Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,558
  • Days Won:  19

I would be happy if the Big 12 takes no one (under the condition that they were not taking USF)

We have the prime opportunity to be the POWERHOUSE of the AAC.

With the exception of Men's Basketball; we are almost there. We just need to sustain this for year after year.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,828
  • Days Won:  6

2 hours ago, HR Bull said:

Ummm no sorry. I don't think we want any school with Iowa in the name in the conference. I'm sure their fans would love to travel to Tampa, but what Cedar Rapids offer our fans? Tornadoes and ice storms? 

Cedar Rapids was a reasonably decent movie.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

The issue is, if the Big12, disintegrates, do the left over teams invite AAC/MWC teams to fill the Big12 or do AAC/MWC invite the Big 12 leftovers. Interestingly, the Big12 name has more cache so we could see AAC teams still going to the Big 12. 

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Just now, NewEnglandBull said:

The issue is, if the Big12, disintegrates, do the left over teams invite AAC/MWC teams to fill the Big12 or do AAC/MWC invite the Big 12 leftovers. Interestingly, the Big12 name has more cache so we could see AAC teams still going to the Big 12. 

Depending on how many teams leave the conference may be dissolved (so no one owes exit fees) and there may not be a B12 to go to.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,769
  • Days Won:  14

1 hour ago, Bear said:

I would be happy if the Big 12 takes no one (under the condition that they were not taking USF)

We have the prime opportunity to be the POWERHOUSE of the AAC.

With the exception of Men's Basketball; we are almost there. We just need to sustain this for year after year.

Setting $$$ aside for a moment (hard to do, I know), winning 10+ games and competing for conference championships in most years in the AAC is far better than struggling to get bowl eligible every year in a "Money 5" conference. And in a way, if we're consistently good enough, we could even be in playoff discussions some years (like Houston was this year).

EDIT: Cue "tallest midget" comment in 3, 2, 1...

Edited by TallyBull

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,558
  • Days Won:  19

1 minute ago, TallyBull said:

Setting $$$ aside for a moment (hard to do, I know), winning 10+ games and competing for conference championships in most years in the AAC is far better than struggling to get bowl eligible every year in a "Money 5" conference. And in a way, if we're consistently good enough, we could even be in playoff discussions some years (like Houston was this year).

Not really... even excluding money...

We could have more of Tampa's attention playing "Money 5" schools every season...

Over Tulsa, SMU, and ECU

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Bear said:

Not really... even excluding money...

We could have more of Tampa's attention playing "Money 5" schools every season...

Over Tulsa, SMU, and ECU

OK, assume for a moment we're in the Big XII (our only possibility). You think we'll draw significantly more people to Kansas, Iowa State, and TCU than UCONN, Cincinnati, and Navy?

True, games against Texas and Oklahoma would probably draw more, but we can sign those kind of "big games" like we do now, e.g. against FSU this year (although I recognize that could change if the conference gap continues to widen), so at least in some ways that's a wash.

I don't expect we'll EVER be able to consistently draw more than 35-40K "announced" to our games in Tampa, regardless of conference or competition, at least not for another 20-30 years.

Assuming that to be the case, and taking $$$ out of the equation (again, that's obviously important too), I'd rather have a consistently winning team vs. Temple and Houston than a consistently losing team against Texas and Kansas.

:2cents:

Edited by TallyBull

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,085
  • Days Won:  11

2 hours ago, namuh-bull said:

Consider what those schools are facing.  Going from 20-30 million a year for their athletics programs, down to possibly 2 or 4 million.  Some may even end up in CUSA.  They would be begging admission from schools they thought weren't good enough for them a couple years earlier.  It is going to be hard, but they probably all assume that they would be welcomed with open arms by some other P5 conference.  I think that they will find out otherwise.

Go Bulls!

we may want to wait until they make their presentations before we come to a conclusion  :D 

Edited by 2000bull
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,652
  • Days Won:  51

25 minutes ago, TallyBull said:

OK, assume for a moment we're in the Big XII (our only possibility). You think we'll draw significantly more people to Kansas, Iowa State, and TCU than UCONN, Cincinnati, and Navy?

True, games against Texas and Oklahoma would probably draw more, but we can sign those kind of "big games" like we do now, e.g. against FSU this year (although I recognize that could change if the conference gap continues to widen), so at least in some ways that's a wash.

I don't expect we'll EVER be able to consistently draw more than 35-40K "announced" to our games in Tampa, regardless of conference or competition, at least not for another 20-30 years.

Assuming that to be the case, and taking $$$ out of the equation (again, that's obviously important too), I'd rather have a consistently winning team vs. Temple and Houston than a consistently losing team against Texas and Kansas.

:2cents:

Have to disagree here.  If you are in a P5 league you start every season with a legit shot at making the playoffs.  Win your conf championship and you essentially get to the playoffs (4 of 5 conf's).  

If your in the G5, it will never happen.  Those days we were in the Big East and drawing huge crowds was because of the upside.  Won't ever have that in the G5.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, Sellular1 said:

Have to disagree here.  If you are in a P5 league you start every season with a legit shot at making the playoffs.  Win your conf championship and you essentially get to the playoffs (4 of 5 conf's).  

If your in the G5, it will never happen.  Those days we were in the Big East and drawing huge crowds was because of the upside.  Won't ever have that in the G5.

The underlined statement is where you and I part ways, because it's snake oil. Only SOME, but definitely not all, "Money 5" teams have a "legit shot at making the playoffs" at the start of every season.

We know who THEY are - OSU, UF, UT, UO, FSU, etc. - because they almost always start the year ranked, or get ranked as soon as they beat FAMU, FAU, and Appalachian State (see, e.g., UM).

Even if we were magically included in the Big XII, it would be like it was in the "Big Easy" - we would hear arguments in the media and among our peers about how USF's competition in the Big XII is weak and for that reason pretty much any other blue-blood "Money 5" team deserves to get in over us (assuming similar records).

We are what we are - a Cinderella school, not a blue-blood school. We had the misfortune of being born in the 1950s, not the 1850s. It would take a decade of winning championships (or coming close) to change that perception. I can't see that happening for us in the Big XII, at least not anytime in the next 20 years, but I could see it in the AAC.

Once (when) we OWN this conference for many years, maybe THEN we can argue that we belong with the the big boys. Until then (again, backing out the $$$ for purposes of this discussion) I'd prefer to watch USF dominate the AAC and build our fanbase.

• Upvote 1