Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  19,616
  • Days Won:  255

4 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

So you have zero interest in playing in a playoff game…ok, got it. 

At present how many playoff games would we be giving up exactly? Plus I’m pretty sure this says we get in at the same likely hood as we would otherwise unless you expect to be the highest ranked G5 champion at number 20 in the country rather regularly. Either way we have to win 12-13 games most seasons and compete with most of college football for the same 1-2 spots I guess the AAC does give us marginally better odds as 1 spot will go to the best of the worst 60 no matter what and the other 6 spots will go to anyone but it’s not quite the all or nothing statement you have made and historically the difference between what would be required for the one autobid vs one of the 6 wildcards is negligible, assuming of course they actually move forward with 6 champs and then actually keep it that way.

6F05BE84-B5F7-4C4A-AE65-C0107DB766B6.png

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

6 minutes ago, puc86 said:

At present how many playoff games would we be giving up exactly? Plus I’m pretty sure this says we get in at the same likely hood as we would otherwise unless you expect to be the highest ranked G5 champion at number 20 in the country rather regularly. Either way we have to win 12-13 games most seasons and compete with most of college football for the same 1-2 spots I guess the AAC does give us marginally better odds as 1 spot will go to the best of the worst 60 no matter what and the other 6 spots will go to anyone but it’s not quite the all or nothing statement you have made and historically the difference between what would be required for the one autobid vs one of the 6 wildcards is negligible, assuming of course they actually move forward with 6 champs and then actually keep it that way.

6F05BE84-B5F7-4C4A-AE65-C0107DB766B6.png

Since, this discussion is about the future, I would hope to say that we would be giving up many opportunities to be in the playoffs. As an independent. Yes there’s always a chance, but the likelihood is that Brigham Young and Notre Dame will take the spots in most cases. Further, the other power conferences will take the others. Now, if the playoffs go to 16 teams then yes we might be having a different discussion.

22 minutes ago, Triple B said:

If we were dumb enough to go Indy, they'd be even dumber to keep playing us ....

We were dumb enough to start playing them again after we determined they were not in our interest and even bring them into a conference with us along with it, true package deals don’t let a silly thing like conference affiliation or best interests get in the way of the glory that comes from hoisting a prize as glorious as an I-4 road sign 

2 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Since, this discussion is about the future, I would hope to say that we would be giving up many opportunities to be in the playoffs. As an independent. Yes there’s always a chance, but the likelihood is that Brigham Young and Notre Dame will take the spots in most cases. Further, the other power conferences will take the others. Now, if the playoffs go to 16 teams then yes we might be having a different discussion.

All you have to do is finish in the top 12 if you don’t think the highest ranked G5 team is capable of doing that most seasons I really don’t understand what’s worth fighting for about maintaining our footing in it. How many times do you honestly believe a sub 12 G5 champ is going to stop a third or fourth sec team from making the the playoffs before that idea is revisited?

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,427
  • Content Count:  98,345
  • Days Won:  490

48 minutes ago, SilverBull said:

I guess this must be what some are thinking but I think that is misguided.  We aren't Notre Dame.  As for comparing our 2021 schedule to New Mexico State's, while I don't think ours is anything to crow about, I also don't think it even a close call that ours is better theirs.  I have read where some pundits have rated NMSU last in SOS.

47 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Agreed…thank you.

It is safe to say they have better non-conference opponents than we have conference opponents.  Also humorous that they play a team we talk about adding to our AAC across America conference.  My only point is that schedule is not bad for an abandoned bastard child of a program.  Alabama and Kentucky haven't abandoned them.  Nor have our common opponents Utah State, Nevada, UTEP, San Jose State, South Carolina State and UMass.

star trek GIF

47 minutes ago, Brad said:

Not to detract from your explanation, but some suppose the 12 team playoff dies with the SEC vs PAc12/Big10/ACC situation.  I'd bet with that.  

As for UCF if it is the big game you call it, we could play them regardless of conference affiliation.  

42 minutes ago, Triple B said:

If we were dumb enough to go Indy, they'd be even dumber to keep playing us ....

I'm only trying to believe what all the USF UCF fans have been saying since we came into existence as a DI-AA.  It's a natural rivalry, we're bound together, connected at the hip, too close not to play, the geography dictates it.  If not it will be legislated that we play.  At the very least maybe we dupe their President.

But if you're telling me they have a more savvy approach to running a program, I might be able to agree with that.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  220
  • Content Count:  3,671
  • Days Won:  19

5 minutes ago, Brad said:

It is safe to say they have better non-conference opponents than we have conference opponents.  [?]

I'm pretty sure the Aggies have better games.

-- Tracy Morgan, independent guy

image.jpeg

Safe to say = certain.

But I love those commercials, it's a great series.

Reminds of another great series when Tracy Morgan did the EA games series.  I still laugh at those..."Big Ben Wallace..."

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  220
  • Content Count:  3,671
  • Days Won:  19

2 minutes ago, Brad said:

Safe to say = certain.

Safe to say that I, and many others, totally disagree; however, beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

3 hours ago, puc86 said:

All you have to do is finish in the top 12 if you don’t think the highest ranked G5 team is capable of doing that most seasons I really don’t understand what’s worth fighting for about maintaining our footing in it. How many times do you honestly believe a sub 12 G5 champ is going to stop a third or fourth sec team from making the the playoffs before that idea is revisited?

Independents are the bastard child, other than the two previous schools mentioned the others won’t have a chance. Plus you want to load the schedule with big time schools which you are not going to win…just s reality.