Spring Practice - QB POLL !

E.T.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,796
  • Content Count:  38,256
  • Days Won:  29

DANG ! How time flies ... Thanx for the Burnett reminder.

Go BULLS !!!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• E.T.

• smazza

• bulls96go

• Papa_Bull

Julmiste Is USF's No. 1 QB

By BRETT McMURPHY bmcmurphy@tampatrib.com

Published: Mar 24, 2004

TAMPA - South Florida coach Jim Leavitt planned to name a starting quarterback by the end of spring practice, but he needed only a week to name sophomore Pat Julmiste the starter Tuesday.

``Pat is the No. 1 quarterback for this football team,'' Leavitt said. ``[senior] Ronnie [banks] is No. 2 because he's not able to practice. Ronnie has to beat him out. After those two, it's wide open.''

Leavitt also said junior Cedric King has been moved from wide receiver to quarterback. The younger brother of former Bucs QB Shaun King, Cedric King played quarterback for three years at Gibbs High.

``He's a playmaker,'' Leavitt said.

Defensively, tackle Lee Roy Selmon Jr., linebackers Devon Davis and Stephen Nicholas, cornerback Kenny Robinson and free safety Javan Camon have been the most impressive, defensive coordinator Rick Kravitz said.

``I'm really pleased with Devon, he's taken some leadership,'' Kravitz said.

Because of injuries, the Bulls had only three running backs Tuesday - Trae Williams and Craig Lloyd and walk-on Anthony Gaines.

This obviously means to me that Kraky & Mullins are outta the picture. King played a little last year (1 game) and Mullins nevre did. I BULLieve Mullins played safety in HS, maybe he'll move there to give us some depth. But he has been in the system and probably will stay there for emergency backup.

Go BULLS !!!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,900
  • Content Count:  66,123
  • Days Won:  172

i don't think mullins is in picture

Bulls QB Moves To Safety

Published: Mar 26, 2004

TAMPA - A day after USF's Cedric King moved from receiver to quarterback, David Mullins moved from quarterback to safety.

``We talked to David and are trying to give him his best shot to get on the field, because he's worked hard and is a pretty good athlete,'' quarterbacks coach Rod Smith said.

King, who will be a junior in the fall, had an impressive debut in his first day under center.

``He did a good job. I was very pleased with him,'' Smith said after Wednesday's practice. ``We want to see what Cedric's athleticism will give us at quarterback.

``He's limited, obviously, because he still has to learn everything from a quarterback standpoint. But he knows the system through a wideout's perspective.''

Smith said King will stay at quarterback through the end of the spring, but an eventual move back to receiver is possible.

ODDS AND ENDS: RB Clenton Crossley remained limited with a shoulder bruise, and RB Billy Henderson will undergo an MRI on his knee Friday.

``We're going to have to wait and see on Billy,'' running backs coach Carl Franks said. ``I don't like the way he's walking around right now, but we should know something shortly.''

Gregg Becnel

This isn't a shock and I see Kings move as just an expeiment with Kraky being a #3 guy.

Go BULLS !!!

SPRING HAS SPRUNG: Although Pat Julmiste winning the starting quarterback position has been the biggest news of spring football practice, a number of players have stood out with spring drills one-third completed, Coach Jim Leavitt said.

Leavitt praised the play of USF's two-deep at linebackers - Devon Davis and Ronnie McCullough (middle), Stephen Nicholas and Ben Moffitt (strong) and Patrick St. Louis and Josh Balloon (weak).

Leavitt said others having good springs are DT Lee Roy Selmon Jr., DEs Craig Kobel and Tavarious Robinson, CB D'Juan Brown, WR J.B. Garris and K Santiago Gramatica.

Leavitt said FS Javan Camon, who has to replace Reed, has been among the biggest surprises.

I think our Front Seven will EXPLODE on Pitt !

Go BULLS !!!

This will really open the door for the True Freshmen ! Why not a mention of a medical RS ?

South Florida May Lose Starting RB For Season

Published: Mar 27, 2004

TAMPA - South Florida starting RB Billy Henderson suffered a torn ACL in his left knee and may be lost for the 2004 season.

A junior from Pinellas Park, Henderson suffered the knee injury Tuesday. If unable to play this fall, Henderson would have only one year of eligibility remaining after redshirting as a freshman.

Henderson, who had only eight carries for 34 yards last season, had claimed the starting position in spring practice. Three of the Bulls' top four running backs last year were seniors and Henderson and Clenton Crossley had been USF's top backs in the spring.

