Why the AAC Medical Experts Differ from the PAC and Big10

NewEnglandBull

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  586
  • Content Count:  23,019
  • Days Won:  109

On 8/17/2020 at 10:00 AM, puc86 said:

If that’s all it takes then how does football to continue to operate in general? Football by it’s very nature is dangerous and if Covid becomes one of those dangers I believe that it needs to be shown that it is a greater danger than the game itself and that the dangers of Covid are greater in a football setting than they are in the athletes every day lives (so far quite a few parents and athletes believe they are safer from Covid in the confines of their football program than they are in their general lives and I believe people know what’s best for their lives more than I do).

This is great. I stop in after getting an email from our buddy SilverBull about the Notre Dame game so figure I'd quickly run through the other topics and learn that you think football is dangerous - again.  Are you just copying and pasting now?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,381
  • Days Won:  255

50 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

This is great. I stop in after getting an email from our buddy SilverBull about the Notre Dame game so figure I'd quickly run through the other topics and learn that you think football is dangerous - again.  Are you just copying and pasting now?

Sorry I think it’s a fair question to ask someone that thinks that any degree of danger from Covid is a reason to shut down all of Football. I have yet to have anyone make the claim even attempt to answer how you can be completely risk adverse to any danger and yet ignore that playing football in and of itself is dangerous. If you are okay with the danger of football it would seem that avoiding any danger is not your position so it becomes a matter of degrees in which case you should be able to present why you believe Covid poses a danger to athletes bigger than playing the sport they are engaged in and at what degree or danger it becomes unacceptable to you.

8 hours ago, puc86 said:

Sorry I think it’s a fair question to ask someone that thinks that any degree of danger from Covid is a reason to shut down all of Football. I have yet to have anyone make the claim even attempt to answer how you can be completely risk adverse to any danger and yet ignore that playing football in and of itself is dangerous. If you are okay with the danger of football it would seem that avoiding any danger is not your position so it becomes a matter of degrees in which case you should be able to present why you believe Covid poses a danger to athletes bigger than playing the sport they are engaged in and at what degree or danger it becomes unacceptable to you.

I get it. You've been posting the same thing for 3 or 4 months now.  We know your position.

14 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

I get it. You've been posting the same thing for 3 or 4 months now.  We know your position.

I am just trying to understand the other position as people just say you have to shut the whole thing down over and over because any danger is too much. If they can keep posting their take I don’t think it’s too much to enquirer how they come to it especially in a thread dedicated to the subject. I do not mean to upset you I truly don’t I just am genuinely interested in how people justify the position that any danger at all is too much when they are actively contributing to something that by it’s very nature is dangerous to the athletes.

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

ECU halted all Football activities today. They've apparently been having huge parties on campus the past couple weeks and are getting a large number of positive test results. Even though the tests are very unreliable, the large parties were a dumb idea.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  87
  • Content Count:  13,526
  • Days Won:  29

1 hour ago, Azmodi said:

ECU halted all Football activities today. They've apparently been having huge parties on campus the past couple weeks and are getting a large number of positive test results. Even though the tests are very unreliable, the large parties were a dumb idea.

College kids and large parties/social gatherings kind of go hand in hand. 

Edited by Outlaw

9 hours ago, puc86 said:

I am just trying to understand the other position as people just say you have to shut the whole thing down over and over because any danger is too much. If they can keep posting their take I don’t think it’s too much to enquirer how they come to it especially in a thread dedicated to the subject. I do not mean to upset you I truly don’t I just am genuinely interested in how people justify the position that any danger at all is too much when they are actively contributing to something that by it’s very nature is dangerous to the athletes.

