Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

3 hours ago, Apis Bull said:

The Big 12 will expand when the TV overlords tell them to and not one minute before then.

3 hours ago, Mama_Bull said:

I agree.

I think the USF - UCF game drew about 5 million viewers on ABC. I can't find the exact numbers at this time. But, based on the audience share reported, it would seem to be in that ball park.

That should open up the eyes of the "TV overlords" and make it more likely that both our teams will be worth adding, whenever that happens.

Looks like the USF -UCF game drew nearly 6 million (5.945 mil) viewers:

"The 2017 War on I-4 game between UCF and USF picked up a 3.2 national rating on ABC, making it the highest-rated UCF football game on TV since the South Carolina game in 2013, according to ESPN P.R.

The rating for the game was up 45% from last year in the 3:30 p.m. Black Friday timeslot over last year’s game in the same window, which was Nebraska vs. Iowa. That game had 4.1 million viewers. Friday’s game scored 45% more eyeballs.

It’s the third-highest Black Friday 3:30 p.m. game for ABC since 2002."

http://www.blackandgoldbanneret.com/fridays-war-4-highest-rated-ucf-game-since-south-carolina-2013/

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

I can see a situation in the near future where the P5 will start charging expansion fees to schools they invite like the professional sports do for new expansion teams.

19 minutes ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

I can see a situation in the near future where the P5 will start charging expansion fees to schools they invite like the professional sports do for new expansion teams.

I think that is what they effectively do now, by just giving the expansion team a percentage of what the other teams receive annually, with the percentage increasing over a number of years until they share equally. 

Edited by Mama_Bull
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Mama_Bull said:

I think that is what they effectively do now, by just giving the expansion team a percentage of what the other teams receive annually, with the percentage increasing over a number of years until they share equally. 

I'd forgotten about that, that's probably the best way for them to do it legally. Also keeps the haves having and the have nots struggling. I can imagine the deal getting more punitive as the years go by for any new additions.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,769
  • Days Won:  14

America is a litigious country. Time and time again, litigation and threats of litigation have proven to be the most effective way of bringing about change.

Marketing efforts are only part of the strategy. At some point, the AAC schools need to get creative and sue over these "P5" and "G5" distinctions. Not sure about the legal theory, but I'm sure we can come up with some kind of colorable claim.

11 minutes ago, TallyBull said:

America is a litigious country. Time and time again, litigation and threats of litigation have proven to be the most effective way of bringing about change.

Marketing efforts are only part of the strategy. At some point, the AAC schools need to get creative and sue over these "P5" and "G5" distinctions. Not sure about the legal theory, but I'm sure we can come up with some kind of colorable claim.

As I mentioned in another related thread, there needs to be a congressional investigation where politicians representing G5 districts from both political parties can try to clean up this entire mess and make it more equitable. Considering that most of the schools are public makes it easier for them to look into this.

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  1,828
  • Days Won:  12

2 minutes ago, Mama_Bull said:

As I mentioned in another related thread, there needs to be a congressional investigation where politicians representing G5 districts from both political parties can try to clean up this entire mess and make it more equitable. Considering that most of the schools are public makes it easier for them to look into this.

Will be difficult when probably most politicians went to P5 schools.  

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,769
  • Days Won:  14

4 minutes ago, Mama_Bull said:

Ideally, you're right, there'd be a political solution. Problem is there aren't enough politicians with connections to the affected schools. Politicially, no one seems to care, and there are only a limited number of ways you can make them care.

11 minutes ago, TallyBull said:

Ideally, you're right, there'd be a political solution. Problem is there aren't enough politicians with connections to the affected schools. Politicially, no one seems to care, and there are only a limited number of ways you can make them care.

Big campaign donations are the only ways to make them care.

56 minutes ago, TallyBull said:

Well, House Speaker, Paul Ryan is a graduate of Miami (Ohio). Perhaps, he would be willing to help his alma mater and the G5, by rallying members to look into this matter.