Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  959
  • Days Won:  1

4 minutes ago, BulledOver said:

May have been noted?? Read a long article last night on cbssports about the C-USA study/pursuit to have a regional mega conference type thing. AAC pretty much said, not interested. Don't know if they have made their pitch or not to AAC and Sun Belt. Our ESPN tv $$ could be affected w/ the 3 teams leaving. Somehow the AAC has to replace them with some Wow factor...I'm still an App State vote. I think they bring a lot to the table. They are a tv darling. From there?? UAB?? It does get AAC into the Alabama market. Marshall ?? they seem to be playing good and they were a force in the past. Another Texas team? 

Hopefully, Aresco wasn't ahead of himself on the MW teams and got smacked down?? Confusing Times

I'm of two minds when it comes to what I'd like to see with expansion. The practical side of me says the best schools possible from the best media markets to try to shore up the TV money. The passionate side of me, though, says schools that are geographically close to us and similar-ish in football potential.

I still want some kind of natural rivalry because, well, rivalries are part of college football (just like an OCS is) and it's hard to have a rival that's five or six states away. That part of me, I think, would like to see USF in the best possible position to play some classic traditional college football when the SEC and Big 10 become NFL Lite super conferences and USF and all but 30 or so teams get left behind. I can't see a situation where we'd get a seat at the table for that abomination, so in that context it would be better for USF to be in a conference with other schools that are at least relatively close geographically. If that doesn't happen and the P5 stay solvent, though, then I guess I'm hoping for whatever will keep us alive until we get called up to the Big 12 (or, really hoping on this one, the ACC if Miami and/or FSU go to the SEC one day).

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

17 minutes ago, BulledOver said:

May have been noted?? Read a long article last night on cbssports about the C-USA study/pursuit to have a regional mega conference type thing. AAC pretty much said, not interested. Don't know if they have made their pitch or not to AAC and Sun Belt. Our ESPN tv $$ could be affected w/ the 3 teams leaving. Somehow the AAC has to replace them with some Wow factor...I'm still an App State vote. I think they bring a lot to the table. They are a tv darling. From there?? UAB?? It does get AAC into the Alabama market. Marshall ?? they seem to be playing good and they were a force in the past. Another Texas team? 

Hopefully, Aresco wasn't ahead of himself on the MW teams and got smacked down?? Confusing Times

Personally I am hoping it’s Rice and UAB and that’s it. Save the spots for a B12 meltdown or perhaps a merge of MWC down the line. Regardless, keep the options open. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Personally I am hoping it’s Rice and UAB and that’s it. Save the spots for a B12 meltdown or perhaps a merge of MWC down the line. Regardless, keep the options open. 

I'd be happy with that. On the other hand, would that leave us open if one or more of the P5s decide to go to 16 or more? At that point, there'd be a giant musical chairs game kicking off and there would be room in some conferences that look a lot better than the AAC. Then again, I suppose that's a risk even if we went bigger first.

Whatever's gonna happen, I wish it would happen sooner than later so I can grieve, come to terms, and go on with my life. (Or celebrate, I guess that's a possibility, too, but . . .)

Edited by widerberg

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

1 minute ago, widerberg said:

I'd be happy with that. On the other hand, would that leave us open if one or more of the P5s decide to go to 16 or more? At that point, there'd be a giant musical chairs game kicking off and there would be room in some conferences that look a lot better than the AAC. Then again, I suppose that's a risk even if we went bigger first.

Whatever's gonna happen, I wish it would happen sooner than later so I can grieve, come to terms, and go on with my life. (Or celebrate, I guess that's a possibility, too, but . . .)

Odd thing about the CBS article was the mention of the Next B12 expansion.( I even rechecked the article date). Had B12 interest in SMU and USF???? Also, in Memphis. This stuff is all over the place. If it wasn't for speculation we'd have no elation at all.....

17 minutes ago, BulledOver said:

Odd thing about the CBS article was the mention of the Next B12 expansion.( I even rechecked the article date). Had B12 interest in SMU and USF???? Also, in Memphis. This stuff is all over the place. If it wasn't for speculation we'd have no elation at all.....

Maybe the B12 is waiting for our official OCS announcement before they offer? Seems sketchy, but I'll take it if that's the case. Slight glimmer of hope, maybe.

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,094
  • Days Won:  2

59 minutes ago, widerberg said:

I still want some kind of natural rivalry because, well, rivalries are part of college football (just like an OCS is) and it's hard to have a rival that's five or six states away. 

Now, everyone knows that the greastest rivalry in all of college football is the "Civil Conflict"!  It is so good that it will be renewed Nov 20!

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, BulledOver said:

Oh for sure, USF is mentioned in many articles I have read. The perspective is that we would be a travel partner with those bastards in Orlando, Memphis would be a travel partner for West Virgina, and Boise with BYU. 

3 minutes ago, Mission9 said:

Now, everyone knows that the greastest rivalry in all of college football is the "Civil Conflict"!  It is so good that it will be renewed Nov 20!

I had to look it up on Wikipedia, because I couldn't remember how the name came about. Weirdly, it's UCF that said, "yeah, don't bring the trophy, we really don't want to do this." 

• Topic Count:  493
  • Content Count:  12,673
  • Days Won:  25

53 minutes ago, widerberg said:

Personally I think it did happen sooner, we just can't/won't/haven't/refuse to come to terms with it. It sucks! But, IF a P5 came calling someday I will be shocked. USF has had so many chances in the past to show that we belong and has lain turds every time.

2 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

Personally I think it did happen sooner, we just can't/won't/haven't/refuse to come to terms with it. It sucks! But, IF a P5 came calling someday I will be shocked. USF has had so many chances in the past to show that we belong and has lain turds every time.

We will get another chance…but the term power five may be gone to power four.