Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

Maybe we should entertain an invite to the MWC or any other conference just to put off the appearance that we are actually attractive to other conferences

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  370
  • Content Count:  6,587
  • Days Won:  37

I don't get what the appeal would be for any of these teams unless they are banking on a MWC collapse or they are tired of playing second fiddle to Boise State. They currently make $4 million per year in the MWC. The most they would make is $7 million per in the AAC, but I have to imagine ESPN will be looking to rework their deal following the departures of Connecticut, Cincy, Houston, and UCF. Add to that the exit fees of $12.5 million, and it seems to be a cost prohibitive move. Of course, the AAC might be subsidizing the exit fees for CSU and Air Force with the $30 million+ that will be paid by the three departing programs. It would make fiscal sense if it meant keeping the TV contract at or near the current $7 million per team. 

I can understand CUSA and Sun Belt teams wanting to make the move, as they make nearly nothing from their media rights deals (under $500,00 per school). If the AAC feels desperate enough to take in teams from those conferences, I would hope that they get them to agree to a reduced share of media rights for at least 5 years or so and, preferably, for the duration of the current contract. None of the programs would be adding any short term value to the ESPN deal. 

The ultimate answer in all of this for the AAC might be to just get to 10 teams and leave it at that, especially if the media rights deal can remain somewhat close to its current value. 

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,871
  • Days Won:  25

9 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

I don't get what the appeal would be for any of these teams unless they are banking on a MWC collapse or they are tired of playing second fiddle to Boise State. They currently make $4 million per year in the MWC. The most they would make is $7 million per in the AAC, but I have to imagine ESPN will be looking to rework their deal following the departures of Connecticut, Cincy, Houston, and UCF. Add to that the exit fees of $12.5 million, and it seems to be a cost prohibitive move. Of course, the AAC might be subsidizing the exit fees for CSU and Air Force with the $30 million+ that will be paid by the three departing programs. It would make fiscal sense if it meant keeping the TV contract at or near the current $7 million per team. 

I can understand CUSA and Sun Belt teams wanting to make the move, as they make nearly nothing from their media rights deals (under $500,00 per school). If the AAC feels desperate enough to take in teams from those conferences, I would hope that they get them to agree to a reduced share of media rights for at least 5 years or so and, preferably, for the duration of the current contract. None of the programs would be adding any short term value to the ESPN deal. 

The ultimate answer in all of this for the AAC might be to just get to 10 teams and leave it at that, especially if the media rights deal can remain somewhat close to its current value. 

So no Costal or Appy state? Come on sprinkle hem in with Air Force and CSU and things might be ok. Then discuss and see if you need to add two more. Killing the MWC and either cUSA or the sun belt wouldn’t hurt

Just now, Roaming Bull said:

So no Costal or Appy state? Come on sprinkle hem in with Air Force and CSU and things might be ok. Then discuss and see if you need to add two more. Killing the MWC and either cUSA or the sun belt wouldn’t hurt

You can't kill that which is not alive. CUSA and the Sun Belt are irrelevant. I suppose by taking two of their better teams you can ensure their continued relegation in the bowels of G5 football, but you likely do so at the expense of your per team payout for media rights. ESPN is invested in the AAC, which in turn leads to better coverage and more hyping/promoting of our teams. Ultimately, we will do whatever Media Daddy tells us to do. 

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,871
  • Days Won:  25

49 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

You can't kill that which is not alive. CUSA and the Sun Belt are irrelevant. I suppose by taking two of their better teams you can ensure their continued relegation in the bowels of G5 football, but you likely do so at the expense of your per team payout for media rights. ESPN is invested in the AAC, which in turn leads to better coverage and more hyping/promoting of our teams. Ultimately, we will do whatever Media Daddy tells us to do. 

Tough situation. We really can’t take value from the P5 conferences, so we either pull it from below or it has to be invent… err “created” from elsewhere. Not sure where that would be though.

