Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

4 hours ago, charsibb said:

That was a soccer game. The first intercollegiate gridiron football game was Harvard v. McGill

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1874_Harvard_vs._McGill_football_game

Yes they both dispute the other. But the NCAA and most historians say it was Rutgers and Princeton...which I concur. 

• Topic Count:  493
  • Content Count:  12,678
  • Days Won:  25

16 hours ago, MMW said:

What kind of fool would come on a message board if he didn't already know everything there is to know?  

Guilty.

• 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  347
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  0

IQiyi stock gains after company says it's obtained broadcasting rights to the four golf majors

b1d18a20-e20d-11e5-99a3-0b72938c288d_MWLOGO.jpg
MarketWatchJune 18, 2018

Shares of Chinese streaming company iQiyi Inc. are up 4.4% in Monday morning trading, marking a continuation of the stock's impressive June rally, after the company said it has obtained the broadcasting rights to the four golf majors. IQiyi shares are now up 70% so far in June. The company said it has become "the largest source for professional golf live streaming and video information in China" after acquiring the rights to the U.S. Open tournament.

Just another sign that streaming companies are going after broadcasting rights of live major sporting events. 

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,674
  • Days Won:  4

As a side bar, this IQ stock has been crazy little earner this past month. The Netflix of China they call it. 

I know this, if the AAC does resign with ESPN for any of the tier of rights, we will be paying $5 a month to see some of the USF athletic events on ESPN+

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  370
  • Content Count:  6,587
  • Days Won:  37

27 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I know this, if the AAC does resign with ESPN for any of the tier of rights, we will be paying $5 a month to see some of the USF athletic events on ESPN+

It is unfortunately the only way they are going to be able to sustain paying for all the TV rights. Cable subscribers are down, ad revenues are down, and product expenses are increasing. So long as the AAC gets a fair deal from ESPN, I would actually be OK with paying $5 per month. If ESPN unfairly low-balls the AAC, I'm not sure I would be as willing to pay extra. As it is right now, I only pay $45 per month all in for Playstation Vue. I really can't conceive why anyone would pay extra for traditional cable at this point. 

Edited by BullyPulpit

26 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

It is unfortunately the only way they are going to be able to sustain paying for all the TV rights. Cable subscribers are down, ad revenues are down, and product expenses are increasing. So long as the AAC gets a fair deal from ESPN, I would actually be OK with paying $5 per month. If ESPN unfairly low-balls the AAC, I'm not sure I would be as willing to pay extra. As it is right now, I only pay $45 per month all in for Playstation Vue. I really can't conceive why anyone would pay extra for traditional cable at this point. 

I agree...I think we all need to be prepared. Even if we sign with NBC I would bet some of the games would be on NBCSportsGold...a pay package for $80 a year (right now they primarily show European Olympic sports). I laugh when I hear people say they are saving $ by cord cutting. If so, that means your watching crap as you still have to pay for ESPN or any other high quality programming (unless you are doing something illegally). What will happen is wireless will at some point cost exactly as cable but without the connection. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

4 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I agree...I think we all need to be prepared. Even if we sign with NBC I would bet some of the games would be on NBCSportsGold...a pay package for $80 a year (right now they primarily show European Olympic sports). I laugh when I hear people say they are saving $ by cord cutting. If so, that means your watching crap as you still have to pay for ESPN or any other high quality programming (unless you are doing something illegally). What will happen is wireless will at some point cost exactly as cable but without the connection. 

The problem I have with cable isn't the price for the product, it is all of the equipment they require you to rent from them to receive their product. 4 cable boxes are a minimum of $40 per month, more if you have a DVR. It is an antiquated platform and they know it. With CAT-6 out there, there isn't even a need for the cable boxes any longer. The cable providers should get with the program and offer internet and streaming only packages. Spectrum made a halfhearted attempt to do so in the Tampa Bay area, but the channel offerings were incomplete, especially for the average sports fan. 

9 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

The problem I have with cable isn't the price for the product, it is all of the equipment they require you to rent from them to receive their product. 4 cable boxes are a minimum of $40 per month, more if you have a DVR. It is an antiquated platform and they know it. With CAT-6 out there, there isn't even a need for the cable boxes any longer. The cable providers should get with the program and offer internet and streaming only packages. Spectrum made a halfhearted attempt to do so in the Tampa Bay area, but the channel offerings were incomplete, especially for the average sports fan. 

Good point. However, what is the internet cost per month? I know up here it’s about the same as a cable bill? 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Good point. However, what is the internet cost per month? I know up here it’s about the same as a cable bill? 

I'm paying $45 per month for the first year. After that, I can go to FiOs and get their introductory offer or just stick with Spectrum and pay $65 per month. While I can get internet, phone (who needs it?), and cable for $100 per month, that doesn't include taxes or the fees for the cable boxes, which are required to get On Demand programming. The DVR box is $20 per month and a regular box is $10 per month. 4 boxes and I am at $150 to $160 per month through Spectrum versus $90 to $110 per month with streaming service.