Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

5 minutes ago, bulls phanatic said:

http://thebiglead.com/2016/10/18/big-12-expansion-failure-could-reignite-texas-and-oklahoma-to-pac-12/

The Rump Big 12 Raids the AAC

Baylor, TCU, West Virginia, Iowa State, Kansas, and Kansas State are left. No combination of those two teams makes it worth it for the SEC or Big Ten to expand to 16. They are stuck. The only rational move may be to form a new conference. Schools that were desperate to join the Big 12 are still interested.

Here is what a plausible division alignment could look like.

West: Baylor, TCU, Houston, SMU, BYU, Kansas, Kansas State, Colorado State

East: West Virginia, USF, UCF, East Carolina, Cincinnati, UConn, Memphis, Iowa State

It’s not clear what the TV market for the “Big 16” would be. Some of the revenue loss could be resolved with an 8-team playoff and that conference receiving one of five automatic bids.

It would be the other way 'round - the AAC would invite the RumpB12

When TX/OK leave, the B12 contract and P5 money go with them. ESPN will not pay M5 money to KU/KS/IS/TT/OKSU/BU, so the B12 will simply be declared DOA by ESPN - Contract Null And Void

Of the RumpB12, personally I would only want TCU (fits the AAC profile of modern, big-city schools) and WVU (historically one of our best rivalries)

The rest of 'em can stay in their little porkpie towns and suck it.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  2,401
  • Content Count:  21,566
  • Days Won:  10

Death to Big 12

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,828
  • Days Won:  6

10 hours ago, The Great 8 said:

Netflix will be bought by Disney before the Big XII GOR ends. Book it. 

Remember who owns ESPN...

Better shot at being bought out by Comcast who just launched a set top box app for Netflix yesterday, bought Dream Works to compete with the Mouse in April, owns NBC Universal and a very good portion of Hulu.

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  3,814
  • Days Won:  3

14 minutes ago, 206BULL said:

Better shot at being bought out by Comcast who just launched a set top box app for Netflix yesterday, bought Dream Works to compete with the Mouse in April, owns NBC Universal and a very good portion of Hulu.

Yeah, exactly, why would they cannibalize their own venture (Hulu).

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,558
  • Days Won:  19

25 minutes ago, 206BULL said:

Netflix is not going to be bought out by Comcast or Disney. Not happening anytime in the near future.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, The Great 8 said:

Yeah, exactly, why would they cannibalize their own venture (Hulu).

It all depends on how our current partnership goes with allowing Comcast TV subscribers to access their Netflix if they have an X1 TV box. In  a sense we would already be "cannibalizing" Hulu by putting Netflix on these boxes but not Hulu. At the end of the day Hulu is viewed as a DVR service for those that do not have cable, Netflix is another beast entirely.

Edited by 206BULL

1 minute ago, Bear said:

Netflix is not going to be bought out by Comcast or Disney. Not happening anytime in the near future.

I can so second this sentiment. My post was along the lines of if someone were to buy Netflix Comcast would be much more likely than Disney due to the shift in relationships over the past 3 months culminating in a Netflix app existing on TV boxes currently for Comcast subscribers. 

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  3,814

5 minutes ago, 206BULL said:

It all depends on how our current partnership goes with allowing Comcast TV subscribers to access their Netflix if they have an X1 TV box. I'm a sense we would already be "cannibalizing" Hulu by putting Netflix on these boxes but not Hulu. At the end of the day Hulu is viewed as a DVR service for those that do not have cable, Netflix is another beast entirely.

Hulu is getting very much into original programming and is starting it's own Sling competitor. It has more financial backing than Netflix does. I'm in the space and am well aware of what all of these companies are doing. Netflix is positioning itself to be bought, Hulu never will be as they have a completely different business model and goal. Of course, that means we could sell our media rights to Hulu potentially :).

Edited by The Great 8

7 minutes ago, The Great 8 said:

Hulu is getting very much into original programming and is starting it's own Sling competitor. It has more financial backing than Netflix does. I'm in the space and am well aware of what all of these companies are doing. Netflix is positioning itself to be bought, Hulu never will be. Of course, that means we could sell our media rights to Hulu potentially :).

Very true on the last point. I will admit Comcast keeps all divisions separate and so I am not much in the loop on Hulu aside from updates on certain employee sites. I deal with Comcasts core services of TV, Internet, Phone and Home Security. I'm just pointing out that there are already relationships there that could give Comcast an edge over Disney if Netflix hits the open market(which is not happening for the next 5 years minimum IMO). 

Aside from that I can not post what leads me to that thought aside from what can be attained by the public. NDAs are a *****..

However expect a Comcast wireless service before any of what either of us are talking about come to fruition .

Edited by 206BULL

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,610

The American needs to finish strong and poise itself in the next round of TV negotiations. Aresco, being a TV guy, needs to seriously consider if adding two more programs will increase the appeal of the American. It's interesting to see the fate and future of this conference could potentially be in our hands. Would pay off dividends of four AAC teams can finish ranked. CWT is right, he's focused on football, but the thought of Aresco putting it  a campaign now that the big 12 has settled is great. I love to hear that the commissioner has a plan and is ready to execute it. 

Go Bulls!