Why arent we USF fans acknowledging this rivalry?

cee

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

FOR -

- Fills an OOC game for USF with a I-A opponent

- Low payout ($200,000) helps cut costs for our athletic department

- The ability to have more visiting fans buying tickets to the game

- Close proximity means more USF fans can make the road trip

- Exposure of USF in the Orlando area can help with recruiting

- Probability that USF could win the game helps with bowl eligibility

AGAINST -

- Quality of UCF's program and conference affiliation

- Recognition of UCF as a peer program

Am I missing something?  Why shouldn't this be an annual game?

Nope seems about right...

Actually (IMHO) I think this is kinda an ego thing.  Those associated with USF like to think of ourselves as better than UCF (and I know for a fact those at UCF think the same way).  So playing them brings that association closer.

Also, playing UCF is really a no-win for USF (kinda like USF vs. UF in basketball several years ago).  If we win, we are told we were SUPPOSED to. If we loose, it hurts BAD.  Even a close game would look bad.

NAM37

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• HumbleBull

• cee

• TripleB

• KnightRider

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  238
  • Content Count:  4,142
  • Days Won:  1

fatoleary.jpg

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276
  • Days Won:  0

There is something to the fact that we haven't played an annual game because it would give some credibility to them as peers.  

Still, USF always wanted to achieve more than UCF.  Griffin, Leavitt, Selmon, et al have said that USF should be part of the Big Four.  While I love that sentiment, inherent in that position is a direct competition with UCF.  We can not be part of the Big Four without comparing ourself to UCF and showing how we have surpassed them.

USF fans have been saying that there are better teams to play -- and I agree.  USF turned down a series with Minnesota.  Florida State won't return Woolard's phone calls.  We already have games with Florida and Miami.  It seems to me that we are playing those better teams.

We have to fille FIVE out of conference games every year.  Why can't one of them by UCF?  No one who opposes a rivalry with UCF has ever answered that question.  I would rather play UCF than Florida A&M, Tennesee Tech,  Charleston Southern, or Nicholls State. Perhaps you disagree?

Ulitmately, time will determine whether or not this will be a rivalry for our schools.  In the meantime, the reasons FOR scheduling UCF every year signficantly and clearly outweigh the resons AGAINST it:

FOR -

- Fills an OOC game for USF with a I-A opponent

- Low payout ($200,000) helps cut costs for our athletic department

- The ability to have more visiting fans buying tickets to the game

- Close proximity means more USF fans can make the road trip

- Exposure of USF in the Orlando area can help with recruiting

- Probabilty that USF could win the game helps with bowl eligibility

AGAINST -

- Quality of UCF's program and conference affiliation

- Recognition of UCF as a peer program

Am I missing something?  Why shouldn't this be an annual game?

I would also add:

PRO:

-USF's need to schedule FIVE non-conf games per year.

-Cheapest travel cost for any upcoming series besides UF..who won't be playing in RJS.

-Attendance will be higher then the 19,000 average of fans that attended games last year for UCF & USF.

-Internet websites will generate a lot of business!

• Topic Count:  41
  • Content Count:  562

Actually (IMHO) I think this is kinda an ego thing.  Those associated with USF like to think of ourselves as better than UCF (and I know for a fact those at UCF think the same way).  So playing them brings that association closer.

actually, it IS an ego thing.. and thats what is pissing me off with the USF fans on this board.. for every idiot UCF poster that comes on this board, i see an intelligent UCF post that's trying to start an appropriate discussion on this UCF-USF matchup, only to see our own USF people flip it and reverse it into a name-calling match (like HumbleBull did earlier in this thread against me because he didnt stop to realize that i was a USF fan-- i hate to call ya out buddy but you kinda personified my rant).. USF fans need to stop ego trippin and just enjoy the game this saturday, regardless of its significance to USF's future landscape in the Big East and/or out-of-conference play

Also, playing UCF is really a no-win for USF (kinda like USF vs. UF in basketball several years ago).  If we win, we are told we were SUPPOSED to. If we loose, it hurts BAD.  Even a close game would look bad.

well, EVERY team has a "no-win" game.. hell, look at FSU and UF this past week.. they played freaking citadel and LaTech.. last week we played FAMU, last year we played Tennessee Tech.. i mean, i could go on and on.. but the fact of the matter is that if we're gonna play warmup/"no-win" games like these, we might as well schedule them with UCF, and fill all other games against the UF's and Miami's.. at least it brings excitement earlier in the season, and gets more people to come out to the game, as opposed to last week where people only really came out to see FAMU's Marching 100

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  69

The following article supports my position that a USF vs. ucf rivalry would be of no real benefit to USF.  Based on UCF mismanagement and lack of success, they are not worthy of a annual game with USF and therefore, any association with them, by us only detracts from our goal of building a prominant athletics program.  Read the article and weep ucf fans :'(.

Why not build a rivalry with Miami or UF?  Those are the teams we have designed our program after.  

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/09/14/Sports/USF_already_has_a_big.shtml

What say you panhandle, cee, knight-light?  By the way, I really wouldn't talk trash to anyone on this board in a manner that I wouldn't say to your face.  Doing so only shows how big of a wuss you are.  Right? ;)

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,503

Read the article and weep ucf fans

Something that was very clear for along time is being reprinted in the media.  Is there a little more excitement for this game then say Buffalo or Tenn Tech, sure ,  but in no way is this on the plate for USF to be some type of rivalry.  I don't know of any real rival games except between peers in the BCS schools.  Are there any BCS vs Non-BCS famous rivialry games ?  If I were in UCFs shoes I would be bitter about what happened and this game would mean alot to me if UCF could win.  Thank god I'm not and USF got the invite to the BE.

Finally a voice of reason!!!  Well said.

Something that was very clear for along time is being reprinted in the media.  Is there a little more excitement for this game then say Buffalo or Tenn Tech, sure ,  but in no way is this on the plate for USF to be some type of rivalry.  I don't know of any real rival games except between peers in the BCS schools.  Are there any BCS vs Non-BCS famous rivialry games ?  If I were in UCFs shoes I would be bitter about what happened and this game would mean alot to me if UCF could win.  Thank god I'm not and USF got the invite to the BE.

• Topic Count:  646
  • Content Count:  7,890

this game is a tune up game for LVill And UM

• Topic Count:  116
  • Content Count:  1,501

Agreed.  I think we DON'T WANT to acknowledge this rivalry, not that we will not.  As pointed out by Greg’s article, we simply WANT to be better then UCF.  That has nothing to do with playing them at football.  They’ve had some problems over their football program.  Recruits don't want to come to USF to play UCF.  Just the same as those recruits didn't go to Miami to play against USF.  We're shooting for the stars here, and that's way over UCF.  Of course we are NOT there yet, but hopefully with some time, we will be.  

I see all of your points re. the pros of this game, however, we are building a program here.  I think our non-acknowledgement of their program is the best for now.  Maybe this will change down the road when we are both better programs.