Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  370
  • Content Count:  6,587
  • Days Won:  37

2 hours ago, Sellular1 said:

The NHL left ESPN and went to Comcast/OLN/Versus each team got $1million more per season.  The bad news was half the country didn't get Versus channel.  A short sighted Gary Bettman almost killed the NHL.  If you remember, ESPN and ESPN2 had NHL games on every night during the season.  Then suddenly had zero presence in half the country.  Then the NHL signed a slightly better deal with NBC Universal for 10 years.  So ESPN wants to fill the massive programming void by losing the NHL (and their pissed at eachother) so ESPN goes down the path of "creating" programming.  Every stupid kind of Texas Holdem tournaments to giving half hour slots to idiots like Steven A Smith...

The NHL is a great product and in the 30 or so cities that have a team most are financially stable.  I just think the NHL lost the casual fan who tuned into ESPN to catch a game.

I hope the AAC doesn't do something shortsighted that will piss off ESPN.  It will be like when the 3 Amigos get fired by Harry Flugelman

It also doesn't help that ESPN, while not having the TV rights to the NHL, provides the sport with virtually no coverage on its station. It is vindictive and shortsighted of ESPN to do so. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,942
  • Days Won:  436

1 hour ago, BullyPulpit said:

It also doesn't help that ESPN, while not having the TV rights to the NHL, provides the sport with virtually no coverage on its station. It is vindictive and shortsighted of ESPN to do so. 

There is that silver, jelled, mulleted lining, though ...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610
  • Days Won:  3

Who remembers when he coached the Lightning? 

8 minutes ago, Ionbull said:

Who remembers when he coached the Lightning? 

My memory banks have been wiped clean in regards to that ...

• Topic Count:  150
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

8 minutes ago, Triple B said:

At your age, doesn't that just take care of itself?

16 minutes ago, Triple B said:

5 minutes ago, JTrue said:

At your age, doesn't that just take care of itself?

You'd think ...... but a few things like the Melrose years weeks and September 1, 2013 lingered and had to be forcefully cleansed.

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

10 hours ago, Sellular1 said:

The NHL left ESPN and went to Comcast/OLN/Versus each team got $1million more per season.  The bad news was half the country didn't get Versus channel.  A short sighted Gary Bettman almost killed the NHL.  If you remember, ESPN and ESPN2 had NHL games on every night during the season.  Then suddenly had zero presence in half the country.  Then the NHL signed a slightly better deal with NBC Universal for 10 years.  So ESPN wants to fill the massive programming void by losing the NHL (and their pissed at eachother) so ESPN goes down the path of "creating" programming.  Every stupid kind of Texas Holdem tournaments to giving half hour slots to idiots like Steven A Smith...

The NHL is a great product and in the 30 or so cities that have a team most are financially stable.  I just think the NHL lost the casual fan who tuned into ESPN to catch a game.

I hope the AAC doesn't do something shortsighted that will piss off ESPN.  It will be like when the 3 Amigos get fired by Harry Flugelman

No question ESPN is the biggest boy in the room and probably will be for the foreseeable future.  However, the Comcasts of the world are losing millions of subscribers each quarter to "non-traditional" media outlets (cord cutting).  Screw exclusivity and negotiate a deal with a traditional media outlet & Google or Apple.  ESPN cares much less about the non P5 conferences.  

• Topic Count:  49
  • Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  0

11 hours ago, Sellular1 said:

Ugh and the terrible NBA contract. That sport is hot garbage. Even the ESPN "analysts" are saying how bad these playoffs have been.

NHL on the other hand has been great. I think they are in a great position for the coming implosion of tv contracts.

Edited by USFBULL_08

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, USFBULL_08 said:

Ugh and the terrible NBA contract. That sport is hot garbage. Even the ESPN "analysts" are saying how bad these playoffs have been.

NHL on the other hand has been great. I think they are in a great position for the coming implosion of tv contracts.

For the life of me I just can't see how people like NBA basketball. I can literally watch the last three minutes and that is about it. Can't believe that espn overpaid for it. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

3 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

For the life of me I just can't see how people like NBA basketball. I can literally watch the last three minutes and that is about it. Can't believe that espn overpaid for it. 

GMTA, LOL

Years ago I said we should just give each team 100 points and play the last five minutes.

Edited by charsibb