• Topic Count:  4,799
  • Content Count:  38,285
  • Days Won:  29

1 hour ago, Roaming Bull said:

Tough situation. We really can’t take value from the P5 conferences, so we either pull it from below or it has to be invent… err “created” from elsewhere. Not sure where that would be though.

Beating P5 teams.

2 hours ago, Roaming Bull said:

I get that, but that is why you offer a teams like UTSA and UAB a lesser percentage of the media rights deal. For CSU and AF, it is pretty much a lateral move that would be done to get ahead of Boise bolting for the Big 12 at some point, so you have to sweeten the pot for them. However, for any CUSA or Sun Belt team, they would be improving their media rights payout by at least 700%, and that is if they are capped to say $3.5 million. These programs would be bidding against each other to join the league. Is there really much difference in current value between UAB, Coastal, App State, Charlotte, FIU, FAU, and UTSA? You are betting on the future of all of those programs and that is a crapshoot. To me, UTSA and UAB represent the best two options, followed by App State and FAU. Coastal Carolina, FIU, and Charlotte have stadium capacities of only 20,000, 20,000, and 15,000. Charlotte is the most likely to grow quickly, having only established football in the last 13 years, but they are probably about 5 to 10 years away from realizing their true potential. You make UAB and UTSA an offer with 50% for 50% of the per team media rights value. If either of them balk, then you move down the list to App State and FAU. Eventually, you will find 2 teams ready to make the move. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

3 hours ago, BullyPulpit said:

I get that, but that is why you offer a teams like UTSA and UAB a lesser percentage of the media rights deal. For CSU and AF, it is pretty much a lateral move that would be done to get ahead of Boise bolting for the Big 12 at some point, so you have to sweeten the pot for them. However, for any CUSA or Sun Belt team, they would be improving their media rights payout by at least 700%, and that is if they are capped to say $3.5 million. These programs would be bidding against each other to join the league. Is there really much difference in current value between UAB, Coastal, App State, Charlotte, FIU, FAU, and UTSA? You are betting on the future of all of those programs and that is a crapshoot. To me, UTSA and UAB represent the best two options, followed by App State and FAU. Coastal Carolina, FIU, and Charlotte have stadium capacities of only 20,000, 20,000, and 15,000. Charlotte is the most likely to grow quickly, having only established football in the last 13 years, but they are probably about 5 to 10 years away from realizing their true potential. You make UAB and UTSA an offer with 50% for 50% of the per team media rights value. If either of them balk, then you move down the list to App State and FAU. Eventually, you will find 2 teams ready to make the move. 

I just don’t see what any CUSA/Sbelt team brings. The best move is try to get one more MWC team and stick at 10. Wait and see if anything else might shake out. If you need one of those teams from the Cusa or Sun Belt you can wait and get them…they will always be there. 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,427
  • Content Count:  98,351
  • Days Won:  490

But the money, you say. Yeah? Read the fine print. CBS Sports’ Dennis Dodd reported earlier this month that ESPN has a clause in its contract with the AAC over “membership composition” that could reduce future payments if the league lost its biggest television markets.

The MW’s deal with FOX and CBS Sports is reportedly worth roughly $4.1 million annually to the Rams. ESPN pays AAC members around $7 million a year — but that was before Houston (No. 8 TV market) Orlando (No. 17) and Cincinnati (No. 36) left the room.

AAC commish Mike Aresco is going to make the argument to the Disney suits that Broncos Country is AAC Country. But when your replacement plan includes Colorado Springs/Pueblo (No. 82 market, 0.38 million TV households) and Fort Collins, you better believe Mickey Mouse is going to want some of that cheese back in his pockets.

CSU_WYOMING_1077.jpg?w=640

Steve Addazio is an East Coast lifer. The man makes all kinds of sense in the AAC. The Rams, even at their most beggared and abject, do not. And never will.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  180
  • Content Count:  7,475
  • Days Won:  14

6 hours ago, E.T. said:

Beating P5 teams.

Truth be told our p5 record is actually decent in the last 5 years. Conference realignment is about consistently strong institutions that can generate steady revenue streams. THAT is what we need to demonstrate.