I could use some positive, exciting news about the program about now.  Coming from Matt helps.  I sure hope that they induct him into the HOF sooner rather than later.  Though Flowers was a better QB, Matt got me hooked on USF football and was so darned exciting to watch.

Reading all of these possibilities, I'm leaning toward UCF Rustbucket's outlook right now.  We're a little late to the party and that will show if and when the raiding begins.  It's a darned shame.

It shows what vision and foresight can do when exercised by leadership.  Or not.

• Topic Count:  609
  • Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  46

1 hour ago, Grateful Dad said:

I could use some positive, exciting news about the program about now.  Coming from Matt helps.  I sure hope that they induct him into the HOF sooner rather than later.  Though Flowers was a better QB, Matt got me hooked on USF football and was so darned exciting to watch.

Reading all of these possibilities, I'm leaning toward UCF Rustbucket's outlook right now.  We're a little late to the party and that will show if and when the raiding begins.  It's a darned shame.

It shows what vision and foresight can do when exercised by leadership.  Or not.

Never too late for a party that is never ending lol

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,836
  • Content Count:  5,586
  • Days Won:  13

7 hours ago, Bull Daly said:

ACC already has their network set up whereas the Big 12 does not. Heck the PAC 12 has their own network and a seat in the Rose Bowl. They will more than likely raid the Big 12

The Big 12 has a seat in the Sugar Bowl... and would have had a network if it weren't for the Longhorn Network... but yeah, even with UT and OU the Big 12's TV contracts were 5th out of the P5, so right now the remaining Pac 12 has a little more power than the remaining Big 12.

Unless Oregon and Washington leave.  Then the table is flipped, and the Big 12 will raid the Pac 12.