MBB AAC Tourney Rd 2 Game Discussion: Bulls vs Wichita State (Mar 12) 12 pm TV: ESPN2

Triple B

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,639
  • Content Count:  75,861
  • Days Won:  436

2 hours ago, bjef4844 said:

Those that are defending Gregory are in the minority now.

Pretty sure the majority here are looking at next year as his make it or break it year and have not written him off yet ....

What is it that you see in a guy whose last 59 regular season games has gone 24-35,

I see that the last normal year he had here he took the team from an RPI of 293 to 104, after taking over a team with a 324 RPI. None of your phony phacts can offset that and it would be stupid to try ....... even for you.

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  11,195
  • Days Won:  68

You are correct - he has been the best coach for the other teams late in games, and had snatched defeat from the jaws of victory on several occasions. I'm not sure where this undying love for Gregory comes from, but I am open to being convinced otherwise.

What is it that you see in a guy whose last 59 regular season games has gone 24-35, has only had 1 season in the last 10 with an OER in the top half of college basketball, hasn't had a winning conference record since Obama's first year in office and whose defensive DER over the last 3 years has gone from #19 to #51 to #233.

The record doesn't justify the love some of you have for Gregory, and people I know who are in basketball know he is a really good guy but a flawed coach.

My bigger concern is that with the one-time transfer rule due to the pandemic we could lose Murphy and Durr, and if Yetna is offered an LNB contract he is likely headed back to France. With Collins and Brown gone that leaves a team that won't sniff .500 in a conference that is getting stronger.

Those that are defending Gregory are in the minority now. 

I simply pointed out your ridiculous observation, I don’t think CBG is the guy to get us over the hump, he is certainly flawed like most people that attended, play and cheer for our University, we have a certain underdog, chip on our shoulder, red headed step child feel here but I am ok with that. I am definitely willing to give him another year, you are only as good as your players and he has upgraded the talent around here( went from none to some).

• Upvote 1

Guest Jonesy Bull

I haven't given up on him yet.  But next year is a BIG year for him.  There should be no excuses next year as he has a fair amount of talented players coming back that should be developed and properly utilized.  We need better play at certain positions (not going to call out names anymore).  And CBG needs to show that he can come up with proper game plans against different types of opponents.  But the players have to execute it, and not go rogue.

• Topic Count:  374
  • Content Count:  4,308
  • Days Won:  56

CBG cobbled together his first team. His second team achieved more than any of the expectations. His third disappointed, but did lose probably its most important player before playing a single game, and this year was a flat-out mess in every way. There is no way you let a guy go based on this. In my book, barring a compete collapse next season, he still has a couple more seasons to get things done. You can’t keep starting over. You have to have some consistency in the program to give it a chance. You don’t have to look any further than Jose Fernandez. His first four seasons at USF? 4-24, 14-13, 7-20, 14-15. Year five? 21-11. If you pull the plug, it’s another Stan Heath situation.

Edited by Dave_Glaser
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

So it sounds like the "majority" aka "astute fans" says he gets another year

7 hours ago, bjef4844 said:

As was I. 21 blown second half leads has a pretty big impact on the 'ole won-loss record, and looks even worse when they are almost all lost the same way - going four corners and giving it to the same guy to go 1 on 3. 

Again, just the facts.

6 hours ago, Friscobull said:

A fact but a dumb one, most people would take that as had the lead at halftime not had a lead at one time during the second half, hence cherry picking data to support your opinion.

It is a fact but an interesting one that further illustrates my point. Of those 21 blown second half leads over the last 3 years, only 2 were in the first year of that span ........... the last non disrupted year.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  586
  • Content Count:  23,112
  • Days Won:  109

15 hours ago, chapelbull said:

Again, what are the other options?   Murphy took the last shot of the game.   There were many jumpers from multiple guys that didn't go down.   We went to Durr.    The idea that the only thing we do is have DC dribble in and fall down game in and game out is a misnomer.

You are being generous. More like a heave from about 1/2 court IIRC.  

Guest Jonesy Bull
13 hours ago, Dave Glaser said:

CBG cobbled together his first team. His second team achieved more than any of the expectations. His third disappointed, but did lose probably its most important player before playing a single game, and this year was a flat-out mess in every way. There is no way you let a guy go based on this. In my book, barring a compete collapse next season, he still has a couple more seasons to get things done. You can’t keep starting over. You have to have some consistency in the program to give it a chance. You don’t have to look any further than Jose Fernandez. His first four seasons at USF? 4-24, 14-13, 7-20, 14-15. Year five? 21-11. If you pull the plug, it’s another Stan Heath situation.

Totally agree with this.  ✅

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

13 hours ago, Triple B said:

It is a fact but an interesting one that further illustrates my point. Of those 21 blown second half leads over the last 3 years, only 2 were in the first year of that span ........... the last non disrupted year.

Not that interesting,if we are going to look at "blown 2nd half leads" then how many "2nd half comeback victories" did we have during that time.   

Regardless it was also the last one with a healthy Yetna .... a guy you actually can run an offense through late in the game.