Build a stadium on campus

Praktikal

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  220
  • Content Count:  3,671
  • Days Won:  19

All of this arms race is crazy at every level.   I moved to a small NC town and joined the donor's club of a small but well-respected Division II school, Lenoir-Rhyne, with a football stadium that seats about 8,500.  They have just announced they about half-way toward their fundraising goal to renovate the stadium to include all new facilities, including luxury suites and a VIP donor lounge.  Among the rationale for the upgrade was that they have said they want to be ready if they decide to "move up."  Is that Bowlsby on the line?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  586
  • Content Count:  23,166
  • Days Won:  109

50 minutes ago, Triple B said:

CR did say that was on the original plan of the school and maybe once Allen saw it, he nipped it in the bud ....

Exactly.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  50
  • Content Count:  2,503
  • Days Won:  0

Man i just realized everyone from the Big East found a spot at the table except us and UConn. Houston and UCF took our places.

Still hard to believe how inept the school is.

• Crying 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,428
  • Content Count:  98,374
  • Days Won:  490

Smelling World Juniors GIF by International Ice Hockey Federation

• Topic Count:  117
  • Content Count:  22,764
  • Days Won:  53

24 minutes ago, USFBULL_08 said:

Still hard to believe how inept the school is.

It's amazing what happens when you don't even try and do the bare minimum.  

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  1,015
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, CousinRicky said:

Exactly.

Ok, thanks. It’s too bad we hired a president that didn’t even want sports. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Does anyone know the budget costs for maintaining a stadium of 45k? I would assume field maintenance can be pretty expensive as well as general infrastructure maintenance (not wanting to follow ucf’s rust example). 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,958
  • Days Won:  436

6 minutes ago, michibull said:

Ok, thanks. It’s too bad we hired a president that didn’t even want sports. 

It's a big reason we are where we are, IMO, and I won't get my panties in a wad until a school playing football less time than we have jumps ahead of us ....

• Topic Count:  423
  • Content Count:  9,803
  • Days Won:  8

Brad
This post was recognized by Brad!

Gismo was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 10 points.

Even if we had a 30k stadium 10 years ago, we’d have more fans today. 

The OCS is about immersing current students in the fun of “gameday.” Not just the game itself, but the tailgating, the vibe, seeing the cheerful alumni. It gives students an excuse to party, and dramatically increases the number of alumni who will feel tied into athletics and the university. 

40k is what I’ve always felt was a good number and what I’ve been saying for years, but even building a 30k stadium 10 years ago would be paying dividends now I believe. 

An OCS over 10 years would have created a lot more alumni fans. Assume 40,000 students. If the on campus experience draws an extra 5% of them, that is potentially 2,000 students at games who will become alumni fans. 

As others have mentioned, we are also losing out on potential students who get sold on the gameday fun at FSU, Florida, and UCF. 

Traveling to RayJay for games sucks for students.  

We have to also remember our enrollment is not UCF. We don’t need as large a stadium in my opinion. We will always have a smaller alumni and student base. 

The days of RayJay near sellouts are gone. Our clout in the Big East and our bowl streak, and our ability for big upsets all vanished 10 years ago. 

We’ve never won a conference championship. The program and experience has to be rebuilt from nothing, not just the coaches building a roster, but the University needs to step up and give USF football a blank sheet redesign. 

The best time for an OCS announcement would have been riding the highs of 2007 and upsets over big teams, over Auburn,  Notre Dame, FSU, and Clemson bowl win. 

Since we beat those teams on the field it was barely 5 years before 3 had won national championships, and Notre Dame made the playoff. 

It’s insane how this program has slid backwards. The worst backslide in all of college football. No conference championships, no good bowl tie ins, losing seasons, and now an anemic fanbase. 

• Upvote 2
  • Go Bulls! 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,958
  • Days Won:  436

6 minutes ago, Gismo said:

Even if we had a 30k stadium 10 years ago, we’d have more fans today. 

The OCS is about immersing current students in the fun of “gameday.” Not just the game itself, but the tailgating, the vibe, seeing the cheerful alumni. It gives students an excuse to party, and dramatically increases the number of alumni who will feel tied into athletics and the university. 

40k is what I’ve always felt was a good number and what I’ve been saying for years, but even building a 30k stadium 10 years ago would be paying dividends now I believe. 

An OCS over 10 years would have created a lot more alumni fans. Assume 40,000 students. If the on campus experience draws an extra 5% of them, that is potentially 2,000 students at games who will become alumni fans. 

As others have mentioned, we are also losing out on potential students who get sold on the gameday fun at FSU, Florida, and UCF. 

Traveling to RayJay for games sucks for students.  

We have to also remember our enrollment is not UCF. We don’t need as large a stadium in my opinion. We will always have a smaller alumni and student base. 

The days of RayJay near sellouts are gone. Our clout in the Big East and our bowl streak, and our ability for big upsets all vanished 10 years ago. 

We’ve never won a conference championship. The program and experience has to be rebuilt from nothing, not just the coaches building a roster, but the University needs to step up and give USF football a blank sheet redesign. 

The best time for an OCS announcement would have been riding the highs of 2007 and upsets over big teams, over Auburn,  Notre Dame, FSU, and Clemson bowl win. 

Since we beat those teams on the field it was barely 5 years before 3 had won national championships, and Notre Dame made the playoff. 

It’s insane how this program has slid backwards. The worst backslide in all of college football. No conference championships, no good bowl tie ins, losing seasons, and now an anemic fanbase. 

Which, like everything here, is pure conjecture. Traveling to RayJay for students wasn't a big problem back when we were in a relevant conference and it's not a big problem for other programs where stadiums aren't on campus ..... and why would you have built a 30K stadium 10 years ago when we were averaging over 40k? Bottom line is all this 20/20 second guessing. We know what ever we did didn't put us where we want to be right now but nobody knows if there was something we could have done to change this.