Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,942
  • Days Won:  436

8 minutes ago, jvwvu said:

Sounds like Houston, Memphis, Cincinnati and BYU to the Big XII.

Impossible ... We were just given a FACT that UCF is going in because of conference championships and a BCS bowl win.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,869
  • Days Won:  25

13 minutes ago, BullsFanInTX said:

No, of course not.  I am just preparing y'all to be in the Sun Belt.  Accept it.  Support it.  Maybe even come to like it in time.  But USF will never play big time football again, if left behind.  USF will become South Alabama, or Troy, or Louisiana Tech to the college football world.  That doesn't mean we can't have fun supporting USF, and maybe even have good teams in our new Sun Belt level conference, but the last ship is setting sail soon, and as of right now, USF doesn't have a ride.  That is all. 

Not buying it. It may take a while but they will expand and reshuffle again. Capitalism demands that you make more money and staying stagnant won't bring in the big bucks.

Edited by HR Bull

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,942
  • Days Won:  436

1 hour ago, Triple B said:

I guess I'm confused as to how this works. I thought it was if the B12 adds the teams, the contract goes up by whatever amount, no other factors involved. The problem would come when time to sign new contract and the networks lost money on the old one ...... that's not correct?

55 minutes ago, usfgrad84 said:

I am not sure either, but the money to pay for the contract has to come from somewhere.  That's the point I am making.  If that contract goes up, how is the network funding the additional cost f the contract?  Doesn't expanding into new markets increase the viewership allowing them to charge more for commercials, etc?  The networks that pay the increased contract amounts can't just print money.  Somewhere, somehow, there needs to be an increased revenue stream to pay for the higher amount.

Anyone have a better understanding about how this works?

Assuming it's like most contracts and unless there are clauses built in for tv ratings affecting the payout, the networks pay out the money indicated to the B12 with no strings attached.

Edited by Triple B
Brain fart

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

2 minutes ago, HR Bull said:

Not buying it. It may take a while but they will expand and reshuffle again. Capitalism demands that you make more many and staying stagnant won't bring in the big bucks.

I hope you are correct.  I just see no evidence that any power conference is considering expanding past 14.  Now that part of the equation is my opinion, instead of fact.  And if there is no expansion past 14, then USF will be playing in the minor leagues forever. 

• Topic Count:  2,401
  • Content Count:  21,565
  • Days Won:  10

20 minutes ago, BullsFanInTX said:

I hope you are correct.  I just see no evidence that any power conference is considering expanding past 14.  Now that part of the equation is my opinion, instead of fact.  And if there is no expansion past 14, then USF will be playing in the minor leagues forever. 

Based on what?  Do you have inside connection to the voting process or people?   

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

38 minutes ago, Sellular1 said:

I don't understand how you don't see those things as facts, if we get left behind.  Do you not think the conf will be like the Sun Belt?  Do you not think fan support will shrink? Do you not think the gap between P5 and G5 will continue to expand?  Do you not think it will become much harder to keep up if we are left behind?  

Come on man, I know you're better than this.  He's saying it's a FACT that we WILL be left behind.  IF we get left behind, all those things are true, yes.  Maybe it's a done deal and we're getting left out.  None of those "facts" BFIT posted definitively say that USF is getting excluded here.  

You yourself are saying "if," when BFIT didn't say anything like that.  He said it's a fact we're being left behind.  

I'm extremely disappointed I had to type all this up.  

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

23 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Assuming it's like most contracts and unless there are clauses built in for tv ratings affecting the payout, the B12 pays out the money indicated with no strings attached.

Where is the money coming from?  Do you really think a conference is going to add $400 to $800 million in payouts without being able to have the revenue to cover?  The only reason a conference will be expanding is for increased revenue  for each school.  They wouldn't be talking about expanding if it is going to be costing each school more money to do so.  

• Topic Count:  2,401
  • Content Count:  21,565
  • Days Won:  10

Revenue comes from TV Market share plus alumni or am I missing something?

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,826
  • Days Won:  0

2 minutes ago, Rizman said:

Revenue comes from TV Market share plus alumni or am I missing something?

From what I have read there is mandatory pro rata whether its 2 ($400 mil) or 4 new teams ($800 mil) for this contract. Location does not matter until the next negotiation.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,826
  • Days Won:  0

53 minutes ago, jvwvu said:

Sounds like Houston, Memphis, Cincinnati and BYU to the Big XII.

Source?