Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,979
  • Days Won:  436

2 hours ago, The Sheriff said:

I can't stress how important the month of September will be for our football program. If we slay FSU at home, the world of college football will be watching if the Big 12 hasn't finalized their decision.

Meh ... the die is already cast as far as on the field and in the stands is concerned. It's up to the Big12 to do their due diligence in researching all the programs and USF to make sure they have all they need in that research. We've filled up RayJay, we've beaten "P5" teams, at their place, when it really mattered. The upside is there to be seen, just as it is with UCF. The only negative I see right now is in the booster department, which  is nothing new, and if that's going to play a heavy role in the decision, we may be screwed.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  501
  • Days Won:  1

We should offer to take 10MM per year for the duration of the current contract with the stipulation that as soon as we win the conference, we start earning full share. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,085
  • Days Won:  11

Brett McMurphy@McMurphyESPN 16h16 hours ago

Lock of year: Bob Bowlsby will get a boatload of chocolates, flowers & gift bags tomorrow, but only one will be delivered by FedEx

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  150
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

On May 21, 2016 at 4:51 PM, TigerJay said:

cool just give me the info...I will follow through

On May 21, 2016 at 6:26 PM, TigerJay said:

No sir not giving my money before it is done this summer. I feel it will be done before the end of July. So I will go with July 15. One of us is going to owe the other money. Pretty confident with my choice.

Jaaaaaaaay... Is something wrong with your PayPal account?

43 minutes ago, NAM37 said:

USA Today School Breakdown:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/columnist/dan-wolken/2016/07/19/big-12-media-days-conference-expansion-bob-bowlsby/87317184/

Boise State: If this were a merit-based discussion on winning football over the last decade, the Broncos would win in a landslide. But Boise isn’t an attractive market, it’s geographically remote for most of the Big 12 and the academic reputation of the school doesn’t hep.

BYU: Has a strong brand, the best football history of any available school and national following. But BYU would create another geographic island unless it’s paired with another school in the West. Not playing on Sunday is an issue in lots of sports besides football, although football only expansion is on the table.

Central Florida: This is a pure upside play, especially since its run of football success came to a screeching halt last year. Overall athletic department has underperformed, and its fan base is still not as strong as you’d like despite growing enrollment. Provides Orlando TV market and Florida recruiting potential.

Cincinnati: Former president Santa Ono spent a significant amount of time courting the Big 12. Former Big East member has lots of pluses and has been nationally competitive in football and basketball. Would provide a geographic partner for West Virginia.

Colorado State: The university profile fits with the Iowa States and Kansas States of the world, but does the athletic program? Colorado State hasn’t been relevant nationally in much of anything for a long time, but it’s building a new football stadium. Does geography here help or hurt?

Connecticut: Obviously the pedigree of its men's and women's basketball programs would be a big plus for the Big 12. How much does basketball matter in this decision? Does a foothold in New England or New York move the needle for a Texas-based league? If you thought Morgantown was a pain, sending non-revenue sports from Texas to Storrs is even less ideal.

Houston: Made a major impression in football last year by winning the Peach Bowl and paying coach Tom Herman $3 million per year to stay. Has aggressively worked on facilities and fundraising. The major hurdle is whether Texas, TCU, Texas Tech, Baylor etc., want to elevate another in-state school and add a potential recruiting competitor.

Memphis: Would plant a flag in SEC country, a solid TV market and fertile recruiting area. Has had recent (though not sustained) football success, a national basketball brand and the trump card: Its affiliation with FedEx, which would like to be a major sponsor for the Big 12 if Memphis is included. Lack of academic heft may be a negative.

South Florida: Has never really fulfilled its potential, but like Central Florida it’s in a major market. If the Big 12 doesn’t think adding the fourth and fifth most popular programs in Florida would significantly impact its recruiting in the state, it should probably look elsewhere.

Tulane: Here’s an interesting wild card. Why? Academics and market. New Orleans fits geographically, and the Tulane reputation could help offset another choice with lesser academic credentials. Plus, Bowlsby and current Tulane athletics director Troy Dannen are close as they both started their careers at Northern Iowa.

Don't sleep on that ex SEC football champion ...

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,258
  • Days Won:  6

"We're not looking at any one factor," Boren said.

"We're looking at the strength of the athletic program, competitiveness. We're looking at fan base, we're looking at access to media markets, and also we're very much looking at the reputations of these institutions for integrity. We're looking at the academic standards of these universities, the level of research and teaching at these institutions."

Bowlsby concurred, adding that the league will seek schools that "will grow over time as we grow."

"They're going to join a family," he said, "and it's important that they strengthen the family and we strengthen them."

I really like these particular criteria outlined by Boren.  It almost sounds like he just got out a USF sales pitch.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

3 hours ago, The Sheriff said:

If we slay FSU at home, the world of college football will be watching if the Big 12 hasn't finalized their decision.

No one really thinks we're gonna "slay" FSU do they? We have a chance to win that game sure, but anyone expecting to "slay" them has crazy outta-touch expectations.  It's college football so crazy things do happen, but to expect them is crazy.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, mark_my_words said:

"We're not looking at any one factor," Boren said.

"We're looking at the strength of the athletic program, competitiveness. We're looking at fan base, we're looking at access to media markets, and also we're very much looking at the reputations of these institutions for integrity. We're looking at the academic standards of these universities, the level of research and teaching at these institutions."

Bowlsby concurred, adding that the league will seek schools that "will grow over time as we grow."

"They're going to join a family," he said, "and it's important that they strengthen the family and we strengthen them."

I really like these particular criteria outlined by Boren.  It almost sounds like he just got out a USF sales pitch.

USF sales pitch all except for that one part ...

• Topic Count:  83
  • Content Count:  7,085
  • Days Won:  11

1 minute ago, NAM37 said:

No one really thinks we're gonna "slay" FSU do they? We have a chance to win that game sure, but anyone expecting to "slay" them has crazy outta-touch expectations.  It's college football so crazy things do happen, but to expect them is crazy.

I think that's why he said "IF"

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,258
  • Days Won:  6

1 minute ago, NAM37 said:

No, but what it will do is show we can fill Ray Jay with right opponent.  Even if we need a lot of help from the opposing team.

Before you say that it would be mostly FSU fans (it won't) but I am sure we would have solid numbers against Texas, TT, OK and OK State.  

We even packed the house against Kansas.