Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  11,248
  • Days Won:  68

1 hour ago, brybull1970 said:

No, I read the summary of the original suit, but thought the plaintiff's answer summarized it better than having anyone who wanted to dig through it and cobble it out of the original.

No, you probably read the above the law article written by a militant nut that tried to tie it all together.  I read the entire decision as well and no way you made this assumption from the ruling IMO, no need to answer because I doubt you would own up to it anyways.  

1 minute ago, brybull1970 said:

I read a couple of articles and then decided to read the answer myself to see if it was written with any slant. I get it, you like things the way they are and don't want to see anything change. That's fine, but the players are getting wise and college athletics are going to go through a massive transformational change in the next 5 years. Ignore it, pretend that its not happening, or convince yourself otherwise, but the players themselves feels like slavery, and I am going to give more weight to their experience than your nosebleed view of the situation.

That is what I thought and I actually agree with you on the changes coming.  I have no doubt college athletics will be turned up on its head and not even sure if we will be able to afford a team in 5 years or if I will even care.  I just found the notion that they feel and you feel that they are being treated like slaves as ridiculous, that is all. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

40 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Cancelled  ?

Pacing

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  19,668
  • Days Won:  255

5 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

I can definitely see their point of view and as I have stated that I do strongly lean with that assessment, but there are some key differences:

• Nobody is rounding up young adults and forcing them to play college football
  • They are compensated in the form of an education and other benefits

I just don't like that the universities make millions off of the players without the players sharing in the money more, and the NCAA structure places significant limitations on a player's rights - no outright freedom to move, no ability to make an alternative income while playing, restrictions on what they can and cannot receive. Its an overly restrictive process where they don't get to share in the billions of dollars they are generating. Since there is a forfeiture of rights and no direct revenue sharing, I can understand the comparison. 

I would be more than happy to share in our “earnings” with our student athletes, hopefully they have their checkbooks ready

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,428
  • Content Count:  98,374
  • Days Won:  491

15 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

I can understand the comparison. 

To slavery?

Can we just find common ground and meet in the middle at indentured servitude?

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,428
  • Content Count:  98,374
  • Days Won:  491

3 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

Yes Brad. 

I appreciate your impervious rigidity.  

3 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

Yes Brad. 

So we can force people to play for us? This should be much easier than recruiting. And people can’t be free to leave at any time for any reason? Guess Corey better shut down the portal. We can buy, sell and trade players against their will? If they have kids in the program we get to keep the kids and they too will play football for us? Or is this not slavery in the literal sense and more in the Kanye slavery is a choice type of thing because there is absolutely no logical way anyone can seriously compare college athletics to slavery as not one person has ever been forced in to playing, people leave freely all of the time and players not only can quit they can transfer. At best you can make the indentured servant argument but a slavery argument is really watering down the horrors of actual slavery.

26 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

So does my wife ;)

Hopefully this puts an end to the discussion, you pretty much dropped the mic,  I got nothing.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

3 hours ago, Brad said:

Of course, this continues to be off topic, but it all leads to money and expansion, so...

I find it interesting that the "slavery" system created by the NCAA was put in motion more than 100 years ago, before minorities were even admitted to many colleges around the country.  I never had the curiosity about when scholarships began, and found this little website that informs:

So this criminal enterprise built the system to "enslave" minorities long before minorities were even accepted into many of our institutions of higher learning (and when they were, it was reluctantly in many cases).  From what I can see the first black student-athlete to receive a scholarship in most schools wasn't until late 60s with some schools delaying even further.  Seems like a strange way to enter the business of oppressing and indenturing a people in the name of the dollar.

Regardless, it has given me a finer appreciation of the opportunities collegiate athletics offers many student-athletes, especially those that are interested in education.

Details ......