Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  19,617
  • Days Won:  255

6 minutes ago, Sellular1 said:

Was just joking… but I do enjoy your perspective on things and agree with a lot of it.

I assumed as much but I would have been just as fine had you not have been. I just don’t like that we tend to convey a defeatist attitude from the top and then if you don’t buy into it’s all the consumers fault that we can’t have the tools necessary to win games that’s some how the negative position. It more than possible to win here and if someone doesn’t have a plan for the things they actually control at the place they actually took employment they shouldn’t be working there and need to go where they feel they can actually be of service. I can’t go to the Kia dealership take a job and when they ask me why I can’t sell things tell them it’s because they sell kias and not BMWs, if me being able to do the basics of my job requires everything around me not be what I signed up for that’s not a very executable plan and it’s pretty destined for failure.  

11 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

New Mexico State, Umass, and Uconn say hi…

4>3 and I would hardly argue they are in far worse position than we are especially when 4 are pretty obviously better positioned. If this was year 3 of the AAC I would definitely understand the pushback but at some point fear of failure can’t be the reason not to go for it because that seems to already be happening and if we can’t navigate our current course for an ever growing number of years it only makes sense at some point to try a new path. Do we make money in the AAC? Nope. Have we maintained our fanbase? Nope. Have we lost or gained respect? Lost. Have we demonstrated a maintainable path of success? Sure haven’t. So what exactly are we afraid to lose at this point? The dream that one day this all works out and wasn’t for not?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,958
  • Days Won:  436

41 minutes ago, puc86 said:

You think we are better situated than either Liberty and Army? From a results perspective both will obviously be better this season than we could dream. Liberty is seeming to be building a pretty impressive athletics program and I believe finished in the top 25 last season and from a solvency standpoint our athletics in the AAC with a perpetual upside down budget certainly seems less stable than their independence.  So who faired better? Historically pretty much anyone that’s ever tried it including ourselves and currently pretty much the majority of people that are independent.

Coastal Carolina is seeming to be building a pretty impressive athletics program and finished in the top 15 last season so maybe we should see if the Sun Belt will take us?

And as someone who thinks that the AAC teams are what's keeping the fringe fans from RayJay, take a look at Liberty's home schedule over the years .... Remembering we are closer in stature to them than any of the other "better situated" Independent programs you're touting, we've certainly got a lot more to lose, mainly in revenue, than we have to gain.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

10 minutes ago, puc86 said:

4>3 and I would hardly argue they are in far worse position than we are especially when 4 are pretty obviously better positioned. If this was year 3 of the AAC I would definitely understand the pushback but at some point fear of failure can’t be the reason not to go for it because that seems to already be happening and if we can’t navigate our current course for an ever growing number of years it only makes sense at some point to try a new path. Do we make money in the AAC? Nope. Have we maintained our fanbase? Nope. Have we lost or gained respect? Lost. Have we demonstrated a maintainable path of success? Sure haven’t. So what exactly are we afraid to lose at this point? The dream that one day this all works out and wasn’t for not?

If we go to 12 for playoffs then you just hit the dumb idea button. Also, who do you think really is going to schedule us? Do you think our schedules going to get that much better? Take a look at many of those schools you just mentioned.

Edited by NewEnglandBull

1 minute ago, Triple B said:

Coastal Carolina is seeming to be building a pretty impressive athletics program and finished in the top 15 last season so maybe we should see if the Sun Belt will take us?

And as someone who thinks that the AAC teams are what's keeping the fringe fans from RayJay, take a look at Liberty's home schedule over the years .... Remembering we are closer in stature to them than any of the other "better situated" Independent programs you're touting, we've certainly got a lot more to lose, mainly in revenue, than we have to gain.

My plan involves the one that those before us in the state braved and I honestly believe is a better business model than the one we are failing at. Not having a home stadium that requires debt service  and fans that are fickle and would show up in droves for bigger games and have no desire to fill a quarter of the stadium for most games makes having maximized home games actually negative equity. Load up on payday games and unbalanced schedules, make more profit on away games than we make from all of the AAC, sell more tickets to games people want to see and don’t play games and pay to rent a stadium for games people have told you roughly 50 times so far they have no interest in, build a reputation as a road warrior, develop a more national base as the David that sometimes slays Goliath and when we have a few games of value on the calendar at home we  can probably sell the games based on the value of the opponent for more than our current contract even if it’s to the network that usually carries them and it’s at a reduced rate. At some point it pays off and we move up and if it doesn’t we could always go back to whatever the aac is called at that point and play the same nameless faces to the same amount of fans but at least know we took our shot and actually tried to bet on us instead of just drudging along at mediocrity because it’s comfortable.

14 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

If we go to 12 for playoffs then you just hit the dumb idea button. Also, who do you think really is going to schedule us? Do you think our schedules going to get that much better? Take a look at many of those schools you just mentioned.

