Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,836
  • Content Count:  5,592
  • Days Won:  13

6 minutes ago, widerberg said:

So, who would be in a southeast conference? The article didn't mention in. The AAC is pretty crap as it is, so would it really make that much of a difference if we joined a regional conference? I don't know. On paper, it would be cheaper for schools and easier for students due to the shorter travel. The TV money would be a big question, though.

We're in a dumpster fire, I don't know that it matters where in the dumpster we're sitting. Maybe one end is slightly less hot?

Hypothetically -- and I neither like nor advocate this idea -- using the states of Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and South Carolina there are 10 schools:

USF, FAU, FIU, Ga Southern, Ga State, UAB, Troy, So Alabama, So Miss, & Coastal Carolina

North Carolina, Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, West Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, and Oklahoma would be the 11 remaining schools

ECU, Charlotte, App State, Old Dominion, Western KY, Memphis, Middle Tennessee, Marshal, Navy, Temple, & Tulsa

The article posted earlier lists the teams from Arkansas, Louisiana, and Texas giving 12 teams:

Arkansas State, Louisiana, Louisiana-Monroe, Louisiana Tech, North Texas, Rice, SMU, Texas State, Tulane, UTEP and UTSA.

So in AAC, C-USA, and Sun Belt after Cincy, Houston, and UCF leave there are 33 schools... which doesn't make a well-balanced set of conferences.

It could be two sixteen-team conferences with one school left out.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  180
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Days Won:  14

No geographic diversity

Concentrated, redundant markets

No one will like this except the bottom tier cusa and sun belt schools who will save in travel

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,836
  • Content Count:  5,592
  • Days Won:  13

1 minute ago, hm101 said:

No geographic diversity

Concentrated, redundant markets

No one will like this except the bottom tier cusa and sun belt schools who will save in travel

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!  We have winner Johnny.  This is why it's a bad idea. It's basically three new "MAC" conferences.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  180
  • Content Count:  7,474
  • Days Won:  14

2 hours ago, Jim Johnson said:

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!  We have winner Johnny.  This is why it's a bad idea. It's basically three new "MAC" 

And does anyone think ECU or Marshall or Memphis want to give up their recruiting in Texas/Florida?

This should be a quick call on Monday.

• Like 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

18 minutes ago, hm101 said:

And does anyone think ECU or Marshall or Memphis want to give up their recruiting in Texas/Florida?

This should be a quick call on Monday.

Angry Season 4 GIF by The Office

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,787
  • Days Won:  3

11 hours ago, Jim Johnson said:

Hypothetically -- and I neither like nor advocate this idea -- using the states of Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi, and South Carolina there are 10 schools:

USF, FAU, FIU, Ga Southern, Ga State, UAB, Troy, So Alabama, So Miss, & Coastal Carolina

North Carolina, Virginia, Kentucky, Tennessee, West Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, and Oklahoma would be the 11 remaining schools

ECU, Charlotte, App State, Old Dominion, Western KY, Memphis, Middle Tennessee, Marshal, Navy, Temple, & Tulsa

The article posted earlier lists the teams from Arkansas, Louisiana, and Texas giving 12 teams:

Arkansas State, Louisiana, Louisiana-Monroe, Louisiana Tech, North Texas, Rice, SMU, Texas State, Tulane, UTEP and UTSA.

So in AAC, C-USA, and Sun Belt after Cincy, Houston, and UCF leave there are 33 schools... which doesn't make a well-balanced set of conferences.

It could be two sixteen-team conferences with one school left out.

Our current future conference is Temple, Tulsa, Tulane, ECU, USF, SMU, Memphis, Navy. 

Memphis and Navy seem like the top two programs in this league. Navy for its fan base, and Memphis for its recent football success and basketball program.

Also, in the conferences based on geography, I could see Navy going back to independent in that scenario. Allowing for two 16 team conferences easy.

Edit: I still think the most sensible, and fair plan is eight 16 team conferences with a 12 team playoff. The 8 champs get in, plus the next 4 highest ranked teams.

You could go even further and restructure them all by geography if you wanted, and if you had an iron hold give the conferences all a flat rate to deal across the board. I know none of this would fly ever, but in a perfect world.

Edited by Peatearpan

1 hour ago, Peatearpan said:

Our current future conference is Temple, Tulsa, Tulane, ECU, USF, SMU, Memphis, Navy. 

Memphis and Navy seem like the top two programs in this league. Navy for its fan base, and Memphis for its recent football success and basketball program.

Also, in the conferences based on geography, I could see Navy going back to independent in that scenario. Allowing for two 16 team conferences easy.

Edit: I still think the most sensible, and fair plan is eight 16 team conferences with a 12 team playoff. The 8 champs get in, plus the next 4 highest ranked teams.

You could go even further and restructure them all by geography if you wanted, and if you had an iron hold give the conferences all a flat rate to deal across the board. I know none of this would fly ever, but in a perfect world.

Why would Navy go independent and pay a $10 mil exit fee? 

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,787
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Why would Navy go independent and pay a $10 mil exit fee? 

If all 3 conferences restructured all together, why would the exit fee even stand? It’s all the teams simultaneously leaving and entering new conferences at the same time with one team left out. How and why would you enforce that rule?

25 minutes ago, Peatearpan said:

If all 3 conferences restructured all together, why would the exit fee even stand? It’s all the teams simultaneously leaving and entering new conferences at the same time with one team left out. How and why would you enforce that rule?

But all three are not going to restructure. Whatever you save in travel you lose much more relative to a TV contract.

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,094
  • Days Won:  2

14 hours ago, Jim Johnson said:

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!  We have winner Johnny.  This is why it's a bad idea. It's basically three new "MAC" conferences.

Yes but instead of the beloved "MACtion" we might end up with "Ohcraption"!  At this rate, I wonder if the Temple AD has dialed up the MAC commissioner to ask for readmittance. 

• Like 1