Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,257
  • Days Won:  6

On 6/22/2016 at 3:55 PM, JTrue said:

I've never seen the numbers on it. These are the things I've been seeing lately.

http://www.usf.edu/admissions/freshman/app-requirements/gpa-test-requirements.aspx

"Competition for space in the freshman class is rigorous. High school GPAs for the middle 50 percent of freshman admitted in Fall 2015 were between 3.81-4.40."

http://news.usf.edu/article/templates/?a=6951&z=220

"This year’s achievement continues a trend at the university. In just 15 years, the average SAT has improved from 1064 to 1223 (1806 on the three-part SAT) and the average high school GPA has increased from 3.49 to 4.08. Incoming ACT scores now stand at an impressive average of 28."

http://www.tampabay.com/news/business/usfs-targets-tampa-bays-top-students-closes-gap-with-uf/2240352

"By this year USF had almost closed the gap with UF, the state's top academic school, trailing only 33 to 27 [incoming valedictorians or salutatorians]."

It was I who predicted the fall of USF academics.  All must genuflect and apologize for questioning me.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

On ‎6‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 3:01 PM, Triple B said:

No, only idiots blindly question the validity of data put out by any given administration without doing at least a little research ..... although idiot may be too strong a word in most cases. This case is still under review.

Got it.

You believe anything anyone tells you unless you do at least a little research.

i.e. you have no capacity for independent thought.   

For future reference when a Nigerian Prince sends you an email requesting money be sure to conduct a full investigation. 

• Topic Count:  150
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

So when do we get to see your numbers on the subject that led you to believe USF was fabricating their enrollment profile? Or is one of the components of "independent thought" having no basis whatsoever?

Edited by JTrue

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,319
  • Days Won:  11

GPAs these days can be very high. I can't remember exact numbers, but after finishing at an IB program, my weighted high school GPA was something like 6.3. Unweighted, I think it was around a 3.7. Each county calculates them slightly differently. At the time, Hillsborough County was adding 0.04 GPA weight to any AP class passed and 0.08 to any IB class passed in a semester. We took classes that counted for both in some cases, though I think those defaulted to the IB weight. Our valedictorian had something like a 6.8. Weighted GPAs can get pretty high these days for people who take only IB/AP classes and add online/summer dual enrollment courses, etc. I'm sure the 7.0 threshold has been broken, and maybe even higher. Therefore, having the average GPA of an incoming class be over 4.0 isn't difficult for the upper echelon of universities with so many IB programs in the state and plenty of AP classes elsewhere, if they attract those students - which Bright Futures used to go a long way towards doing.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,958
  • Days Won:  436

12 minutes ago, FazaUSF said:

GPAs these days can be very high. I can't remember exact numbers, but after finishing at an IB program, my weighted high school GPA was something like 6.3. Unweighted, I think it was around a 3.7. Each county calculates them slightly differently. At the time, Hillsborough County was adding 0.04 GPA weight to any AP class passed and 0.08 to any IB class passed in a semester. We took classes that counted for both in some cases, though I think those defaulted to the IB weight. Our valedictorian had something like a 6.8. Weighted GPAs can get pretty high these days for people who take only IB/AP classes and add online/summer dual enrollment courses, etc. I'm sure the 7.0 threshold has been broken, and maybe even higher. Therefore, having the average GPA of an incoming class be over 4.0 isn't difficult for the upper echelon of universities with so many IB programs in the state and plenty of AP classes elsewhere, if they attract those students - which Bright Futures used to go a long way towards doing.

The 10.0 threshold has been broken

The Valedictorian and Salutorian of my daughter's school both had gpa's over 9. Looking over the lists for the whole county, and the fact that USF is keeping a lot of local braniacs at home, it's pretty easy to see where a 4.08 average is something that anyone with a clue shouldn't even bat an eye at.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

4 hours ago, Triple B said:

The Valedictorian and Salutorian of my daughter's school both had gpa's over 9. Looking over the lists for the whole county, and the fact that USF is keeping a lot of local braniacs at home, it's pretty easy to see where a 4.08 average is something that anyone with a clue shouldn't even bat an eye at.

Academics anonymous has their names on the watch list. God bless 'em, never had that level of motivation in school, and that's why I had to pay.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

I think it's becoming official... the sleeping giant is wide awake. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

20 hours ago, Triple B said:

'Bay Made, Bay Stayed, y'all! Now, if we can just work on getting USF's endowment up above $500M, I think things would be pretty golden in the short-term. Long-term we still have to get the 6-yr graduation rate higher and student/teacher ratio lower to even start sniffing around an AAU application.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

43 minutes ago, Paisa el Toro said:

'Bay Made, Bay Stayed, y'all! Now, if we can just work on getting USF's endowment up above $500M, I think things would be pretty golden in the short-term. Long-term we still have to get the 6-yr graduation rate higher and student/teacher ratio lower to even start sniffing around an AAU application.

I would assume that the extra dollars would help with the student/teacher ratio.