Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,428
  • Content Count:  98,374
  • Days Won:  491

2 hours ago, brybull1970 said:

The NCAA argued that prisoners and student-athletes should be viewed as the same group when applying the 13th amendment carve out, essentially making them slaves but where the constitution allows for such an exception. The NCAA is asking the courts to expand the scope of what a slave is, to include student-athletes, and what rights they are not entitled to.

Dare to point that out in the document you attached?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

17 minutes ago, Brad said:

Neb, sorry about putting through this GIF-related anxiety.  I needed to add it for multiple devices.  I hesitantly say "you should have it now."  

bill murray duck GIF

No worries, we are all good and ready to roll. Thanks Brad! 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  586
  • Content Count:  23,166
  • Days Won:  109

Posts.jpg.b68209acead671058eac5400aa67070a.jpg

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  19,668
  • Days Won:  255

50 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Yes, it’s the only thing that matters to me. 

Canadian football matters to you?

27 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

At best its terrible optics for the NCAA to openly cite the one exception to 13th amendment - prisoners - as their argument for student-athletes not being paid.

I can't find any report - and I am sure they would abound - where that was their argument, as opposed to the court's decision against the plaintiff's argument, i.e.:

The Vanskike court rejected such a multi-factor test in determining whether a prisoner could be considered an employee under the FLSA. That court determined a holistic application of the “economic reality” test was more appropriate, because the Thirteenth Amendment excludes convicted criminals from the prohibition of involuntary servitude, and thus, a multi-factor test would not capture the true nature of the relationship in question.

Link

I think you're missing the point in the ruling of Vanskike.  Of course the Vanskike case was not about student-athletes, but about prisoners.  it was a case cited by the plaintiff.  Berger was not about scholarshipped athletes.  Still nothing anywhere regarding the NCAA openly citing the 13th amendment as their argument for not paying student athletes.  Berger court:

“Because NCAA-regulated sports are ‘extracurricular,’ ‘interscholastic athletic’ activities, we do not believe that the Department of Labor intended the FLSA to apply to student athletes,” Judge Michael Kanne said, writing for the three-judge panel. “We find the [Department of Labor’s Field Operations Handbook] interpretation of the student-athlete experience to be persuasive.”

Meanwhile Forbes does have an article on the topic.  In their story that laments in favor of student-athletes compensation, they didn't once mention the criminal organization as having cited the 13th amendment.  Would have been a lay up.

I'll leave the interpretation of court documents to the lawyers.  When one or more of them arrives, it will be interesting to hear their perspective. 

I actually went to page 4 and realized what I was reading.

So you base your beliefs solely on the basis of "the (losing) plaintiff's reply" to the case itself.  Seems you'd be missing some real facts.  

Maybe I am missing something...

2 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

No, I read the summary of the original suit, but thought the plaintiff's answer summarized it better than having anyone who wanted to dig through it and cobble it out of the original.

Well, of course.

Of course, this continues to be off topic, but it all leads to money and expansion, so...

I find it interesting that the "slavery" system created by the NCAA was put in motion more than 100 years ago, before minorities were even admitted to many colleges around the country.  I never had the curiosity about when scholarships began, and found this little website that informs:

College recruitment of student athletes started in the 1880s as college football started to transform from a fun leisure activity to a highly profitable and commercialized sport.  In the beginning, compensation for collegiate athletes usually meant assistance with employment, gifts, favors and usually free room and board at the home of a coach or a team supporter. 

By 1906 sport scholarships became more widespread and The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) was established under the name “Intercollegiate Athletic Association of the United States.

In 1952 the NCAA legalized the use of athletic scholarships for the purpose of attracting qualified student-athletes to their sports programs.

More

So this criminal enterprise built the system to "enslave" minorities long before minorities were even accepted into many of our institutions of higher learning (and when they were, it was reluctantly in many cases).  From what I can see the first black student-athlete to receive a scholarship in most schools wasn't until late 60s with some schools delaying even further.  Seems like a strange way to enter the business of oppressing and indenturing a people in the name of the dollar.

Regardless, it has given me a finer appreciation of the opportunities collegiate athletics offers many student-athletes, especially those that are interested in education.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, puc86 said:

Canadian football matters to you?

It’s my life...

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  19,668
  • Days Won:  255