Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

I guess the difference between you and me is that I really don't care if national media thinks we're an after-thought or not.  We KNOW USF is working behind the scenes trying to improve our situation, and we know they did that once and were successful.  

And I am quite certain that whether or not national media mentions us as an expansion candidate has absolutely zero bearing on whether or not our covert efforts are successful.

I'm having trouble thinking of a way to put this tactfully, but here goes:  the lack of mention of USF in the national media is basically an ego bruise for some.  Usually when someone cares SO MUCH about something that means very little, I think that's what it ends up coming down to.  It's a pride thing, an ego-driven pursuit.  I'll admit that I love seeing USF mentioned as an expansion candidate, but I also know that that and $1.50 will get me a corn dog at the local QT.  

I could care less about the Times covering expansion, because I know that when something breaks, if it ever does, the Times will absolutely NOT be the first place I look for the news.  Basically, I read the times for the personal stories about USF's student-athletes, and if someone in TBP posts an article and I'm bored.  If I'm not watching USF sports personally, I'm getting my info on a thread here.  

I'm just not going to worry about our beat reporters covering expansion unless the Big 12 came out and said, 'we're going to choose a new member based on how often their beat reporter has been attending our meetings.'  That's pretty much the only thing that will get me to change my mind on that.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  150
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

This.

And why does Memphis even have someone there? Their media already declared they uncovered the news that they're 100% in.

Edited by JTrue
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

5 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

I guess the difference between you and me is that I really don't care if national media thinks we're an after-thought or not.  We KNOW USF is working behind the scenes trying to improve our situation, and we know they did that once and were successful.  

And I am quite certain that whether or not national media mentions us as an expansion candidate has absolutely zero bearing on whether or not our covert efforts are successful.

My camp.

I get that the coverage of USF, in general, is lacking and I 100% agree there. But I also think that if a Tampa reporter were at this meeting, we'd get 0% more consideration from B12 and get 0% more media attention unless that reporter happened to be wearing a USF shirt as he accidentally stumbled into the B12 official.

30 minutes ago, BullsFanInTX said:

Another tweet about how EVERY expansion candidate city (another tweet had Salt Lake media there) in the country has some type of reporter there EXCEPT Tampa

Jake TrotterVerified account @Jake_Trotter 16m16 minutes ago

Big 12 hasn’t expanded yet, but media corps covering it has. Reporters from Memphis, Cincinnati, Houston, Orlando covering Big 12 meetings

But yes, I am so wrong for pointing this little fact out.

You're not wrong for pointing out that other cities are covering the non-news. You're just not right in believing it matters to anything other than national perception (albeit, to those that don't actually know how this works), which also doesn't matter.

Edited by JTrue

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

I give up.  To each his own opinion.

One thing I do guarantee you though is that we'll get more info about what is going on from Bianchi at the OS, who is actually on ground questioning people right now than we will get out of the TBT. 

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722

10 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

I'm having trouble thinking of a way to put this tactfully, but here goes:  the lack of mention of USF in the national media is basically an ego bruise for some.  Usually when someone cares SO MUCH about something that means very little, I think that's what it ends up coming down to.  It's a pride thing, an ego-driven pursuit.  I'll admit that I love seeing USF mentioned as an expansion candidate, but I also know that that and $1.50 will get me a corn dog at the local QT.  

I could care less about the Times covering expansion, because I know that when something breaks, if it ever does, the Times will absolutely NOT be the first place I look for the news.  Basically, I read the times for the personal stories about USF's student-athletes, and if someone in TBP posts an article and I'm bored.  If I'm not watching USF sports personally, I'm getting my info on a thread here.  

I'm just not going to worry about our beat reporters covering expansion unless the Big 12 came out and said, 'we're going to choose a new member based on how often their beat reporter has been attending our meetings.'  That's pretty much the only thing that will get me to change my mind on that.  

Too much rationale for this thread.... Please only post emotional gibberish on here!

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233

What I find interesting is that many people complain that the "Casual Fan" knows nothing about USF in some threads while in others, they don't care if the casual fans know about USF or not.

I'll put this out there; the more people that know about you, the better off you are in a popularity contest. Now I know realignment is about more then popularity but, local and national fan support is more or less just that, a popularity contest.

Now I could be wrong but, having a writer out there singing USF's praises to anyone who'll listen wouldn't be a bad thing. So I understand BullsFanInTX point of view. He/She may be wording their argument in a way not positively received by some but, it is a valid concern to me.

Now just in case the Big 12 does expand with USF, I'll give everyone a big :LoveFest: and make up. :icon_drink:

Edited by Azmodi
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  222
  • Content Count:  4,210

25 minutes ago, Azmodi said:

What I find interesting is that many people complain that the "Casual Fan" knows nothing about USF in some threads while in others, they don't care if the casual fans know about USF or not.

I'll put this out there; the more people that know about you, the better off you are in a popularity contest. Now I know realignment is about more then popularity but, local and national fan support is more or less just that, a popularity contest.

Now I could be wrong but, having a writer out there singing USF's praises to anyone who'll listen wouldn't be a bad thing. So I understand BullsFanInTX point of view. He/She may be wording their argument in a way not positively received by some but, it is a valid concern to me.

Now just in case the Big 12 does expand with USF, I'll give everyone a big :LoveFest: and make up. :icon_drink:

Well said, and thank you.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,958
  • Days Won:  436

1 hour ago, BullsFanInTX said:

I am not suggesting a reporter holds any sway about what they do.  What I am suggesting is that they dig for information (you know, reporting) about what is actually going on from sources on the ground, whether on the record or off.  Every, and I mean Every other paper has a reporter there trying to find out a scoop.  Orlando, Memphis, Cincinnati, Houston, Salt Lake, you name it.  We have no one doing that.  Thus, it is made to seem in the national media that USF is an after thought.  USF may be an after thought to the big 12...but is someone going to actually question Big 12 sources to find out for sure...so far it HASN'T happened. 

Are Colorado State and UConn represented?

And I've got to say that JT's done a restrained, yeoman's job of combating this foolishness .... a far more tactful job than I would have done if I had seen this earlier .... which is probably why everybody loves him and hates me. :hippy2:

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Are Colorado State and UConn represented?

And I've got to say that JT's done a restrained, yeoman's job of combating this foolishness .... a far more tactful job than I would have done if I had seen this earlier .... which is probably why everybody loves him and hates me. :hippy2:

Nah. Enough people hate me for not being a real fan. I thought Bench had potential, I think AW throws a really nice ball in practice, and I was skeptical of CWT after his first two years.