Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  370
  • Content Count:  6,587
  • Days Won:  37

2 minutes ago, Peatearpan said:

I guess What’s 3 more years?

ESPN coverage is so bad, I hate the cutaways to talk about other teams CFP implications, I hate the personalities, I hate that politics has entered a sports channel.

Their streaming service is subpar for a paid service. Hulu live has their **** together. I wouldn’t mind seeing Hulu, Netflix, HBO plus signing some deals for conference/team rights.

That's the problem. Expansion would likely take it out well beyond 3 years. We would probably be looking at another decade or so of ESPN control. Which means SEC control. Which is the reason for this "Alliance" talk. 

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

7 minutes ago, Peatearpan said:

I guess What’s 3 more years?

ESPN coverage is so bad, I hate the cutaways to talk about other teams CFP implications, I hate the personalities, I hate that politics has entered a sports channel.

Their streaming service is subpar for a paid service. Hulu live has their **** together. I wouldn’t mind seeing Hulu, Netflix, HBO plus signing some deals for conference/team rights.

Amazon has a lot of cash. It probably wouldn't be too much of a dent in their bucket to just get the media rights to every G5 team. 

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  549
  • Days Won:  1

We've had an uncanny ability to fall completely flat on our face every time movement begins to happen this past decade. We just can't seem to time up well with everyone else. We were in a good position I believe in 2016/17... but then nothing came of it. 

These discussions heating up, whether the actual movement happens now or in a couple years, means we better get it together quick. The Big 12 if they want to survive can't afford to wait another 5 years like they did in 2016. It's either Aresco works to confirm teams moving to the AAC for a super conference or we need to put the full court press on right now to build the relationships to get in the Big 12. Shocking NC State a week from tonight would be nice too.

Personally, I think the UCF rumors are a good thing for us. I see us as a package deal, which especially comes in to play for the Olympic Sports. It just doesn't make sense for them to take one of USF or UCF. Plus, you get some great rivalry viewership on Black Friday. It's had better viewership than some of the Big 12's current rivalry week games....

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  220
  • Content Count:  3,671
  • Days Won:  19

12 hours ago, Sellular1 said:

Sinking Classic Film GIF by Det Danske Filminstitut

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,780
  • Days Won:  3

9 minutes ago, MSBulls said:

We've had an uncanny ability to fall completely flat on our face every time movement begins to happen this past decade. We just can't seem to time up well with everyone else. We were in a good position I believe in 2016/17... but then nothing came of it. 

These discussions heating up, whether the actual movement happens now or in a couple years, means we better get it together quick. The Big 12 if they want to survive can't afford to wait another 5 years like they did in 2016. It's either Aresco works to confirm teams moving to the AAC for a super conference or we need to put the full court press on right now to build the relationships to get in the Big 12. Shocking NC State a week from tonight would be nice too.

Personally, I think the UCF rumors are a good thing for us. I see us as a package deal, which especially comes in to play for the Olympic Sports. It just doesn't make sense for them to take one of USF or UCF. Plus, you get some great rivalry viewership on Black Friday. It's had better viewership than some of the Big 12's current rivalry week games....

Big 12 fell flat on their face too by not being aggressive last cycle. Why on earth would they stay at 10 teams?

I think we give NC State a better game than they expect. I don’t think we scare them though, or get the upset. I think we start strong and fade as the game goes on

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  549
  • Days Won:  1

4 minutes ago, Peatearpan said:

Big 12 fell flat on their face too by not being aggressive last cycle. Why on earth would they stay at 10 teams?

I think we give NC State a better game than they expect. I don’t think we scare them though, or get the upset. I think we start strong and fade as the game goes on

Agree on all accounts. They totally messed up 5 years ago, and now they have one more chance to make it work. They have no choice but to act on it this time unless all their teams choose to leave. I don't think we beat NC State either but if we do, that gives us a nice little perception boost. And the game at BYU in Week 4... A little expansion battle now. More juice to that one

• Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

1 minute ago, MSBulls said:

Agree on all accounts. They totally messed up 5 years ago, and now they have one more chance to make it work. They have no choice but to act on it this time unless all their teams choose to leave. I don't think we beat NC State either but if we do, that gives us a nice little perception boost. And the game at BYU in Week 4... A little expansion battle now. More juice to that one

Beating just one of NC State or BYU would be huge for attendance purposes. The casual fans will be a lot more excited to go to games if we're 2-2 going into conference play with a win over a respected power opponent. Being 1-3 going into conference play we could see attendances in the 20k-25k range and that would doom us as an expansion candidate

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

Just wanted to pop in and admire that this thread has endured the test of time and the pillars of speculation and rumor will support this everlasting debate for many years to come.

Parks And Recreation Reaction GIF

And for my official take - the powers that be don't want to allow the Big 12-x to rebuild. The SEC will whisper "16 is king", and the others will scramble to add leftovers to get to 16 themselves, or as close as possible [looking at you Pac "barely gonna make it to" 14]. The AAC will pound its chest and try to invite the 3-4 leftovers, but the brand equity and name of the Big 12/14/16 will essentially involve a merger, keep the Big 12 name, and it will become the P4 and Aresco/Bowlsby will scream "Pee Five" from the pit as the four super conferences lower the basket of lotion and offer them a playoff spot if a team can go undefeated 3 years in a row with a SoS in the top 30.

• Upvote 4

• Topic Count:  493
  • Content Count:  12,672
  • Days Won:  25

12 minutes ago, Peatearpan said:

Why? There's only two reasons to fade, depth and/or coaching. All reports are that we are a lot deeper than last year, culture and attitude has improved 100%, so it's up to the coaches to make the in game adjustments. 

Thoughts?

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,423
  • Content Count:  98,293
  • Days Won:  490

Not deep enough, the insiders will tell you that.  The coaches won't.

• Upvote 1