Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  19,616
  • Days Won:  255

7 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

In my opinion, that is correct.

So you are a fatalist that absolves any decision because  no matter what you do it doesn't matter to your destiny, with the one exclusion being if you go independent? Then by leaving the security the aac provides of losing money every year, losing fans every year and losing relevancy every year and immediately destroy your program quickly instead of brick by brick, is that correct? For me I cannot recall a single instance in life where I did not directly impact my outcomes. If nothing really matters and anyone can see I do not see why you would worry about independence at all as the football G-ds will simply will as they may. Strangely I can make a very comparable argument about why staying married is the safer bet in life and yet for some reason you were able to recognize sometimes you have to bite the bullet, throw caution to the wind and brave the world as all must be, alone. Then you can decide whats best for you without an albatross upon your neck tethering you to the very prison that has branded itself as safety. 

4 hours ago, Bull Nut said:

did-you-eat-peanut-butter-or-something-you-sound-like-28804199.png

So not a Bette Midler or beaches fan? Noted. Maybe Queen and Robert Frost will land better and if not I just will work on incorporating something like if your not first your last, pissing excellence (which I’m pretty sure I’ve used), only Tom Cruise being able to save us or you can simply make a request.

• Haha 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  220
  • Content Count:  3,671
  • Days Won:  19

2 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Today, other than Notre Dane and perhaps Army (although they are small time), to be an independent is to be a loser…a bastard child that nobody wants. 

I would add BYU to the relatively successful independents.  But to be a successful independent it appears you need a pretty good backstop and built-in fan base, e.g.:

Notre Dame -- Catholicism

BYU -- Mormonism

Army -- Americanism (other than the Navy, that is).

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,427
  • Content Count:  98,346
  • Days Won:  490

I really don't see much difference (outside of the freedom and availability to join a conference if the mood arises).   I looked at scorned bastard child New Mexico State after they were mentioned yesterday.  They seem alright.  Not sure hopping into a conference makes any difference for them.  Although I guess they'd fit in the AAC as much as one of the T schools.

6 minutes ago, SilverBull said:

I would add BYU to the relatively successful independents.  But to be a successful independent it appears you need a pretty good backstop and built-in fan base, e.g.:

BYU -- Mormonism

I’m reaching out to David Miscavige as we speak so we we have to get audited occasionally, talk about Dianetics on the way in, our games will be the only sports on Scientology network and we may have to change our mascot to the operating thetans, so what, who cares.

1 hour ago, SilverBull said:

The Big Ten, Pac-12 and ACC are expected to make a formal announcement about their alignment soon.

This will put out the remaining embers of the Big 12. 

AAC can pick up pieces, but it doesn't make them P5.  Unless, of course, Aresco announces the AAC's new alignment with the SEC.  😂

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

29 minutes ago, puc86 said:

So you are a fatalist that absolves any decision because  no matter what you do it doesn't matter to your destiny, with the one exclusion being if you go independent? Then by leaving the security the aac provides of losing money every year, losing fans every year and losing relevancy every year and immediately destroy your program quickly instead of brick by brick, is that correct? For me I cannot recall a single instance in life where I did not directly impact my outcomes. If nothing really matters and anyone can see I do not see why you would worry about independence at all as the football G-ds will simply will as they may. Strangely I can make a very comparable argument about why staying married is the safer bet in life and yet for some reason you were able to recognize sometimes you have to bite the bullet, throw caution to the wind and brave the world as all must be, alone. Then you can decide whats best for you without an albatross upon your neck tethering you to the very prison that has branded itself as safety. 

Fatalism is determined by the actions of the past. Thus, it is not I who has made that determination but instead the actions of past USF administrations. In terms of outcomes, your erroneous position that independence of the football program will bring some type of nirvana as we are getting pummeled game after game (mostly on the road) does not add up financially. We will be no better than Umass and maybe have a year or two like Liberty with no where to go for the post season (no bowl and no access to a 12 team playoff). Last, comparing marriage to a game that in the long run has little impact on ones life is an imbalanced comparison (especially from the millions of dollars on the football side). Our destiny will never be with the big programs of college football but it does not mean we can’t be decent (bowl games, conference championships, and playoffs). But with your suggestion of going independent we cannot even achieve decency. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

26 minutes ago, SilverBull said:

BYU -- Mormonism

Correct, the religious perspective is more to do with BYU. They have won a national championship and have a national brand and national following. Notre Dame has the best of both worlds, many like the team and many like the religious affiliation. Army…no one really cares until the Army Navy game. In the end we have no brand and no great following of fans…except us on this board and a few thousand more. 

7 minutes ago, Brad said:

The Big Ten, Pac-12 and ACC are expected to make a formal announcement about their alignment soon.

This will put out the remaining embers of the Big 12. 

AAC can pick up pieces, but it doesn't make them P5.  Unless, of course, Aresco announces the AAC's new alignment with the SEC.  😂

I’ve heard that if you sell people that if they tether themselves to you as a package you will be stronger together and be able to move them to the next level that they will often times go against their best interest and raise you up to their level for no explicable reason. So just tell the SEC that together we will move to the NFL and I have no reason to believe they wouldn’t buy it hook like and sinker.