Rothstein double down?

Brad

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

1 minute ago, Jonesy Bull said:

Really thats surprising.  He was only a freshman so there is a good chance that he can develop his overall game as he matures.

Do we know if he is ready to go and fully recovered?

40 minutes ago, Friscobull said:

APG is the most overrated BS stat in hoops that is slanted toward whoever brings the ball down the court.  Most 4’s and 5’s avg between 1-2 APG a game and that doesn’t mean they don’t open up the offense and generate open looks as defenses collapse on them.  Most of the time there is an extra pass or two where they are not credited for an assist.  Everyone on that list will show improvement in FG % this year with the exception of Rideau of course.  Be prepared to eat crow this year.

• Topic Count:  258
  • Content Count:  2,412
  • Days Won:  5

1 hour ago, brybull1970 said:

That's why I proactively conceeded the point that his injury could have been an impact to field goal percentage, but it shouldn't be chalked up as the only reason.

bcgruber said that shooting is all about putting in the time which if true, either illustrates that the players haven't been putting in the time or that his premise is overly-simplified. I've worked with enough shooters over the last 30 years to know that practicing your jumper alone isn't enough - coaching, technique, skill level are all key parts in trying to improve a jump shot and you'll quickly hit a point of diminishing return if the work that's put in is missing one or more the additional items I listed.

Vince Lombardi said "perfect practice makes perfect", and all other practicing by defenition is sub-optimal.

I never said it was all about practice.  I said with practice you can improve.  Shot selection will help someones percentages go up as well.  Other players doing their job correctly will also put you in a better spot to shoot at a higher percentage.  Many things lead to a higher or lower percentage.  1 year does not make a career.  These are young kids who must improve in all aspects of the game.  it takes longer for some and with changing teamates its hard to translate one year to the next as a comparision.  IF you put a bunch of 5 star players on a team most players will all of sudden have better shooting statistics

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,639
  • Content Count:  75,711
  • Days Won:  436

1 hour ago, brybull1970 said:

I should have known if Trip was out there spinning that his toadie wouldn't be far behind.

If I did indeed have a toadie, I may have gone in a different direction ..................... no offense, chapel.

20 minutes ago, Triple B said:

If I did indeed have a toadie, I may have gone in a different direction ..................... no offense, chapel.

None taken.  I'm not sure what a "toadie" is, but based on context I assume it has something to do with calling out dumba**es on a message board .... 😉

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

22 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

None taken.  I'm not sure what a "toadie" is, but based on context I assume it has something to do with calling out dumba**es on a message board .... 😉

It's like a "Woodie" but infinitly smaller and surley nothing to croak about.

Edited by Azmodi

1 minute ago, Azmodi said:

ahhhh, so brybull is projecting again ... now it makes sense ..... 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,639
  • Content Count:  75,711
  • Days Won:  436

15 minutes ago, Azmodi said:

:facepalm:

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712

13 hours ago, brybull1970 said:

That's true, but you were the one who said "shooting is something you can improve on your own. The players just need to put in the time", so if that's true shouldn't we have seen YOY improvement, or have they already hit their ceiling? I mean if its as simple as just putting in the time, what's the deal?

Here is the YOY net change in FG% (minimum 100 FGA):

• Collins -0.1%
  • Casteneda -0.2%
  • Durr -2.0%
  • Brown -2.6%
  • Rideau -3.5%

Now I think most would argue that the loss of Yetna, and the opportunities for others to get open looks off of his game has some validity, but for a guy who only averaged 1.0 APG as a freshman we shouldn't overestimate that impact.

I don't think this can be overstated. Yetna did two very important things on offense that were sorely missed last year. He could hit the mid range shot and draw defenders out of the paint. This made the dribble penetration game way more effective. He also cleaned up the mess from said shots and put them back in for easy buckets.

I believe the offense will be much more fluid this season with not just one but two (as opposed to 0) power forwards that can hit an outside shot.

Guest Jonesy Bull
4 hours ago, brybull1970 said:

I think that's going to be the real thing to watch. I don't think its fair to Yetna to think he is going to be further advanced than before without the game action and not knowing what the injury has done to his game, and while he will start I expect Gregory to manage his minutes early in the season.

As long as he is fully healthy by the start of the season, he will be the X factor imo.  And I believe that CBG is a good enough coach to coach him up on passing it out to an open player when his shot is not there.

I'm super excited for BB....but then again I'm Jonesing (pun intented) for any sports.  I was excited to here today that Baseball has a real plan to play in late July.  

Guest Jonesy Bull
4 hours ago, brybull1970 said:

Amen brother!

I don't care what anybody else says, I like you.

You speak your mind and you stick with it!  But I still won't agree with  you alot of the times, so don't mistake my admiration for love or anything!