MBB AAC Tourney Rd 2 Game Discussion: Bulls vs Wichita State (Mar 12) 12 pm TV: ESPN2

Triple B

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

1 hour ago, Friscobull said:

I think we all have the same sentiment when it comes to DC, I can’t watch another late out of control drive in the lane, even when bailed out with a foul he can’t shoot free throws anyways, enough is enough.  I can’t figure out why they don’t keep running the offense and instead rely on this garbage during crunch time.  I blame CBG, he is either calling for this or is letting it happen, I would simply sit his ass and let X run the offense.

Haven't seen where X has been much better at running the offense.   We kept "running the offense" for almost all of the 2nd half and watched the lead evaporate because the laws of regression kicked in and we stopped being able to make 3's and short jumpers kind of like we normally do.   Our shooting sucks so it kind of limits what you can do in "crunch time".  Getting the ball to Durr is probably the best bet, but the other teams know that as well.

4 hours ago, Jonesy Bull said:

I think we have a better PG on this team already that can be slotted in for next year, just needs to be given a chance. 

Who?

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

19 hours ago, Jonesy Bull said:

Durr looked pretty good in this game overall, I thought.  Another year of development, he shows signs of being a pretty good player in the Post next year.

I really like Castaneda.  Now that he has some experience under his belt, I'd like to see him get a shot at the 1st team Point Guard.  I think is a smarter player and is a much better free throw shooter.

Murphy, Brown, and Chaplin should only get better.  They all had really good contributions in this game.  The Well is not completely dry, and I think next year will be better.

To see the Women beat ucf in the Championship is the highlight of my USF sporta experience this year.  I'm not a big Womens BB fan, but am an all USF fan.  Not a whole lot else to pick from this year. 

What you said...Obviously your thinking/observations/feelings pretty much align with mine. I think the women should get a ticker tape parade( some going..???what the hell is ticker tape-ancient) through downtown Tampa and around campus...Hope they do something PUBLIC to advertise this BIG win and commend the women/coaches on their achievement. Use it maybe get a few more folks on board and educate the students that don't like sports..       As WT would say: DO SOMETHING!!!!!!

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,639
  • Content Count:  75,902
  • Days Won:  436

17 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

Haven't seen where X has been much better at running the offense.   We kept "running the offense" for almost all of the 2nd half and watched the lead evaporate because the laws of regression kicked in and we stopped being able to make 3's and short jumpers kind of like we normally do.   Our shooting sucks so it kind of limits what you can do in "crunch time".  Getting the ball to Durr is probably the best bet, but the other teams know that as well.

This is really it. We sometimes forget that the other team gets "paid" too...... although, I do totally agree with the criticism of CBG handling of DC late in games but I also get it from Gregory's stand point. That's his guy, and has been for 4 years even though you're rolling the dice with him. Hopefully DC gets a nice chance to play overseas and takes advantage ...

And one last thing about Durr. Loved the way he's been playing but then when I checked out the box score saw that he had 5 freakin turnovers in that last game ....... no bueno, no bueno.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  586
  • Content Count:  23,134
  • Days Won:  109

On 3/13/2021 at 10:26 AM, bjef4844 said:

This had Gregory's fingerprints all over it again. The stalled offense, Collins to the basket one-on-three. In the last 3 years we have blown 20 second-half leads (this was #21), so in this game Gregory doesn't pull him out (if Collins indeed was growing rogue) or he went back to the one-play playbook he has late in games. If you watch the replay, you will see its the later. Everyone spreads the floor, Collins comes to the ball and everyone spreads out. Its a designed play.

This is on Gregory. He routinely gets away from what work the first 30-35 minutes of games and we wind up coughing up the game instead.

After 2 years of you ragging on CBG I'm ready to agree with you.  If doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result is insanity then I am afraid he is insane.  Collins doesn't play point most of the game but in the last 3 - 5 minutes that is all coach is calling. Rather have the ball in X's hands. He makes better decisions and he can shoot the ball a bit better than Collins.  He's not as strong physically but I'd rather take my chances with him. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Dave Glaser said:

I’m grateful to DC for his career at USF, but I’ve seen enough of him at this point. Would like to see Brown return next year. And what to do about Yetna? Will he always be a shadow of the player we saw two years ago? What a shame, but absolutely par for the course when it comes to USF basketball. We find a guy who looks like he may develop into an all-conference talent and . . . 

The most important basketball senior that needs to be talked into returning is Betye Mununga.

I've heard there is a better chance that she returns than Shae.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Triple B said:

This is really it. We sometimes forget that the other team gets "paid" too...... although, I do totally agree with the criticism of CBG handling of DC late in games but I also get it from Gregory's stand point. That's his guy, and has been for 4 years even though you're rolling the dice with him. Hopefully DC gets a nice chance to play overseas and takes advantage ...

And one last thing about Durr. Loved the way he's been playing but then when I checked out the box score saw that he had 5 freakin turnovers in that last game ....... no bueno, no bueno.

Year over year I think Durr is the most improved player on the team.  Over the last part of this season I would give it to Chaplan.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,639
  • Content Count:  75,902
  • Days Won:  436

10 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Year over year I think Durr is the most improved player on the team.  Over the last part of this season I would give it to Chaplan.

This is why I really hope DC gets a chance at the next level somewhere so we can see more of Chaplin. Only downside is that although he was our best shooter percentage wise at 47.3%, he was our worse FTer at 43.8%. That would definitely have to improve .....

15 minutes ago, Triple B said:

This is why I really hope DC gets a chance at the next level somewhere so we can see more of Chaplin. Only downside is that although he was our best shooter percentage wise at 47.3%, he was our worse FTer at 43.8%. That would definitely have to improve .....

Do we have a team psychologist/psychiatrist on staff?  I should know that but don't.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  424
  • Days Won:  1

50 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

After 2 years of you ragging on CBG I'm ready to agree with you.  If doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result is insanity then I am afraid he is insane.  Collins doesn't play point most of the game but in the last 3 - 5 minutes that is all coach is calling. Rather have the ball in X's hands. He makes better decisions and he can shoot the ball a bit better than Collins.  He's not as strong physically but I'd rather take my chances with him. 

If we know what is coming late in games you know the other teams do too. Over the last 3 years we have seen 21 losses where we had the lead in the second half (several double digit leads like against Wichita State). I wonder where this team and program would be if Gregory didn't get tight late in games.

Edited by bjef4844

Guest Jonesy Bull
1 hour ago, chapelbull said:

Who?

Castaneda and Murphy - for next year, now that they have more experience under their belt.

The new guy coming in is supposed to be Quality, but he will only be a Freshman - so probably not for next year.