He is 38-31 over the past 2 seasons .. .that's winning

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,117
  • Days Won:  4

13 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

lol okay Einstein.

So those 24 wins that came from the 2018-19 CBI Champions, you are saying that team had "less-than-stellar" talent? I thought the loss of Yetna...errr, the Messiah was the lone single reason last year's team lost those 17 games.

Or are you saying that the 2018-19 Champions of the Universe were able to win because their "less-than-stellar" talent was still better than our oppositions "less-than-good" talent, because its not like that team consistently beat good teams (4-8 against RPI Top 100 teams).

You argument, and its honestly an insult to call it an argument, is as contradictory as it is uninformed. Let's see how this season plays out, but if Gregory can't find a way to stop crapping the bed late in games, this season is going to be a major letdown for an athletic department that can't afford any more of those.

Who has been playing at the 4-5 slots? Durr has been slightly below avg, and Yetna hurt. Who else is even out there? Do you not understand you need a decent player over 6'6 in basketball? Who's that player for USF? 

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,117
  • Days Won:  4

7 hours ago, SilverBull said:

I am not belittling his efforts but, for me, the key to a good point guard is someone who can efficiently run the offense, distribute the ball, dribble penetrate and dish and score fairly regularly to keep the other team honest.  In that department I would rate Q as serviceable at best.  I won't challenge his defensive play, although, when you look at our turnover and points off of turnover +/- ratio last year I think it is kind of a wash.  But believe me, I know finding a great point guard is not easy, particularly for USF.

His free throw shooting was his biggest weakness, I'll give you that. The point is that hes probably #3 or 4 of 12 AAC starting pg's imo. It just didnt show as much as we'd like, due to what I said before, having a lack of big men drained his energy. 

Edited by WhoRUSF

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,639
  • Content Count:  75,711
  • Days Won:  436

2 hours ago, brybull1970 said:

I watched all of the games

and saw what you wanted to see ..... whether it actually happened all the time or not. Clinical term is confirmation bias.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

31 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

but if Gregory can't find a way to stop crapping the bed late in games, 

You mean like 2018/19 when we didn't crap the bed late in games?

18 minutes ago, WhoRUSF said:

Who has been playing at the 4-5 slots? Durr has been slightly below avg, and Yetna hurt. Who else is even out there? Do you not understand you need a decent player over 6'6 in basketball? Who's that player for USF? 

There wasn't one last year period ... he knows that but it doesn't fit into his random narrative

3 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

That wasn't the argument - the statement was the Gregory has been able to win with "less-than-stella"r talent. With the CBI championship season being the tentpole of his "winning" definition, he is essentially saying that team - including Yetna - is "less-than-stellar" from a talent perspective. The only thing @chapelbull illustrates is his lack of understanding of the sport.

To your point, I thought Durr developed nicely last season and started to show an effective back to the basket game from either block, but that was under utilized. He led the team in rebounding and blocks, was 4th in scoring and 3rd in field goal percentage and he was only slightly below the team average in free throw shooting. I'd say that he was better than average.

Yeah, I don't understand the sport.  In 2018/19 we didn't blow a ton of leads ... in 2019/20 we did "blow" leads.  What changed?   Not the coach "einstein" ....... 🙄

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,639
  • Content Count:  75,711
  • Days Won:  436

29 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

Yeah, I don't understand the sport.  In 2018/19 we didn't blow a ton of leads ... in 2019/20 we did "blow" leads.  What changed?   Not the coach "einstein" ....... 🙄

11 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

That wasn't your argument

Doesn't matter if that was his argument or not, it's pretty much evidence that trying to pin blown leads entirely on CBG is the result of a pretty fertile imagination, Walt .....

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  1,752
  • Days Won:  0

Really looking forward to USF hoops! 🤘

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  11,132
  • Days Won:  67

45 minutes ago, brybull1970 said:

That wasn't your argument - you said CBG won with "less-than-stellar" talent based on his "winning" coaching record over the last 2 season. Since there was only one actual winning season in there you are saying that the CBI season was stacked with "less-than-stellar" talent, which includes Yetna.

I know that everyone has a chub for CBG because he rebuilt the program after the Antigua disaster, but this team will continue to underachieve under CBG because of his documented, long history of failure to field above average teams in whatever conference he has been in, and more importantly, at USF, has shown to be inept at game management late in games.

That history is documented and there to see if you open your eyes. If not, then keep drinking the Kool-Aid and wait for your Jim Jones to take you to the promised land of occasional mediocrity.

This will be an interesting year, I hope you eat crow but only time will tell.  If they are top 4 in the conference, NCAA berth or a deep run in the NIT, would you count this a success? Will this be enough for you to sing CBG’s praises?