With right offer pretty much anyone that we would like, do you think Florida signed us because of AAC name recognition or because it is  a close easy trip they think they can win and give their fans another home game. No marquee team has ever came to Ray Jay since we have been AAC because of the conference they felt the offer got them more than other offers and got them to Florida. None of that changes except we now how have more flexibility and less negative equity tying up most of our schedule. Most teams play a slew of patsies in there out of conference schedule certainly we can bring more to the table than middle of nowhere FCS state then we take their money and start punching people in the face. 

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,828
  • Days Won:  6

2 hours ago, Brad said:

@puc86 has become more obtuse and unable to pull the nose up at all.  It makes him hard to take for some.

failed crash and burn GIF by truTV’s Bobcat Goldthwait’s Misfits & Monsters

It's one of his toughest seasons.  I understand.

I on the other hand am joyous that we have another season about to get underway whether we're in the P6.5 or not.

Let's play.

Go Bulls!

And now for a good conference rumor..

And WVU thinks they’re on an island in the B12, yikes!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  586
  • Content Count:  23,149
  • Days Won:  109

12 minutes ago, puc86 said:

My plan involves the one that those before us in the state braved and I honestly believe is a better business model than the one we are failing at. Not having a home stadium that requires debt service  and fans that are fickle and would show up in droves for bigger games and have no desire to fill a quarter of the stadium for most games makes having maximized home games actually negative equity. Load up on payday games and unbalanced schedules, make more profit on away games than we make from all of the AAC, sell more tickets to games people want to see and don’t play games and pay to rent a stadium for games people have told you roughly 50 times so far they have no interest in, build a reputation as a road warrior, develop a more national base as the David that sometimes slays Goliath and when we have a few games of value on the calendar at home we  can probably sell the games based on the value of the opponent for more than our current contract even if it’s to the network that usually carries them and it’s at a reduced rate. At some point it pays off and we move up and if it doesn’t we could always go back to whatever the aac is called at that point and play the same nameless faces to the same amount of fans but at least know we took our shot and actually tried to bet on us instead of just drudging along at mediocrity because it’s comfortable.

5 minutes ago, puc86 said:

With right offer pretty much anyone that we would like, do you think Florida signed us because of AAC name recognition or because it is  a close easy trip they think they can win and give their fans another home game. No marquee team has ever came to Ray Jay since we have been AAC because of the conference they felt the offer got them more than other offers and got them to Florida. None of that changes except we now how have more flexibility and less negative equity tying up most of our schedule. Most teams play a slew of patsies in there out of conference schedule certainly we can bring more to the table than middle of nowhere FCS state then we take their money and start punching people in the face. 

I just wanted you to the quantity of crap you put out. Go talk to your wife and leave us alone.😀

• Haha 3

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

7 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Ok we get 2 decent games a year as an independent (which we do now in the AAC)…what about the other 10 weeks? We would be playing UMass and New Mexico State. Then what? Also we will get less than $1 mil a year for a tv contract for our home games. This is really a stupid idea… 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

9 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Ok we get 2 decent games a year as an independent (which we do now in the AAC)…what about the other 10 weeks? We would be playing UMass and New Mexico State. Then what? Also we will get less than $1 mil a year for a tv contract for our home games. This is really a stupid idea… 

Why do you come up with two? We are currently limited because we have less games to trade in order to occasionally get a team people want here because we need to waste 8 games on teams no one cares if they happen or not and most of the time can only negatively impact attendance.

If it requires inventing the 3 for one go for it and have three games at home that are sold out and the only payments made on a stadium and win some of those, then say hey Louisville and WVU remember us, well florida played us for 3-1 as well as Fsu and Miami so since we are old friends and you don’t have quite that market appeal we are going to offer a very special 2-1, which then brings us to four home games on average that still attract more attendance and sold seats than the 6 or even 7 current slate. Then you keep transitioning to better deals as you leverage others against one another.

We aren’t originally competing with Alabama, LSU, PSU and the like for a spot on the schedule for we are competing against G5 and FCS teams for one of the bottom spots on the schedule while having greater flexibility to negotiate, a better spot for a home and home, and not having a stadium that needs a game to be played to pay for it. 

No one makes it big from the middle in life by keeping their nose down and just following the easy path, if you want to change your course you have to reinvent your path and do something earth shattering. I know you like the idea of an AAC championship and this doesn’t allow that to happen but more people would care about beating someone they have heard of every once and a while and since there is no such thing as a home game for you I’m not sure why you would care if we just played 12 away games for pay every year.

I’m sure there are people that wouldn’t like being a road warrior and may not pick that path but I’m pretty sure some kids would gravitate towards playing a p5 slate when they got their P5 scholarship pulled last minute to make room for a surprise signing, or maybe felt they wasted a way on the bench and want to show them they could play. 

Dare to be different