Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

Bulls1181

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  150
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

9 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

I think if Texas legitimately wanted into the the SEC, A&M would have their hands full stopping it from happening. Texas is straight cash in your pocket. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Just now, JTrue said:

Texas is straight cash in their own pocket. 

FIFY.  Remember who is preventing expansion of their own conference at the moment because they don't want to share more revenue.  As long as they rule the roost in the B12, they're not going anywhere, and why would they?  They pull all the strings.  They're going to want to go somewhere where they can dominate in conference affairs like they have been doing, and I doubt Alabama, Florida and Georgia would allow Texas to come in and do as they wish like they're used to doing.  It would likely cost the SEC members more than they'd want to give up to have Texas in the fold. 

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,256
  • Days Won:  6

34 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

FIFY.  Remember who is preventing expansion of their own conference at the moment because they don't want to share more revenue.  As long as they rule the roost in the B12, they're not going anywhere, and why would they?  They pull all the strings.  They're going to want to go somewhere where they can dominate in conference affairs like they have been doing, and I doubt Alabama, Florida and Georgia would allow Texas to come in and do as they wish like they're used to doing.  It would likely cost the SEC members more than they'd want to give up to have Texas in the fold. 

That all may be true but the premise is IF Texas wanted to join the SEC would they get an invite (not why would they -I agree they probably wouldn't).

I think Texas can go wherever the hell they want to.  Even independent.

Edited by mark_my_words

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

1 minute ago, mark_my_words said:

That all may be true but the premise is IF Texas wanted to join the SEC would they get an invite (not why would they -I agree they probably wouldn't).

I think Texa can go wherever the hell they want to.  Even independent.

Got it.  I disagree, I think the SEC neither needs nor wants Texas, and my point above was I don't believe Texas would have either the current revenue they currently get in the B12 with the SEC, and they certainly wouldn't have the power, so no, I don't believe Texas would get an invite, and I also don't believe Texas would seriously seek one from the SEC either.

Another reason not to go to the SEC is that although they've been down the last couple of years, they would lose competitive advantage in a big way in the SEC.  

• Topic Count:  421
  • Content Count:  9,780
  • Days Won:  8

Texas doesn't work in the SEC because they always want special treatment and to run things. Mizzou and TAMU left the big 12 in large part because of the actions of Texas, same with Nebraska and Colorado. Texas ego is too big to fit at the table. 

Edited by Gismo

2 hours ago, mark_my_words said:

I think Texas can go wherever the hell they want to.  Even independent.

Texas actually looked at the independent model before the Big 12 stuck together... and the problem was the other sports. They didn't want the rest of their sports playing in something ling the Sun Belt or C-USA.  They realized the Big 12 would not allow a partial membership... so the idea of independence was scrapped.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,705
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, Gismo said:

Texas doesn't work in the SEC because they always want special treatment and to run things. Mizzou and TAMU left the big 12 in large part because of the actions of Texas, same with Nebraska and Colorado. Texas ego is too big to fit at the table. 

And we really want to join that? (money aside, that part is obvious)

• Topic Count:  347
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  0

Interesting article on what College football will look like 10 years from now... maybe :-) 

Cliff Notes, one major League of the top 24 teams... then the rest of us.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/college-football-expanded-playoffs-10-years-alabama-ohio-state-notre-dame-051616

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

18 minutes ago, jasonb56 said:

Interesting article on what College football will look like 10 years from now... maybe :-) 

Cliff Notes, one major League of the top 24 teams... then the rest of us.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/college-football-expanded-playoffs-10-years-alabama-ohio-state-notre-dame-051616

Wont happen IMO:

There are enough "big schools" left out from that proposal that will fight tooth and nail to prevent this.

Including a likely class action lawsuit (monopoly)

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,652
  • Days Won:  51

2 hours ago, GaUSFBull said:

Got it.  I disagree, I think the SEC neither needs nor wants Texas, and my point above was I don't believe Texas would have either the current revenue they currently get in the B12 with the SEC, and they certainly wouldn't have the power, so no, I don't believe Texas would get an invite, and I also don't believe Texas would seriously seek one from the SEC either.

Another reason not to go to the SEC is that although they've been down the last couple of years, they would lose competitive advantage in a big way in the SEC.  

Texas is the biggest fish in athletics, closing in on almost $200 million per year in athletic revenues.  

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/jon-solomon/25417211/inside-college-sports-sec-big-ten-dominate-100m-revenue-club

The SEC would snap them up in a second if they could.  The financial arms race with the B1G would be instantly over.  

I'm not saying it makes sense for Texas to go to the SEC, I'm not saying Texas wants to go to the SEC, but if Texas wanted out of the B12 and was looking at joining the B1G you can bet your ass that the SEC would be begging the Longhorns.