See below. This whole thing isn't just about the athlete or student getting infected. Don't think it is football in particular that people are concerned about but spreading the virus from people that don't suffer from symptoms to people that might (elderly, pre-existing, etc).  Large gatherings of players and fans could be likened to these large parties attended by the students.  Kids go home on weekends, Thanksgiving, whatever.  I'm someone in the middle.  If we play football, I'm probably going. Yet I haven't been to a restaurant (indoor or outdoor) yet.  I see my daughter and her family even though they aren't particularly careful. Our youngest grandson has been going to his therapy sessions throughout. Some things I find worth taking the chance for. Seeing them is worth it to me. Does it tick me off that they aren't as careful as us?  You betcha. (In my best Sarah Palin voice). But after we see them we don't visit any other friends closer to our age (who are careful people) for 7 - 10 days because I won't put them at risk.   Seeing USF football is probably going to be worth it to me.  This is about others, not you or me. 

Now, you can tell me again how playing football is dangerous in and of itself.  I may not read it but you can post it because that is what you do. 

9 hours ago, Azmodi said:

7 hours ago, Outlaw said:

College kids and large parties/social gatherings kind of go hand in hand. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

45 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

See below. This whole thing isn't just about the athlete or student getting infected. Don't think it is football in particular that people are concerned about but spreading the virus from people that don't suffer from symptoms to people that might (elderly, pre-existing, etc).  Large gatherings of players and fans could be likened to these large parties attended by the students.  Kids go home on weekends, Thanksgiving, whatever.  I'm someone in the middle.  If we play football, I'm probably going. Yet I haven't been to a restaurant (indoor or outdoor) yet.  I see my daughter and her family even though they aren't particularly careful. Our youngest grandson has been going to his therapy sessions throughout. Some things I find worth taking the chance for. Seeing them is worth it to me. Does it tick me off that they aren't as careful as us?  You betcha. (In my best Sarah Palin voice). But after we see them we don't visit any other friends closer to our age (who are careful people) for 7 - 10 days because I won't put them at risk.   Seeing USF football is probably going to be worth it to me.  This is about others, not you or me. 

Now, you can tell me again how playing football is dangerous in and of itself.  I may not read it but you can post it because that is what you do. 

These are all good points. I have pretty much taken the same precautions. However, yesterday I did buy a plane ticket to fly to Jacksonville, FL to see my 92 year old mother and a few other relatives. I have mixed emotions doing this but I feel it must be done. I will be taking every precaution I can think of during the whole trip. But I am at point now that if there is football and I have a chance to go, I am going. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,409
  • Content Count:  98,073
  • Days Won:  488

I hear ya CR, but I differ a bit.  Call it carelessness.  I'm in a "risk group" as it is described by age and current treatment for health issues.  However, I went out to dinner last night with my wife, kids (not first time in last couple months) and one of their friends from Tampa.  Tonight we go out and celebrate my older son's birthday.  I have some concern and try somewhat to be cautious, but I sure don't want everything around me to stop or vanish.  Yes, the virus can be deadly.  Of the group I was with last night, I was the one most at risk (usually the case).  I think those of us at risk, have to make the decisions for ourselves.  Sadly, its another issue that is highly politicized whereby if you don't fall in line, you're selfish.  I still coach basketball knowing full well a mask does not offer much protection.  Anyway, I'd like people to do their thing and be considerate of others.  But I would never ask anyone not to live their life so I can live mine.  With that said, I hope USF plays some football, since I think that is what this is about.

43 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

This is what I assumed the reason is for most and I appreciate your perspective and reasoning. I am just marginally annoyed that people cloak their reasoning behind altruistic concern for student athletes when the students and their parents have determined that being in the program is safer for them than their every day lives and as I have stated contact sports are in fact dangerous to the athletes already. People are actually not concerned for the students which is why they typically are not raising a fuss about the dangers of the sports they are concerned about themselves(which is understandable) and unlike the dangers of the sports they believe this danger can impact them. I just wish people would be more honest about the whole thing because sports are now being played everywhere and without an observable negative impact (now if fans should be able to huddle in mass maybe an entirely different question) but if sports can be safely played (as safe as they can be or as safe as any other activities now)  is seemingly answered pretty clearly.