Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  19,587
  • Days Won:  255

10 minutes ago, MSBulls said:

I just read 8 pages worth of freak-out but I don't think everyone read the article... See excerpt below:

"The Big 12 ended up with 12 finalists for expansion in 2016: Air Force, Brigham Young, Central Florida, Cincinnati, Colorado State, Connecticut, Houston, Rice, South Florida, Southern Methodist, Temple and Tulane. 

Other applications were received. Schools that did not make the cut were Arkansas State, Boise State, East Carolina, Memphis, New Mexico, Northern Illinois, San Diego State and Nevada-Las Vegas. 

This time around, the top contenders are expected to be BYU, Central Florida, Cincinnati, Houston, Boise State, SMU and Memphis"

This really doesn't concern me at all. This isn't breaking news, or a reported list from a 'source'... To me it reads like what everyone else is doing. Making assumptions and this is another one based on current football teams. 'Expected' - By who? Tramel? That's great, I have an expected list and so do thousands of other people. Does Memphis few years of football success recently really make up for them not making the cut four years ago because they are miserable academically? There was another article written by a K-State source saying they don't think Memphis is a strong candidate. And if they want to sacrifice a media rights contract with Boise State in it over someone like us, so be it. Enjoy that Boise Idaho market and very valuable TV money you'll get from that. They can take Boise's ridiculously low academic rating along with it. Literally the only thing attractive about Boise is there MWC success for years, and their colored field if that tickles your fancy.

I'm not saying we get in or making any prediction here, I'm just saying this article literally reads like nothing (unless I misread something) and there's a long way to go. 4 years ago we reportedly would have made the cut with Cincy, UCF, and another 1-3 teams. They clearly liked us. If they decide to make decisions based on teams who are currently good and expecting it to stay that way, best of luck to them. 

It ain't over yet folks. Let's trust MK and win some football games. About all we can do. 

You read it correctly, I’m not sure anyone is freaking out about the article we are simply debating which manure it is better to be stuck with while we await our SEC invite 

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,328
  • Days Won:  1

1 minute ago, puc86 said:

We are already playing with **** it’s then a matter of which grade we are with are looking at and a left behind B12 is like civet **** compared to a left behind AAC which is like rat **** slowly giving our program the plague. A reformed B12 has better teams, it has a better brand, it makes more money, it draws more fans and is even ultimately closer to the playoffs which has made clear has no path for the AAC. There is no argument to be had the B12 is the safer play for anyone that had the option even if it isn’t the SEC.

At the end of the day the B12 2.0 will slowly become the newest addition to G5 irrelevancy if the CFP remains at 4 teams. 

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  19,587
  • Days Won:  255

Just now, Bull Nut said:

At the end of the day the B12 2.0 will slowly become the newest addition to G5 irrelevancy if the CFP remains at 4 teams. 

But still firmly stationed above the AAC which is why it’s an obvious jump that will be taken by anyone that has the opportunity 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  549

13 minutes ago, puc86 said:

You read it correctly, I’m not sure anyone is freaking out about the article we are simply debating which manure it is better to be stuck with while we await our SEC invite 

Wasn't referencing every comment on the thread for 8 pages (If it read that way, I probably lost myself in all the catching up and reading of the article, while seeing the way it was presented). More so the earlier ones in direct response to the original post that seemed to conveniently exclude the term 'Expected'.... That was a Torello move there going bait fishing @NewEnglandBull 😆

Just posting that for everyone earlier on who got nervous by the selective text used in posting...

Edited by MSBulls
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  1,328

11 minutes ago, puc86 said:

But still firmly stationed above the AAC which is why it’s an obvious jump that will be taken by anyone that has the opportunity 

Remove Texas and Oklahoma and the AAC has the same number of top 25 teams in 2020-2021 season as the remaining B12 teams. 

2019-2020 AAC-3 vs B12 2.0-2

I could keep going but it's getting late

Edited by Bull Nut

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

20 minutes ago, MSBulls said:

Wasn't referencing every comment on the thread for 8 pages (If it read that way, I probably lost myself in all the catching up and reading of the article, while seeing the way it was presented). More so the earlier ones in direct response to the original post that seemed to conveniently exclude the term 'Expected'.... That was a Torello move there going bait fishing @NewEnglandBull 😆

Just posting that for everyone earlier on who got nervous by the selective text used in posting...

Of course we still can get in to a better situation but my interpretation (based on who he is) is that it is  “expected” that at least two of these teams will have a better chance than those not on this list. Based on the teams mentioned it really should not be a surprise. I still say it does not bode well for us. Maybe they take only UC and BYU and we live another day. who knows maybe MK can pull a rabbit out of his butt. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  549

10 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Of course we still can get in to a better situation but my interpretation (based on who he is) is that it is  “expected” that at least two of these teams will have a better chance than those not on this list. Based on the teams mentioned it really should not be a surprise. I still say it does not bode well for us. Maybe they take only UC and BYU and we live another day. who knows maybe MK can pull a rabbit out of his butt. 

That's fair. I don't think anyone sees a situation where Cincy, UCF, BYU aren't top 3. I don't think I've seen anyone with those schools outside of the favorites list anywhere, so I'd consider that expected too. Just nothing new we've learned. It's those 4-6 slots that are the big ones. Compared to the other options we certainly are a reasonable one. We can even show what we previously did in a larger conference. Who knows what will happen

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,941
  • Days Won:  436

1 hour ago, puc86 said:

And if it wasn’t wrong those teams would have been selected instead because they certainly were available and still are 

Except expansion wasn’t based strictly on football so using P5 invites to try and validate the conferences football quality doesn’t hold water. USF‘s AAC has been a better football conference than USF’s CUSA and it’s not even close. 

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  22,689
  • Days Won:  52

10 hours ago, El_Toro_86 said:

Who cares?  At that point, my interest level in USF would wane.  Playing Temple, Tulane, Tulsa and UAB while Oviedo plays Ok State TCU and Texas Tech would just about kill it for me.

This would put the nail in one of the biggest fails I've seen in managing a brand, so yes.  I think that would kill it for a lot of fans.  Not that playing these random teams out west matters, but that we made zero moves and got totally outcompeted on every level.  

I've never seen a brand with so much potential not even try.  Tampa Bay blows away Orlando in every way.  How was LRS and CJL able to do it?  

Our fans are in the same boat though with their preference for luxury boxes and video boards in the feasibility survey over having a basic stadium and real on campus culture/identity (your reply: blablabla Pitt and Miami).  I still can't believe that one...  That sums up the USF aesthetic to me.  The 2010s were a delusion and a catastrophic coaching hire in CCS.  

Fingers crossed for 2020s and that someone (external or internal to the program) can see our potential before we run it into the ditch for good.  I think we have the right coach now but we have zero in the way of buzz and brand awareness.  Thank God we are breaking ground on this facility...  We need the Titanic deck chairs to hang on for 2 years while we get our heads out of our rears as an org.

Edited by Rocky Style
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  586
  • Content Count:  23,143
  • Days Won:  109

8 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Of course we still can get in to a better situation but my interpretation (based on who he is) is that it is  “expected” that at least two of these teams will have a better chance than those not on this list. Based on the teams mentioned it really should not be a surprise. I still say it does not bode well for us. Maybe they take only UC and BYU and we live another day. who knows maybe MK can pull a rabbit out of his butt

All I can say is that the guy is working the phone constantly.  Doesn't mean we get in because, like the break up of the BE, this is really out of any one person's hands. If it doesn't work out it won't be for lack of trying.

• Go Bulls! 1