Please welcome new member “blah blah”

NewEnglandBull

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,942
  • Days Won:  436

3 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I have no idea but it is pretty easy to see that have of the additions are not legitimate. I know I’ll get “how can you tell” but I think most would agree it’s dubious at best. 

Just because they don't post doesn't mean they're not legitimate ...... and I'm still trying to figure out what exactly what a 'bot' is and how they work. Had someone the last few days join up to try and get some free advertising but not sure what this "Dichotomy" character was, with their thread trying to direct to a spoof site.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

6 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Just because they don't post doesn't mean they're not legitimate ...... and I'm still trying to figure out what exactly what a 'bot' is and how they work. Had someone the last few days join up to try and get some free advertising but not sure what this "Dichotomy" character was, with their thread trying to direct to a spoof site.

Fair enough. Based on our attendance, fan interest, and number of followers on other social member sites, I still say statistically many of these newbies are frauds. But I get it, not much one can do. 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,423
  • Content Count:  98,293
  • Days Won:  490

5 hours ago, Triple B said:

How can you tell they're a bot? And there must not be a way to automatically do it or I'd guess Brad would have that set up.

I review every one individually and can tell if authentic or not.  Lately, the vast majority are real people, including some from USF.  Very few over the years join and contribute a post out of the gate as many started off as lurkers.  

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Fair enough. Based on our attendance, fan interest, and number of followers on other social member sites, I still say statistically many of these newbies are frauds. But I get it, not much one can do. 

Well, you’re wrong.  See above.  

5 minutes ago, Brad said:

I review every one individually and can tell if authentic or not.  Lately, the vast majority are real people, including some from USF.  Very few over the years join and contribute a post out of the gate as many started off as lurkers.  

Well, you’re wrong.  See above.  

Ok I’ll take your word for it. I’ll assume that 99% who have joined lately are lurkers then. This last dude posting really pissed me off. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

7 minutes ago, Brad said:

I review every one individually and can tell if authentic or not.

And just to be clear, they're automatically added when they join but you vett them as soon as you can afterwards?

Some sites will disallow posting until approved. I don’t do that because the vast majority are legit. Hence one will get through to a post(s) before I can review and delete.  Trip was all over  “dichotomy”. 

Just now, Triple B said:

And just to be clear, they're automatically added when they join but you vett them as soon as you can afterwards?

Yes

5 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

This last dude posting really pissed me off. 

The Kanigit or the weird 'dichotomy'?

Knights fans don’t bother me. I’m speaking of “dichotomy”. 

5 minutes ago, Brad said:

Knights fans don’t bother me. I’m speaking of “dichotomy”. 

Yeah, knew that. Comment was directed at NEB about the one that pissed him off .......... and the dichotomy thread had over 20 Views before I saw it. People need to help us outand bring that stuff to our attention, maybe using the "Report post" feature at top right side of post, assuming it's working and everyone can see it.

55 minutes ago, Triple B said:

The Kanigit or the weird 'dichotomy'?

Dichotomy 

44 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Yeah, knew that. Comment was directed at NEB about the one that pissed him off .......... and the dichotomy thread had over 20 Views before I saw it. People need to help us outand bring that stuff to our attention, maybe using the "Report post" feature at top right side of post, assuming it's working and everyone can see it.

Thanks did not know that was there...I’ll remember next time.