USF Inks Trey Moss During Early Signing Period

Triple B

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,117
  • Days Won:  4

1 minute ago, smazza said:

sounds like a lack of talent issue

No big men, I agree. We need forwards badly. The guard play has been exceptional, outside of a decent 3 point shot. There is work to be done. I'm just saying, lets not Leavitt this guy. He's competitive and needs time to figure it out. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  216
  • Content Count:  3,640
  • Days Won:  19

1 hour ago, WhoRUSF said:

Full disclosure, I probably haven't watched enough games to evaluate Gregory's coaching ability. But simply from seeing the players we had, and knowing we lost close games. The guards were probably getting tired from not having a good big man. When your team is getting outrebounded, the guards have to put more energy off the ball, which can hurt their offensive output (especially late in the game). 

These teams have talent again, which is something we have been missing for big chunk's of USF's basketball history, so in coach Gregory I trust. For now. 

57 minutes ago, WhoRUSF said:

No big men, I agree. We need forwards badly. The guard play has been exceptional, outside of a decent 3 point shot. There is work to be done. I'm just saying, lets not Leavitt this guy. He's competitive and needs time to figure it out. 

For the most part, I agree with this assessment, though from my observations I wouldn't by any stretch call our guard play "exceptional."  What good guard play we could muster tended to break down from fatigue near the end of games.  While Collins is a real stud workhorse we tended to ride him too hard.  Q, well, he tried hard.   It is particularly difficult for a guard that is not a consistent outside threat to successfully shoot the rock.  I think CBG sees this as well as anyone and is trying to address it in recruiting.  And anyone who thinks the back-to-back loss of Yetna and Kiir is something most teams would successfully cope with, I don't think they really understand college basketball.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,117
  • Days Won:  4

16 minutes ago, SilverBull said:

For the most part, I agree with this assessment, though from my observations I wouldn't by any stretch call our guard play "exceptional."  What good guard play we could muster tended to break down from fatigue near the end of games.  While Collins is a real stud workhorse we tended to ride him too hard.  Q, well, he tried hard.   It is particularly difficult for a guard that is not a consistent outside threat to successfully shoot the rock.  I think CBG sees this as well as anyone and is trying to address it in recruiting.  And anyone who thinks the back-to-back loss of Yetna and Kiir is something most teams would successfully cope with, I don't think they really understand college basketball.

I would rate Rideau more than "well he tried hard". He played insane good defense

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  216
  • Content Count:  3,640

30 minutes ago, WhoRUSF said:

I would rate Rideau more than "well he tried hard". He played insane good defense

I am not belittling his efforts but, for me, the key to a good point guard is someone who can efficiently run the offense, distribute the ball, dribble penetrate and dish and score fairly regularly to keep the other team honest.  In that department I would rate Q as serviceable at best.  I won't challenge his defensive play, although, when you look at our turnover and points off of turnover +/- ratio last year I think it is kind of a wash.  But believe me, I know finding a great point guard is not easy, particularly for USF.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,070

This looks like a good get. 

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  11,132
  • Days Won:  67

23 minutes ago, SilverBull said:

I am not belittling his efforts but, for me, the key to a good point guard is someone who can efficiently run the offense, distribute the ball, dribble penetrate and dish and score fairly regularly to keep the other team honest.  In that department I would rate Q as serviceable at best.  I won't challenge his defensive play, although, when you look at our turnover and points off of turnover +/- ratio last year I think it is kind of a wash.  But believe me, I know finding a great point guard is not easy, particularly for USF.

Rideau was what we needed at the time, was a beast on D, couldn’t make a free throw to save his ass, but left it all out on the floor.  If we want to compete for a conference championship then we need an upgrade, X is decent, but would be nice to have a stud distributing the ball, he has built a nice supporting cast and I am on the bus ready to see us breakout this season.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,639
  • Content Count:  75,711
  • Days Won:  436

3 hours ago, brybull1970 said:

If you have no 'go to" player then whose fault is that? And if you are telling me that Yetna is your only "go to" player you've recruited/developed then CBG had all season to figure that one out. And because of that failure, there were two big takeaways that exposed how poor of a game manager he is:

• He ran a more-than-competent offense for the first 30+ minutes of games, so all he needed to do what trust what he had designed and what his players had done, and play the last 5-10 minutes like the prior 30-35 minutes. He had a successful game plan then his butthole puckered up. 
  • After about the 5th blown lead of the season, where he exclusively ran Collins and Rideau off of high screens in the last 5 minutes of games, he should have realized that plan late in games DOES NOT WORK. And then he should have adjusted and done something else. Instead he did it another 7 times and lost all of them.

My original point is this - I hope he has recruited the types of players he is now comfortable with running his offense for a full 40 minutes, otherwise the players he has assembled. CBG strikes me as a guy who lacks confidence in his ability to manage games late, based on his reluctance to trust what has worked for the majority of the game, and for the inexplicable decision to continue pivot to a game plan where he thinks going 1-on-5 is his best option. 

I'm sure if there was video of all these games you'd be proven to be just as full of **** as some with their observations of some of the playcalling in last Saturday's game. A portion of what you say may have some slivers of truth but if you've got a guy going 1 on 5 that means that 4 other players are open and I do recall times where DC or Q should have kicked out but they didn't ......... Just like in football, playcalling hinges on execution and bad execution can make play calls look horrible.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

6 hours ago, smazza said:

sounds like a lack of talent issue

There was little to no talented big man when Yetna went down and then the other guy left the team.  It was the Rideau, Collins, and sometimes Brown show all season.  Many of those "blown leads" were to teams that far outtalented us.  Hell one of those was FSU who I believe ended the season ranked #1 overall.   Calling out out CBG's coaching ability is dumb at this point.   As I said, the previous year when Yetna was healthy, this was a complete nonissue.

5 hours ago, WhoRUSF said:

Excellent defensive player, mediocre on the offense end

There are no excuses.  He has won and with less than stellar talent.   Calling out CBG's coaching is dumb at this point, but what would we expect