Why the AAC Medical Experts Differ from the PAC and Big10

NewEnglandBull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,903
  • Content Count:  66,199
  • Days Won:  172

10 hours ago, puc86 said:

I am just trying to understand the other position as people just say you have to shut the whole thing down over and over because any danger is too much. If they can keep posting their take I don’t think it’s too much to enquirer how they come to it especially in a thread dedicated to the subject. I do not mean to upset you I truly don’t I just am genuinely interested in how people justify the position that any danger at all is too much when they are actively contributing to something that by it’s very nature is dangerous to the athletes.

there is an inherent risk in the playing of football.only the individual playing the sport gets hurt.

the covid virus not only infects the individual but can infect others.this is a deadly virus. this is a public heath issue.the vast majority of doctors agree with the big 10 and pac 12 decisions

• Topic Count:  149
  • Content Count:  19,947
  • Days Won:  255

8 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

These are all good points. I have pretty much taken the same precautions. However, yesterday I did buy a plane ticket to fly to Jacksonville, FL to see my 92 year old mother and a few other relatives. I have mixed emotions doing this but I feel it must be done. I will be taking every precaution I can think of during the whole trip. But I am at point now that if there is football and I have a chance to go, I am going. 

I need to visit my grandparents (the time to do so is probably coming to a close) but I have not lived the safest of life and told my wife we would have to be much more diligent before doing so, it is tough times with tough decisions for everyone but ultimately I believe everyone has to make the decisions that are best for their lives (even if they make no sense when viewed from our perspective).

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, smazza said:

there is an inherent risk in the playing of football.only the individual playing the sport gets hurt.

the covid virus not only infects the individual but can infect others.this is a deadly virus. this is a public heath issue.the vast majority of doctors agree with the big 10 and pac 12 decisions

That is a fair enough position but taking a position that you are doing so out of concern for athletes safety is a dishonest one that wrongly attempts to paint yourself as altruistic and the others selfish for actually taking the side of the athletes and their parents. If there is a doctor that believes playing sports (with controls and testing that would not be present in their normal lives) is inherently more dangerous for the participants than any other daily activity they may be engaged in they are being selectively risk adverse and their opinion is not rooted or being driven by science in any way shape or form.

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

My only concern is being forced to take a vaccine that may in fact be useless and no one knows exactly what's in it. We have passed that slippery slope and are on the slide down. They are taking our Fredom of Choice, next is our fredom to live.

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,273
  • Days Won:  1

37 minutes ago, smazza said:

I won't go into the various fallacies that playing football will cause a large amount of community spread to vulnerable populations...so...many faulty...assumptions...

Edited by DJBulls

7 minutes ago, DJBulls said:

I won't go into the various fallacies that playing football will cause a large amount of community spread to vulnerable populations...so...many faulty...assumptions...

But....Science???

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  590
  • Content Count:  23,506
  • Days Won:  111

1 hour ago, Brad said:

I hear ya CR, but I differ a bit.  Call it carelessness.  I'm in a "risk group" as it is described by age and current treatment for health issues.  However, I went out to dinner last night with my wife, kids (not first time in last couple months) and one of their friends from Tampa.  Tonight we go out and celebrate my older son's birthday.  I have some concern and try somewhat to be cautious, but I sure don't want everything around me to stop or vanish.  Yes, the virus can be deadly.  Of the group I was with last night, I was the one most at risk (usually the case).  I think those of us at risk, have to make the decisions for ourselves.  Sadly, its another issue that is highly politicized whereby if you don't fall in line, you're selfish.  I still coach basketball knowing full well a mask does not offer much protection.  Anyway, I'd like people to do their thing and be considerate of others.  But I would never ask anyone not to live their life so I can live mine.  With that said, I hope USF plays some football, since I think that is what this is about.

My family doc who is a Lightning team doctor and C of Staff at a local hospital contracted it.  He firmly believes it was from going out to dinner.  He's a pretty smart guy but I question why he'd be going out. Spent 5 days in ICU and did all the treatments - plasma, remdesivir and the steroid.  Is there a chance a college student who was a server passed it on?  Maybe.  Could it have been another patron? Maybe.  But it definitely scared the sh$! out of him and he was really sick.  No one in his office had it nor on his staff at the hospital thus his belief it was from the restaurant.

We have reservations to go to a wine dinner next week but then we made plans to go away for a couple of nights with some friends of ours.  We're cancelling the wine dinner reservations even though we weren't planning on sitting in the room where the dinner was being held.  I'd hate to pass it on to them. 

I got off of here for a bit to take a break from exactly this and now I've been sucked back in.  So I'll take the weekend off.  Only jumped on to see more about the Notre Dame game.  I need to learn to keep my mouth shut (or fingers off the keyboard).  

Edited by CousinRicky

1 hour ago, puc86 said:

I need to visit my grandparents (the time to do so is probably coming to a close) but I have not lived the safest of life and told my wife we would have to be much more diligent before doing so, it is tough times with tough decisions for everyone but ultimately I believe everyone has to make the decisions that are best for their lives (even if they make no sense when viewed from our perspective).

Try to find a testing site if you can. Outside of that stay safe for 7 to 10 days.  Most symptoms show in 3 - 7 days. You could be totally asymptomatic but usually someone shows a little something. And then wear a mask when you visit.  If they aren't in an asst living type place you should be good.  

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,452
  • Content Count:  98,867
  • Days Won:  494

4 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

I got off of here for a bit to take a break from exactly this and now I've been sucked back in.  So I'll take the weekend off.  Only jumped on to see more about the Notre Dame game.  I need to learn to keep my mouth shut (or fingers off the keyboard).  

It is a stressful time, for sure.  I find more peace reading thoughts, opinions and stories here than I do on national social media apps where people are just horrible for the sake of being horrible - with or without COVID or riots.  They're just that way.  

31 minutes ago, DJBulls said:

Will just give one possible example.  Should a player get it and he has a girlfriend who is a server at a restaurant.  Increased risk to vulnerable population that have gone out.  And here we go.  So your reply is stay the hell home and don't go out to dinner if you're over 60.  Then I say. Wear a freakin mask so you don't spread it.  And then you say........  Again. I'll check back on Monday or Tuesday.  This just goes round and round.