Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

16 minutes ago, USFFan said:

Pretty disappointed to see how many of our fans want us to be whores, which is what you are when you take payday games. I'm with MamaBull, 2 for 1's is far preferable.

USFFan

Obviously, a 1 for 1 is best, but a 2 for 1 is acceptable. 

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  585
  • Days Won:  0

2 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

I'll go ahead and give this a similar response to my last one:  :lol:

This will never happen.  Not only would the P5 schools ranked far down the ladder (who greatly outnumber the select few that are at the top year in and year out) have a violation fit if this were to be considered, but then you have a whole 'nother can of worms in having to basically change the whole current ranking system.  The AP, coaches poll AND the CFP committee couldn't be the ones determining who was going to be ranked if where each team was placed determined their revenue.  

We'd have to go back to a computer system and I think most would agree that it would be a huge step backward in terms of progress in getting this whole system working as good as it could.

I would expect the Kansas' and Oregon State's of the current P5 to have a conniption. But if, let's say, Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Fl*rida, Georgia, Clemson, FSU, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, WIsconsin, Texas, Oklahoma, USC, UCLA, Stanford and Washington announced that they were leaving the NCAA to form their own league that would compete as two 9 team leagues that would have a playoff and crown a champion and would share the revenue from those broadcasts unless the "far down the ladder" schools agreed to a graded revenue plan, you better believe that the Baylors and the Mississippi States would come around (after screaming bloody murder about it).

USFFan

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

1 hour ago, Apis Bull said:

I guess I wasn't clear.  I believe that one of the P5 conferences mandated that it's members must play OOC games against other P5 conferences, they then declared that ND and BYU counted as P5 games.

You are correct. Believe it was the B10

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  22,697
  • Days Won:  52

32 minutes ago, charsibb said:

Can we be declared as a P5 too if we go independent?  What is the declaration criteria and process?

Oh and RETURN OF THE MACK (OH MY GOD) the thread is back.

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

37 minutes ago, charsibb said:

Didn't they later add Navy counted as a P5 team?

I seem to remember some other team was later added.

On the flip side, it's at least nice to know this:

“The Big Ten has designated the American as a good intersectional opponent. Big Ten athletic directors respect our teams and (commissioner) Jim Delaney said his schools want to play us. That’s a real big deal,” Aresco said.

So, I assume AAC teams are looking for more series with Big 10 schools.

The problem has been that they often end up buying out the return game in Tampa. We beed to play the first game at home, or make the buyout so much that it isn't worthwhile for them to cancel. Also, it needs to be structured so that that there is a higher buyout the closer it gets to the scheduled date.

IMO, Michigan, Ohio State and PSU would be worthwhile 2-1 games. 

The rest should be equal home and home games.

Our best chance to get a home and home series is with those schools placing more of an emphasis on recruiting Florida.  

Michigan 
Penn State    
Ohio State    
Indiana    
Maryland    
Michigan State  
Rutgers

Minnesota    
Wisconsin    
Iowa     
Illinois    
Northwestern     
Nebraska     
Purdue     

Edited by Mama_Bull

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,256
  • Days Won:  6

53 minutes ago, USFFan said:

Essentially, they're pushing to make a TV revenue distribution plan based on where you place in the league. So Bama, Clemson and Ohio State will start making way more TV revenue than Vandy, BC and Rutgers. That would likely rankle some feathers and spark a new round of realignment BINGO.

USFFan

38 minutes ago, USFFan said:

I would expect the Kansas' and Oregon State's of the current P5 to have a conniption. But if, let's say, Alabama, Auburn, LSU, Fl*rida, Georgia, Clemson, FSU, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan, WIsconsin, Texas, Oklahoma, USC, UCLA, Stanford and Washington announced that they were leaving the NCAA to form their own league that would compete as two 9 team leagues that would have a playoff and crown a champion and would share the revenue from those broadcasts unless the "far down the ladder" schools agreed to a graded revenue plan, you better believe that the Baylors and the Mississippi States would come around (after screaming bloody murder about it).

USFFan

I would think this would be hysterical.  The crappy P5 teams would get no sympathy from me.  

This is the natural progression from where we are now and none of the bottom feeders should feel safe (or smug).

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

I found this old article. There probably has been changes, since we have scheduled some.

Independents BYU, Army, Notre Dame can fulfill Power 5 quota for Big Ten

Sep 22, 2015
  •  
    Brett McMurphyCollege football reporter

FacebookTwitteFacebook MessengePinterest

Games against BYUArmyNavy and Notre Dame will now count toward the Big Ten's requirement of playing one nonconference Power 5 team per season, a source told ESPN on Tuesday.

Beginning in 2016, the Big Ten -- like the SEC and ACC -- will require its league members to play at least one nonconference Power 5 team.

American Athletic Conference, to count as a Power 5 opponent, Big Ten senior associate commissioner Mark Rudner said. A source said Navy, in its first year in AAC, will also count. However, not all members of the AAC will count toward the Power 5 nonconference requirement, a source told ESPN.

Big Ten schools may ask for exemptions for programs not in a Power 5 league to count toward the conference's Power 5 requirement, Rudner said.

Cincinnati is on the future schedules of Indiana (2021-22), Michigan (2017), Nebraska (2020 and 2025) and Ohio State (2019), while UConn has games scheduled with Illinois (2019-20) and Indiana (2019-20).

The Indianapolis Star earlier reported that Cincinnati and UConn would count as Power 5 opponents for Big Ten schools.

Rudner added the league would evaluate any other non-Power 5 schools -- programs in the AAC, Conference USA, Mid-American, Mountain West and Sun Belt leagues -- brought up by a Big Ten school and decide whether they would count as Power 5 opponents based on their RPI rankings in recent years and other factors.

The Big Ten joins the SEC and ACC as the only Power 5 leagues that require their league members to play at least one nonconference Power 5 opponent. The ACC requirement starts in 2016; the SEC in 2017.

The Pac-12 and Big 12 have no such requirement concerning its nonconference schedules.

Like the Big Ten, the SEC also counts games vs. Army, BYU and Notre Dame toward the Power 5 requirement. However, the ACC counts only games vs. BYU and Notre Dame, a source said.

The SEC and ACC count only games against the FBS independents and do not count games from any Group of 5 conferences toward their Power 5 requirements.

Starting in 2016, the Big Ten will not allow any league members to play FCS opponents once any future games that were already under contract have been played. The Big Ten is the only FBS league that will not allow its league members to play FCS opponents.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/13716412/big-ten-approves-byu-army-navy-notre-dame-cincinnati-uconn-nonconference-quota

Edited by Mama_Bull

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

The fact that Army counts as a P5 opponent is laughable

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

2 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

I don't know if the league looks at the quality of the opponent vs. answering a request from a team to allow them to count the game as a P5. It just seems like semantics to me. 

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,828
  • Days Won:  6

1 hour ago, Apis Bull said:

The fact that all teams that were once BCS schools except USF are ok in the B1G’s eyes is tragic however. 

Edited by 206BULL