Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Should not come as a surprise that we will be adding a “lower” profile university.

AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco responds to C-USA letter, realignment and murky future for conference

2021/10/13 at 6:05 PM - KEVIN REYNOLDS - THE DAILY CAMPUS

excerpts:

"As the American Athletic Conference continues to figure out its increasingly murky future, Commissioner Mike Aresco once again found himself at the center of conference realignment talk this week."

"Aresco spoke about realignment, expansion and the overall direction of the American Athletic Conference at a media availability Wednesday."

"After Boise State declined to come to the AAC, there are no obvious schools to add to the conference that would significantly heighten its profile."

"Aresco instead pointed to a new model. Instead of bringing in established schools, he believes the conference can survive by bringing in lesser schools and raising their profile once they are in the conference."

“I think what is sometimes overlooked is what the American Athletic Conference has done in elevating programs that may not have been at the level they’re at now.”

“In terms of the conference, our goals and vision have not changed. I think once we reconstitute we’re going to continue our approach. As in trying to become an autonomous six conference.”  Who's he kidding?

https://www.smudailycampus.com/sports/aa...conference

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,119
  • Days Won:  14

19 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Should not come as a surprise that we will be adding a “lower” profile university.

AAC Commissioner Mike Aresco responds to C-USA letter, realignment and murky future for conference

excerpts:

"As the American Athletic Conference continues to figure out its increasingly murky future, Commissioner Mike Aresco once again found himself at the center of conference realignment talk this week."

"Aresco spoke about realignment, expansion and the overall direction of the American Athletic Conference at a media availability Wednesday."

"After Boise State declined to come to the AAC, there are no obvious schools to add to the conference that would significantly heighten its profile."

"Aresco instead pointed to a new model. Instead of bringing in established schools, he believes the conference can survive by bringing in lesser schools and raising their profile once they are in the conference."

“I think what is sometimes overlooked is what the American Athletic Conference has done in elevating programs that may not have been at the level they’re at now.”

“In terms of the conference, our goals and vision have not changed. I think once we reconstitute we’re going to continue our approach. As in trying to become an autonomous six conference.”  Who's he kidding?

Sucks...but also expected.  But then it's really hard to complain when we're in the position of being the doormat team in the wanna-be conference.  Beat somebody!

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

33 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

excerpts:

I think what is sometimes overlooked is what the American Athletic Conference has done in elevating programs that may not have been at the level they’re at now.”

So bringing a team into our conference and putting them on the same level playing field we are on helps them to rise up as a program?   Where have I heard this before?  How about  FAU or FIU?   Maybe we could create a cute little rivalry and one day both of us will be taken to the P5 promised land as a package deal

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,799
  • Content Count:  38,276
  • Days Won:  29

USF Needs to be Better . . . as an entire university with sports.

And nothing will happen until we have a new President.

Go BULLS !!!

Edited by E.T.
  • Like 1

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  959
  • Days Won:  1

I mean if nobody else wants to come to the AAC, what are you gonna do? It's depressing, but it is what it is. I just hope we're able to win this thing a few times. 

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

Weve always had someone-something nibble around the edges of the BE and now AAC. Poaching coaches of any program succeeding or the teams. If you remember ucf and cincy they were very beatable for a good many years until their schools/programs decided to go in 100%. I don't think the AAC is dead yet but any addition better be well thought out. Prob is, with other G5 there is only about a million upgrade is it enough to make them change? Will espn penalize $ the conf for the loss of the 3 ?  Be interesting...

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

14 minutes ago, widerberg said:

I mean if nobody else wants to come to the AAC, what are you gonna do? It's depressing, but it is what it is. I just hope we're able to win this thing a few times. 

I’ll still take UAB and Rice. Then that’s it. Wait and see how things shake out. 

• Upvote 1
  • ???? 1

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  959
  • Days Won:  1

3 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I’ll still take UAB and Rice. Then that’s it. Wait and see how things shake out. 

Yeah, I would take UAB and Rice. Rice, in particular, is an old program, they've got a positive Bowl record, they've got a bunch of conference titles, although that was years and years and years ago, and we get the Houston TV market back. I think you mentioned their academics, too, a while back. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,755
  • Days Won:  6

Aresco still slinging that P6 rhetoric is absolutely laughable.  The AAC is a dead conference run by a clueless clown.

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,094
  • Days Won:  2

28 minutes ago, widerberg said:

Rice, in particular, is an old program, they've got a positive Bowl record, they've got a bunch of conference titles, although that was years and years and years ago,  

One of the most famous (or infamous) plays in college football history from Jan 1, 1954:

wrc00930.jpg?sequence=1&isAllowed=y

Edited by Mission9
  • Like 1