Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

25 minutes ago, Mama_Bull said:

Well, House Speaker, Paul Ryan is a graduate of Miami (Ohio). Perhaps, he would be willing to help his alma mater and the G5, by rallying members to look into this matter.

Somehow I think he has bigger issues to deal with than the Tuesday evening college football ranking show. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

44 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Somehow I think he has bigger issues to deal with than the Tuesday evening college football ranking show. 

I was not referring to the CFP ranking show in particular.

It should focus on the entire P5 and G5 situation and what can be done to make it more equitable to all NCAA D1 football schools.

My original response was to someone suggesting that the best course of action was through litigation. That might become necessary.

Senator Orrin Hatch is also a busy man, However, he still was able to find time to investigate college football and was instrumental in getting Utah into the P5:

Utah getting its shot in BCS spotlight

"For nearly a decade, coaches, media, fans and even Congress have railed against the Bowl Championship Series system, calling it a cartel that is stacked against schools from outside the six power conferences. No place did that criticism coalesce more than in Utah, where the Utes had two unbeaten seasons in five years but had little voice in the national championship debate. Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) spurred the Justice Department to investigate the BCS for antitrust violations.

Now, amid a shifting NCAA landscape, Utah is the one school that has gone from outsider to insider.

The move from the Mountain West Conference has elated the football program, excited the university and energized a city — the 33rd largest TV market in the United States, yet with a sports identity that is often conflicted. Is it a major-league town (the Jazz have long enjoyed a rabid following) or a minor-league one (it has been a long-time home to Triple-A baseball)?

All along the downtown streets here, lampposts are adorned with banners welcoming the Utes to the Pac-12. Applications at Utah have spiked 16 percent since the announcement last summer that the school would be joining the Pac-12 — something that could often be attributed to a slumping economy, except that other schools in the state have stayed flat. At the Salt Lake City Tribune, there has been a 200 percent jump in page views for Utah-related content from a year ago.

“We felt the BCS wasn’t exactly fair when we were on the outside,” said Dr. Lorris Betz, Utah’s interim president. “I’d have to be honest and say we still feel the same way about it. There were some pretty hard feelings in our state but I’m glad we’re in that crowd now. We’ve got a whole lot of excitement around our campus, not just about the football games and basketball games, but about our academic fit. We will recruit students and faculty in California and the West Coast, as well as athletes.”

Read more at:

https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/utah-utes-finally-getting-their-shot-in-bcs-conference-090711

There are many other articles about that and related matters.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=5T4eWqKYO8zPmwGt4K_QDw&q=orrin+hatch+college+football+investigation+Utah&oq=orrin+hatch+college+football+investigati

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

3 minutes ago, Mama_Bull said:

I was not referring to the CFP ranking show in particular.

It should focus on the entire P5 and G5 situation and what can be done to make it more equitable to all NCAA D1 football schools.

My original response was to someone suggesting that the best course of action was through litigation. That might become necessary.

Senator Orrin Hatch is also a busy man, However, he still was able to find time to investigate college football and was instrumental in getting Utah into the P5:

Utah getting its shot in BCS spotlight

"For nearly a decade, coaches, media, fans and even Congress have railed against the Bowl Championship Series system, calling it a cartel that is stacked against schools from outside the six power conferences. No place did that criticism coalesce more than in Utah, where the Utes had two unbeaten seasons in five years but had little voice in the national championship debate. Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) spurred the Justice Department to investigate the BCS for antitrust violations.

Now, amid a shifting NCAA landscape, Utah is the one school that has gone from outsider to insider.

The move from the Mountain West Conference has elated the football program, excited the university and energized a city — the 33rd largest TV market in the United States, yet with a sports identity that is often conflicted. Is it a major-league town (the Jazz have long enjoyed a rabid following) or a minor-league one (it has been a long-time home to Triple-A baseball)?

All along the downtown streets here, lampposts are adorned with banners welcoming the Utes to the Pac-12. Applications at Utah have spiked 16 percent since the announcement last summer that the school would be joining the Pac-12 — something that could often be attributed to a slumping economy, except that other schools in the state have stayed flat. At the Salt Lake City Tribune, there has been a 200 percent jump in page views for Utah-related content from a year ago.

“We felt the BCS wasn’t exactly fair when we were on the outside,” said Dr. Lorris Betz, Utah’s interim president. “I’d have to be honest and say we still feel the same way about it. There were some pretty hard feelings in our state but I’m glad we’re in that crowd now. We’ve got a whole lot of excitement around our campus, not just about the football games and basketball games, but about our academic fit. We will recruit students and faculty in California and the West Coast, as well as athletes.”

Read more at:

https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/utah-utes-finally-getting-their-shot-in-bcs-conference-090711

There are many other articles about that and related matters.

https://www.google.com/search?ei=5T4eWqKYO8zPmwGt4K_QDw&q=orrin+hatch+college+football+investigation+Utah&oq=orrin+hatch+college+football+investigati

Yeah I saw the Hatch response some time ago and it died down. I really don’t think they will get involved here. It will have to be litigated by the G5. But as I have said before the problem with that is if you sue the P5, those G5 teams named in the lawsuit will have just blackballed themselves out of a P5 opportunity in the future. Further, if the G5 pushes too hard the P5 will simply break away from the NCAA and form their own division of college football. 

12 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Yeah I saw the Hatch response some time ago and it died down. I really don’t think they will get involved here. It will have to be litigated by the G5. But as I have said before the problem with that is if you sue the P5, those G5 teams named in the lawsuit will have just blackballed themselves out of a P5 opportunity in the future. Further, if the G5 pushes too hard the P5 will simply break away from the NCAA and form their own division of college football. 

Well the system we have now to replace the BCS is just as bad, if not worse.

Some P5 conferences are prohibiting their members from playing G5 teams, with few exceptions, in order to assure that no G5 team ever makes it into the playoffs.

So, I think the justice department should once again look into the current college football system for possible anti trust violations and congress should hold hearings if warranted.

At this point, It is worth another try.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  469
  • Content Count:  4,451
  • Days Won:  0

Its time for a playoff expansion to 12 teams.  Top 4 get a bye.  

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

14 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

State AG’s in non-P5 states will need to lead the charge through litigation. I doubt senators from non-P5 states will want to take it up with legislation.

So, we're only looking at:  Connecticut, New Mexico, Nevada, Hawaii, Idaho, and Wyoming,

It would be better if we could get Florida, Texas, and California to do it.  Obviously, they won't though

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,826
  • Days Won:  0

3 hours ago, BullDoug said:

Its time for a playoff expansion to 12 teams.  Top 4 get a bye.  

I think 12 really waters it down but six is a viable number with the top 2 getting a first round bye. But then you also have teams in P5 conferences that would complain that the American was easier to get to the playoffs.

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

I could easily see the NCAA/ESPN expanding to 8 teams and STILL not giving the G5 an auto bid.  Especially in a year like this one.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

1 minute ago, beastiebull said:

I could easily see the NCAA/ESPN expanding to 8 teams and STILL not giving the G5 an auto bid.  Especially in a year like this one.

That's the most likely to happen