“Big Changes are Coming” Watch

Brad

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  124
  • Content Count:  6,801
  • Days Won:  28

26 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

Every coach you fire is one less coach on the road/phone recruiting for you and our bowl/early signing day will within a few days of each other due to playing in a crap tier bowl. This is now a crunch time period in recruiting due to the (newish) early signing day and some of our top guys are looking to sign early and have some P5 programs pressing HARD for visits before the early signing period.  We need our coaches out there keeping this class together, even if it's the only good thing they've done for the program since they've been here.  If you're not going to blow the whole thing up and fire CCS (He's not going anywhere BTW, it would shock me) you need to keep as many recruits as you can in the boat and taking coaches off the road at this point does nothing to help the program other than appease the fans who want to see heads roll.   If you can't see this you're not looking at the big picture.  

For some reason, i dont feel Gilbert is doing any recruiting. I barely saw any recruiting stories on him.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  586
  • Content Count:  23,146
  • Days Won:  109

15 hours ago, Azmodi said:

This is why people have lost faith in this program. If you're in deed one of the premier colleges in the country, you'd expect your litigators to be able to write a contract that's at least some what favorable towards the University it's self. JHC!!!!! What a Dumpster Fire Admin is.

And you would want to hire a coach that allowed for a $200,000 buyout? 

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

9 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

Everyone lies to everyone in recruiting, welcome to the real world, bud.   As for another assistant going out there for Gilbert, these coaches have territories for a reason and it's because one coach cannot effectively recruit more than one territory in a state like FL that get hit HARD by every program in the country EVERY SINGLE DAY. Even more so this time of the year.  If you'r a coach short out there you're gunna get killed, that's why you cannot afford to have coaches who cannot recruit in this state unless they are top tier X's and O's guys.  If we had a bowl closer to new year's day I would be on the fire people now train but we don't so there's no reason to cut off our nose to spite our face.   There's just not enough time left in the game to shake up the class without potentially scuttling it.   Firing assistants when you're keeping the HC (he's not going anywhere)  at this point does nothing but appease fans.  There is no net benefit to the program.

As for Brohm, HC's are limited in their contact with recruits by NCAA rules not even a comparable situation.  Also, if Brohm accepted that offer it's a moot point.   Everyone was aware those negotiations were happening btw as it's been a national story  which is hardly the case for our staff.    Very few care about those changes except for boards like this and USF Twitter. 

I'm not talking about lying to recruits, I'm talking about lying to our coaches about their job security.  So are you saying that if Gilbert is talking to recruits and their families none are asking if he is going to be here next year? 

I'm going out on a limb and saying Gilbert isn't going anywhere unless he gets a better offer bud

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

3 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Sure, if he was planning on kicking butt for 2 years and being a hot commodity in the P5 coaching market.  Why would he need to worry about a buyout?  That's the kind of confidence I want to see.  Not like he was walking into a bad situation

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Just now, chapelbull said:

I'm not talking about lying to recruits, I'm talking about lying to our coaches about their job security.  So are you saying that if Gilbert is talking to recruits and their families none are asking if he is going to be here next year? 

I'm going out on a limb and saying Gilbert isn't going anywhere unless he gets a better offer bud

Gilbert is very aware of his status you can bet that.   Coaches lie in recruiting it happens every day alllll day.  It's why kids get "offers" that aren't committable.   They'll ask him, he'll lie, and it won't be the first or last time somebody lies to that family this week.  The kids will lie right back about how "committed" they are and go take visits elsewhere, even without this kind of uncertainty.  Recruiting is a dirty game from all sides..... 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  586
  • Content Count:  23,146
  • Days Won:  109

Just now, chapelbull said:

Sure, if he was planning on kicking butt for 2 years and being a hot commodity in the P5 coaching market.  Why would he need to worry about a buyout?  That's the kind of confidence I want to see.  Not like he was walking into a bad situation

I don't think either of us want to do the work, but I'm guessing if you look at most D1 head coaches there aren't any or many near that dollar amount.  

• Topic Count:  493
  • Content Count:  12,673
  • Days Won:  25

6 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

5 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

Agree with chapelbull. I'm sure there are very few, if any, that would agree to a minimal buyout simply because the market lets them. And the P5 schools will pay any buyout we have. So, that's kind of a safety net on both sides.

Well, I just sat here and talked myself out of a small buyout clause. "SHOW ME THE MONEY!"

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  19,609
  • Days Won:  255

Allowing HC buyouts to balloon to the degree that they have when really no other market has followed suit is really an indictment of the quality of negotiations in athletic departments across the nation. Multi year 80% to 100% guaranteed contracts with no regard to preformance and having never stepped foot on the campus and preformed the job is unconditionable. A million dollars or two signing bonus? Sure. A year guaranteed? Sure. Five plus years fully guaranteed or close to it? GTFO. And all under the guise that you want to show your commitment? Why isn’t it reciprocated?

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  19,609
  • Days Won:  255

4 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

Agree with chapelbull. I'm sure there are very few, if any, that would agree to a minimal buyout simply because the market lets them. And the P5 schools will pay any buyout we have. So, that's kind of a safety net on both sides.

Well, I just sat here and talked myself out of a small buyout clause. "SHOW ME THE MONEY!"

The problem is no buyout on the other side would ever be the size of the buyout for dismissal because no one would ever buy it out. Why should one side of the contracts buyout be 10x the other side? It’s grossly inequitable and provides one side a lot more safety.

• Topic Count:  493
  • Content Count:  12,673
  • Days Won:  25

3 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Allowing HC buyouts to balloon to the degree that they have when really no other market has followed suit is really an indictment of the quality of negotiations in athletic departments across the nation. Multi year 80% to 100% guaranteed contracts with no regard to preformance and having never stepped foot on the campus and preformed the job is unconditionable. A million dollars or two signing bonus? Sure. A year guaranteed? Sure. Five plus years fully guaranteed or close to it? GTFO. And all under the guise that you want to show your commitment? Why isn’t it reciprocated?

SEE! We AGREE 100%

• Upvote 1