Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  370
  • Content Count:  6,587
  • Days Won:  37

16 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

So... this guy is rarely right... but you know the broken clock adage.

This is a nightmare scenario for us unless there is a shakeup in the ACC. It would pretty much guarantee that we are stuck in the AAC for the next decade plus. Fox pulled the strings on this one. Their two big properties (Pac 12 and B1G) are both up in 2024. It is much easier for Fox to just have to pay for one than two. They need to do so to stay relevant. ESPN has the SEC and ACC locked up through 2034 and 2036 respectively, so Fox has to get the B1G. I really think that the most likely path that leads to the best outcome for USF is the PAC remaining together and backfilling with BSU, SDSU, and/or UNLV, and the Big 12 taking USF, Memphis, and potentially the one that gets left out of the Pac 12, assuming Kansas leaves. 

The Kansas to the Big East talk is interesting because they have been pushing hard for a B1G invite. They must have been told that they are never getting in and, knowing that football is driving all of this, deciding that giving up on their football team is the better long term play (ala UCONN). I just don't understand why they would do that right away unless they knew/thought that the Big 12 was going to lose some of its better programs sooner than later. This is all equal parts fascinating, depressing, and hope inspiring. 

• Topic Count:  1,836
  • Content Count:  5,585
  • Days Won:  13

3 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

Fox pulled the strings on this one.

• Topic Count:  1,836
  • Content Count:  5,585
  • Days Won:  13

Reporter for the Dallas Morning News ... and the Big 12 is based in Dallas... he could just be commenting... or ... no, he's probably just making a comment.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  374
  • Content Count:  4,318
  • Days Won:  56

2 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

This is a nightmare scenario for us unless there is a shakeup in the ACC. It would pretty much guarantee that we are stuck in the AAC for the next decade plus. Fox pulled the strings on this one. Their two big properties (Pac 12 and B1G) are both up in 2024. It is much easier for Fox to just have to pay for one than two. They need to do so to stay relevant. ESPN has the SEC and ACC locked up through 2034 and 2036 respectively, so Fox has to get the B1G. I really think that the most likely path that leads to the best outcome for USF is the PAC remaining together and backfilling with BSU, SDSU, and/or UNLV, and the Big 12 taking USF, Memphis, and potentially the one that gets left out of the Pac 12, assuming Kansas leaves. 

The Kansas to the Big East talk is interesting because they have been pushing hard for a B1G invite. They must have been told that they are never getting in and, knowing that football is driving all of this, deciding that giving up on their football team is the better long term play (ala UCONN). I just don't understand why they would do that right away unless they knew/thought that the Big 12 was going to lose some of its better programs sooner than later. This is all equal parts fascinating, depressing, and hope inspiring. 

My gut says this is actually a really good thing for us. Any shakeup gives us a chance. If things stay as is, then we’re in trouble. You know the leftovers in the Big 12 (Baylor, OK State, Kansas, etc.) have been looking for an excuse/opportunity to bolt ever since the Texas/OK to SEC announcement. They’ll take whatever opportunity presents itself to better their situation. That potentially opens the door for us, Memphis, maybe SMU to do the same. And wouldn’t it be just the best for us to have solidified our move to the same level as Oviedo CC before they even have a chance to play a game in the Big 12? Not to mention the added momentum to get that stadium built? Let’s see . . . 

• Topic Count:  370
  • Content Count:  6,587
  • Days Won:  37

To anyone thinking that the ACC is going to do anything, I would offer you that they will do whatever they are told to do by their Media Daddy, ESPN. ESPN has a vision for the future of college athletics and has been working towards that vision since they brought about the demise of the Big East. This is about consolidation right now. My fear is that Fox and ESPN don't want the PAC getting any stronger, so they are not going to allow the PAC to raid the Big 12 for teams. I don't necessarily think that they want a strong and stable Big 12, either, but their TV rights aren't on the table and the PAC's are. ESPN and Fox hold ALL off the cards in this. What they want is what we will get. Our best hope is that the Media Daddies force the PAC to backfill with MWC teams and Kansas leaves for the Big East. That might prompt the Big 12 to add Memphis, USF, and one MWC team into the mix. 

• Topic Count:  374
  • Content Count:  4,318
  • Days Won:  56

1 minute ago, BullyPulpit said:

To anyone thinking that the ACC is going to do anything, I would offer you that they will do whatever they are told to do by their Media Daddy, ESPN. ESPN has a vision for the future of college athletics and has been working towards that vision since they brought about the demise of the Big East. This is about consolidation right now. My fear is that Fox and ESPN don't want the PAC getting any stronger, so they are not going to allow the PAC to raid the Big 12 for teams. I don't necessarily think that they want a strong and stable Big 12, either, but their TV rights aren't on the table and the PAC's are. ESPN and Fox hold ALL off the cards in this. What they want is what we will get. Our best hope is that the Media Daddies force the PAC to backfill with MWC teams and Kansas leaves for the Big East. That might prompt the Big 12 to add Memphis, USF, and one MWC team into the mix. 

And the TV influence is the biggest reason for optimism. They’re going to want to have the Tampa/St. Pete market in the mix at some point and we give that to them if they help us get our program positioned.

• Topic Count:  49
  • Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  0

3 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

Yup this is all on how espn wants to respond

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,942
  • Days Won:  436

I'll be honest, seeing this thread hopping like it is again brings a tear to the eye ....

• Haha 2

• Topic Count:  49
  • Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  0

Also wondering what Oregon, Wash and ND are thinking right now. I cant imagine Oregon and Wash want to go to the Big 12.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,942
  • Days Won:  436

1 hour ago, USFsurfer said:

Yes, it would be a better basketball conference, but basketball doesn't pay the bills, basketball is play money at best. A rehashed BE is just not appealing and can't imagine it would be for future tv deals. Also, once the big names are raided out of the ACC there isn't much out there on the east coast to back fill them in with. Being in the Big12 puts you in the middle of the country with opportunities on both the West and East coast should you need to expand further. 

Yeah, we'll just have to agree to disagree on this. I think the overwhelming majority of fans would prefer the ACC, no matter what the form and I'd have to guess Administration would think the same thing as long as we're doing the dreaming ....