Without Henderson, the Bulls will need immediate contributions this fall from several newcomers - junior-college product Andre Hall and incoming freshmen Ricky Ponton, Terrance Jones, Chad Simpson and Andre Copeland.

HE SHOULD KNOW: Newly hired receivers coach Lawrence Dawsey sees a lot of potential in USF's receiving corps, but says he needs more practice time to fully evaluate his players.

``It's still too early to be patting them on the back,'' Dawsey said. ``I don't want them to become complacent because we still have a long way to go.''

Dawsey says the one thing he expects all his receivers to do well is blocking.

``Catching isn't a problem,'' he said. ``Anybody can catch a ball, but they have to do the little things, like blocking, to make big plays for the offense.

``I want them to be able to block and be a physical receiver. That's what it's going to take to catch my eye and play for me.''

ODDS AND ENDS: QB Evan Kraky and WR J.B. Garris had good practices, USF coach Jim Leavitt said after Friday's 90- minute workout in helmets and shoulder pads. ... The Bulls will go through a 100- play scrimmage today at 3.

Brett McMurphy, Gregg Becnel

I like the way Dawsey is making these kids "work" to get the "respect". Each week the starting jobs will be open.

Go BULLS !!!

USF's Defense Stymies Offense In Scrimmage

Published: Mar 28, 2004

TAMPA - Taking advantage of the absence of two offensive starters, South Florida's defense dominated Saturday's scrimmage, forcing seven turnovers and recording three sacks.

Led by DT Cedric Battles and FS Javan Camon, USF's No. 1 defense didn't allow a score during the 117-play scrimmage. DBs Antonio Warren and Kenny Robinson each had an interception, and DL Tavarious Robinson added a 44- yard fumble return for a TD.

The offense was without WR Brian Fisher, last year's offensive MVP who was arrested Monday for owing nearly $17,500 in delinquent child support payments to two women, and RB Billy Henderson, who suffered a torn ACL Tuesday.

``I just felt there were some other things [Fisher] needed to take care of, so I held him out,'' Coach Jim Leavitt said.

Leavitt said Fisher had not been suspended from the team and Leavitt didn't know if Fisher would practice Tuesday. He practiced Friday after missing Tuesday and Wednesday.

``It's just day-to-day. [saturday] he's not practicing, [but today] is a new day and we'll take it from day-to-day,'' Leavitt said.

Sophomore QB Pat Julmiste, named the starter Tuesday, was 17 of 32 for 164 yards with an interception and a 30-yard diving touchdown catch by Joe Bain. He also rushed for 29 yards on 11 carries, including touchdowns of 2 and 6 yards in short-yardage situations.

``He had the one interception down there and that's the one glaring instance that we're really going to hammer him on, but he did good,'' QB coach Rod Smith said. ``I thought he played pretty well. We're still not where [we want him to be] at by no means, but you can see progress.''

Walk-on Anthony Gaines (14 carries, 29 yards, including a 20-yard touchdown) and Trae Williams (eight carries, 29 yards) were the leading rushers. Santiago Gramatica hit three of five field goals.

Adam Adkins

Glad to hear the names of our corners ... if they excel, our D will be AWESOME !!!

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  9,900
  • Content Count:  66,123
  • Days Won:  172

blocking does separate good receivers from great ones

PJ now has to improve and not rest on his laurels of being number one

i like what coaches had to say

From The Lakeland Ledger:

USF's Defense Looks Solid

TAMPA -- The University of South Florida's No. 1 defense didn't allow a score all afternoon including a red zone series and goal line stance against the No. 1 offense in the Bulls' 117-snap scrimmage Saturday.

The No. 1 offense, led by quarterback Pat Julmiste, did manage three touchdowns and two field goals, all against the No. 2 defense.

Julmiste completed 17 of 32 passes for 164 yards, including a 30-yard touchdown pass to Joe Bain, and he also ran for touchdowns of two and six yards.

Santiago Gramatica capitalized on Julmiste's play as well, hitting field goals of 20, 31 and 40 yards, before missing from 50 and 37.

"My biggest concern is just trying to get the guys playing with effort," said head coach Jim Leavitt. "We had some good moments. The No. 1 defense on the goal-line did an outstanding job. Our quarterbacks are inconsistent and our offensive line was just OK.

"We're young at running back and the guys coming in this fall are really going to get an opportunity to play."

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219
  • Days Won:  0

go defence