Jeff Scott = Skip Holtz

flsportsfan83

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  19,515
  • Days Won:  255

Just now, NewEnglandBull said:

Not that many...you must have been a liberal arts major. 

Political science because I thought I wanted to be a lawyer, I don’t really know what a political scientist does but I don’t think it’s what I do.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

2 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Political science because I thought I wanted to be a lawyer, I don’t really know what a political scientist does but I don’t think it’s what I do.

😂😂 I was a political science major as well and intended to go to law school as well. Must be a usf marketing gimmick...”get a political science degree and then you can go to law school”...😂😂

Edited by NewEnglandBull
  • Haha 1

😂😂 I was a political science major as well and intended to go to law school as well. Must be a usf marketing gimmick...”get a political science degree and then you can go to law school”...😂😂

I had an epiphany during he LSAT that I had no desire to be a lawyer at that time and I wanted to take some time off. I still thought I would maybe go back or get into politics but then I thought I had personality flaws that would prevent me from political aspirations, turns out I wrong about all of my issues being non starters.

10 minutes ago, puc86 said:

I had an epiphany during he LSAT that I had no desire to be a lawyer at that time and I wanted to take some time off. I still thought I would maybe go back or get into politics but then I thought I had personality flaws that would prevent me from political aspirations, turns out I wrong about all of my issues being non starters.

I worked an internship at a St.Pete law firm and I saw the light...or the darkness if you will. 

I worked an internship at a St.Pete law firm and I saw the light...or the darkness if you will. 

I think you have the job that I actually wanted by my senior year but I wanted to be in philosophy and all of my professors explained to me how it was basically impossible to get a tenured position as it brings in zero dollars and every department was shrinking 

7 minutes ago, puc86 said:

I think you have the job that I actually wanted by my senior year but I wanted to be in philosophy and all of my professors explained to me how it was basically impossible to get a tenured position as it brings in zero dollars and every department was shrinking 

They were probably right. We are a state university and we don’t even have a philosophy department. The money in teaching is all STEM and business.

1 minute ago, NewEnglandBull said:

They were probably right. We are a state university and we don’t even have a philosophy department. The money in teaching is all STEM and business.

That’s sounds horrible, I’ll just stick to reading for fun and waxing poetically on the internet 

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  855
  • Days Won:  1

15 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

The money in teaching is all STEM and business.

That makes me sad. State Universities should not be big vocational school factories for specific hot jobs. Higher education needs a renaissance. I have 2 degrees in business and technology, that was my path because I was already 25 years old and already had a full time career by the time i landed at USF in 2000 as a JUCO graduate. I hate to see 18 year olds that should be learning what genuinely interests them and studying the human condition instead focusing on how they can be the next big thing in a STEM career. Humanity is more important than business and technology dammit! I've discouraged my children from getting STEM degrees because I want them to be better than me and be more than just an instrument of a specific vocation.

15 minutes ago, pascobull said:

That makes me sad. State Universities should not be big vocational school factories for specific hot jobs. Higher education needs a renaissance. I have 2 degrees in business and technology, that was my path because I was already 25 years old and already had a full time career by the time i landed at USF in 2000 as a JUCO graduate. I hate to see 18 year olds that should be learning what genuinely interests them and studying the human condition instead focusing on how they can be the next big thing in a STEM career. Humanity is more important than business and technology dammit! I've discouraged my children from getting STEM degrees because I want them to be better than me and be more than just an instrument of a specific vocation.

I get that but universities...especially those up here are in a fight for their life financially.  They Do not have the luxury of offering programs that do not generate revenue. Many of the states up here or decreasing their financial commitment to the universities. Thus, programs cannot be offered if there is no sustainable market. However, the reason there’s no market is interesting.The reality is most parents, unlike yourself, don’t want to pay for or sponsor loans for their kids without higher assurances they will increase their opportunities in the job market. Some of this position is presumptuous but it turned into reality for many. As a business professor I have seen 4 to 5 departments just disappear over the past few years. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,768
  • Days Won:  3

I am having trouble deciding whether these threads are sarcasm or true feelings or a mixture of both.