Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Just now, BullyPulpit said:

Colorado's name offers some intrigue and could certainly make the jump back, but if you can get Colorado State at a discount for the next 8 years, I don't see why the conference just doesn't go that route. In that scenario Colorado would have to admit to making a big mistake and the conference would have to agree to let a deserter back in its ranks. 

Colorado > Colorado State by a LONG shot.  The Buffs carry that Denver market all the way.  The B12 would accept them back with open arms if they want back in.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  370
  • Content Count:  6,587
  • Days Won:  37

Just now, GaUSFBull said:

Colorado > Colorado State by a LONG shot.  The Buffs carry that Denver market all the way.  The B12 would accept them back with open arms if they want back in.  

Only because Colorado State is not on equal footing with them right now. If Texas and Oklahoma were coming to Fort Collins every season for a game, I imagine that would dramatically change the perception of the two programs. Colorado is a state that is big enough to support two major college football programs, but currently only has one. 

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,258
  • Days Won:  6

5 minutes ago, 2000bull said:

USF and UCF should both offer to join at 10 mil each for the first couple years...

The current contract with Fox expires in 6 years and they are not planning on renewing according to the article.  

This is a money grab for sure.  Fox must pay the Big 12 the same per school rate if they decide to add schools but the Big 12 can give the extra revenue to the current schools - and will.

Still a good deal if you are USF/UCF.

11 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

Only because Colorado State is not on equal footing with them right now. If Texas and Oklahoma were coming to Fort Collins every season for a game, I imagine that would dramatically change the perception of the two programs. Colorado is a state that is big enough to support two major college football programs, but currently only has one. 

I agree with you, because that is our argument too, that big name programs will fill seats at our stadium.  

It just depends on if the B12 will want to shell out the cash that Colorado will demand to have the market right now, or if they want to spend as little as possible on their next members.  

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

10 hours ago, jvwvu said:

Nope not just about Football, Mens Basketball matters.  

Big 12 does not have a research group like B1G, low admission standards, well look at WVU.

Basketball has been a power house back to Calipari - Now Tubby Smith is there.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memphis_Tigers_men's_basketball

So does Memphis have 3 Final Four appearances? Or 1? Do they count when the NCAA vacates them?

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

9 hours ago, The Great 8 said:

I never got why "Their biggest thing is to find a wife for WV" is so popular.

Are you saying Cincy is their cousin?

I kid, I kid.

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

USA Today School Breakdown:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/columnist/dan-wolken/2016/07/19/big-12-media-days-conference-expansion-bob-bowlsby/87317184/

Boise State: If this were a merit-based discussion on winning football over the last decade, the Broncos would win in a landslide. But Boise isn’t an attractive market, it’s geographically remote for most of the Big 12 and the academic reputation of the school doesn’t hep.

BYU: Has a strong brand, the best football history of any available school and national following. But BYU would create another geographic island unless it’s paired with another school in the West. Not playing on Sunday is an issue in lots of sports besides football, although football only expansion is on the table.

Central Florida: This is a pure upside play, especially since its run of football success came to a screeching halt last year. Overall athletic department has underperformed, and its fan base is still not as strong as you’d like despite growing enrollment. Provides Orlando TV market and Florida recruiting potential.

Cincinnati: Former president Santa Ono spent a significant amount of time courting the Big 12. Former Big East member has lots of pluses and has been nationally competitive in football and basketball. Would provide a geographic partner for West Virginia.

Colorado State: The university profile fits with the Iowa States and Kansas States of the world, but does the athletic program? Colorado State hasn’t been relevant nationally in much of anything for a long time, but it’s building a new football stadium. Does geography here help or hurt?

Connecticut: Obviously the pedigree of its men's and women's basketball programs would be a big plus for the Big 12. How much does basketball matter in this decision? Does a foothold in New England or New York move the needle for a Texas-based league? If you thought Morgantown was a pain, sending non-revenue sports from Texas to Storrs is even less ideal.

Houston: Made a major impression in football last year by winning the Peach Bowl and paying coach Tom Herman $3 million per year to stay. Has aggressively worked on facilities and fundraising. The major hurdle is whether Texas, TCU, Texas Tech, Baylor etc., want to elevate another in-state school and add a potential recruiting competitor.

Memphis: Would plant a flag in SEC country, a solid TV market and fertile recruiting area. Has had recent (though not sustained) football success, a national basketball brand and the trump card: Its affiliation with FedEx, which would like to be a major sponsor for the Big 12 if Memphis is included. Lack of academic heft may be a negative.

South Florida: Has never really fulfilled its potential, but like Central Florida it’s in a major market. If the Big 12 doesn’t think adding the fourth and fifth most popular programs in Florida would significantly impact its recruiting in the state, it should probably look elsewhere.

Tulane: Here’s an interesting wild card. Why? Academics and market. New Orleans fits geographically, and the Tulane reputation could help offset another choice with lesser academic credentials. Plus, Bowlsby and current Tulane athletics director Troy Dannen are close as they both started their careers at Northern Iowa.

SSDD^^^^

• Topic Count:  1,043
  • Content Count:  7,613
  • Days Won:  10

Big 12 moves toward expansion as USF hopes for spot

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/college/big-12-moves-toward-expansion-as-usf-hopes-for-spot/2286018

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

So yeah, summary is that it still comes down how they weight their stated criteria. Media gonna talk...