26-4

puc86

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,942
  • Days Won:  436

3 hours ago, Bull94 said:

I haven't said anything about this year or our record. I just pointed out that  calling this year a  rebuild is disingenuous.

Personally I think the sloppy play(penalties, slow starts, #50 scoring offense, #65 scoring defense etc) have more to do with the coaching than it does with having a new QB or having to replace starters.

Yet we have basically the same coaching staff as last year, right? ........... To not think that this is some sort of a rebuild after what we lost playerwise is what's disingenuous.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

40 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Yet we have basically the same coaching staff as last year, right? ........... To not think that this is some sort of a rebuild after what we lost playerwise is what's disingenuous.

Like I said previously UCF has 1 more returning starter than we do. Cincy the same amount with a new freshman QB coming off of a 4-8 record. Alabama, LSU, Penn State, Washington State, Colorado, etc have fewer returning starters.

This is college football. This is not a rebuild after going 11-2 regardless of who we lost. Every program in the country has to replace valuable starters every year. we have plenty of quality athletes and we brought in a 5 star graduate transfer QB that started as a freshman at Alabama.

a rebuild is when you fire a guy that has left the cupboard bare. I guess sustained success isn't possible at USF?

I don't think we have as good a team as we had last year. i would like to see our team play disciplined football to the best of their ability though and for our players to be put in a position to succeed. I really don't care if we win if it looks like we left it all on the field. I'm not seeing it. just another press conference every week about how we aren't playing to our ability.

We are 114th in the country this year for penalties against at 8.2 per game. an improvement over the 9.6 penalties per game from last year so I guess we have that going for us.

Edited by Bull94

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

2 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

Like I said previously UCF has 1 more returning starter than we do. Cincy the same amount with a new freshman QB coming off of a 4-8 record. Alabama, LSU, Penn State, Washington State, Colorado, etc have fewer returning starters.

This is college football. This is not a rebuild after going 11-2 regardless of who we lost. Every program in the country has to replace valuable starters every year. we have plenty of quality athletes and we brought in a 5 star graduate transfer QB that started as a freshman at Alabama.

a rebuild is when you fire a guy that has left the cupboard bare. I guess sustained success isn't possible at USF?

I don't think we have as good a team as we had last year. i would like to see our team play disciplined football to the best of their ability though and for our players to be put in a position to succeed. I really don't care if we win if it looks like we left it all on the field. I'm not seeing it. just another press conference every week about how we aren't playing to our ability.

We are 114th in the country this year for penalties against at 8.2 per game. an improvement over the 9.6 penalties per game from last year so I guess we have that going for us.

Interesting sidebar...those teams with more penalties have better records and more overall success than those teams with fewer penalties.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

43 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Weren't there some similar complaints last year?  

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

50 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Talk about strawman building ..... Please point out where I said you're not enjoying the wins. You, figuratively speaking, can enjoy the wins but still go on and on about getting frustrated and concerned over things that haven't happened yet ..... and that's all over this board. That's all I was talking about.

The board's purpose is to discuss the team, so that's what I do here.  I dunno how they did it before the wheel was invented but discussions can usually involve things more than "Woohoo we won!!!!" or "THIS TEAM SUCKS I CAN'T BELIEVE WE LOST".   There's a ton of crayons in the box but you seem to think we only have two choices.   

4 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Interesting sidebar...those teams with more penalties have better records and more overall success than those teams with fewer penalties.

great so we should shoot for #130 then where Nebraska is currently ranked.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

25 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

great so we should shoot for #130 then where Nebraska is currently ranked.

It’s crazy! Ohio State and Florida are actually worse than us. It’s like that every year.

14 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

It’s crazy! Ohio State and Florida are actually worse than us. It’s like that every year.

we give up 2.8 first downs by penalty every game. we get 1.0 first downs by penalty. 1.8 difference in first downs

UF 2.3 give up 1.7 get  difference .6

OSU 2.7 give up 2.5 get .2 difference

the difference in first downs by penalty per game for us is 3 times as high as UF and 9 times as high as OSU

offensive penalties are correlated with win loss record

• Topic Count:  49
  • Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  0

We'll figure out what this team is by the end of the Houston game.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,942
  • Days Won:  436

1 hour ago, Bull Dozer said:

The board's purpose is to discuss the team, so that's what I do here.  I dunno how they did it before the wheel was invented but discussions can usually involve things more than "Woohoo we won!!!!" or "THIS TEAM SUCKS I CAN'T BELIEVE WE LOST".   There's a ton of crayons in the box but you seem to think we only have two choices.   

Three choices. You have to add "THIS TEAM SUCKS I CAN'T BELIEVE WE WON" ....... and for the record, you just happened to be the one going back and forth with me on this and you're probably one of the last this is aimed at.