Taggart SBNation Comment on USF

RedBull13

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

12 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

FSU's team is just not as good as they thought. I mean they lost to an unranked Boston college 35-5 last year,so why is everybody so shocked at the loss to a ranked VT? I think his offensive players needed that reality check and should be fine the rest of the year. Im not impressed with Francois. 

I think they rank some teams early in the season in order to promote these games that are on primetime tv. it makes people think that these teams are better than they really are. in reality FSU was 7-6 last year with wins over southern miss, louisianna-monroe and delaware state as well as syracuse and duke. Their best win was over wake forest.

it's why mediocre programs from last year start out ranked this year. to promote big tv games. wvu, michigan, texas, fsu

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

3 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

I thought the same thing watching the game.  There just happened to be guys who went down after big plays and FSU was obviously going to try to tempo quite a few times through out the game.   None of them stayed out longer than a play.  In fact it triggered a big debate in a group text with some of my friends, one of which played college ball and agreed this is what was going on.  It was pretty obvious IMO.....   This isn't outlandish at all as many teams have used this tactic since the proliferation no huddle tempo base offenses.  

Ya, I've seen it happen before. That's when you suck it up and continue to out coach the other team that is throwing a monkey wrench into your plans.

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

I thought the same thing watching the game.  There just happened to be guys who went down after big plays and FSU was obviously going to try to tempo quite a few times through out the game.   None of them stayed out longer than a play.  In fact it triggered a big debate in a group text with some of my friends, one of which played college ball and agreed this is what was going on.  It was pretty obvious IMO.....   This isn't outlandish at all as many teams have used this tactic since the proliferation no huddle tempo base offenses.  

Its part of the game. Saban has been talking about the tempo leading to injuries since teams started doing it. If your game plan is dependent on Tempo, its not a good game plan. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,991
  • Content Count:  19,801
  • Days Won:  213

I didn't see this game but have seen VT players (et al) do this in games. It is a defensive strategy that is within the rules but undermines good sportsmanship. Is that what all the noise was about when it came to FSU fans booing their injured players? Dang-- wish I would have watched this debacle.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

1 minute ago, Bull94 said:

I think they rank some teams early in the season in order to promote these games that are on primetime tv. it makes people think that these teams are better than they really are. in reality FSU was 7-6 last year with wins over southern miss, louisianna-monroe and delaware state as well as syracuse and duke. Their best win was over wake forest.

it's why mediocre programs from last year start out ranked this year. to promote big tv games. wvu, michigan, texas, fsu

People seem to forget that they had to win the rescheduled cupcake game from the hurricane to even make a bowl.   Anyone who didn't see them struggling this season wasn't paying attention.  

10 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

it was blatantly obvious if you watched the game. fsu had a big play that ended up in the redzone or just outside. a v-tech lineman was running down field until he looked over to the sideline and then mysteriously went down. even the announcers pointed it out and said it was bush league.

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,556
  • Days Won:  19

On 8/22/2018 at 10:29 PM, RedBull13 said:

I like Taggart. I really do, but this feels like an unnecessary jab at a place that was a major factor (if not THE major factor) that got you to where you are today...

Article: https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2018/8/22/17717562/florida-college-football-history-coaches-explain

Thoughts? And if this has already been posted somewhere feel free to delete and provide the original post.

DlOsZ1pXoAAbGAN.jpg:large

Here is what Taggart had to say today about his FSU debut:

All I can say is, some people assume things will happen just because I am here. I knew things were going to be tough at my first press conference when someone said, "Coach, we can't wait to get back to being National Champions again." 

I'm like, you were National Champions years ago, UCF is the champion now. This program had a lot of success, but when I got here, I didn't know what to do or where to go. I had no plan. 

4 minutes ago, MikeG said:

I didn't see this game but have seen VT players (et al) do this in games. It is a defensive strategy that is within the rules but undermines good sportsmanship. Is that what all the noise was about when it came to FSU fans booing their injured players? Dang-- wish I would have watched this debacle.

Herbstreet and the other announcers showed a replay of a guy that wasn't even touched go down after a big fsu play. he looked over to the sideline as he was running down the field and then mysteriously went down.

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

7 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

it was blatantly obvious if you watched the game. fsu had a big play that ended up in the redzone or just outside. a v-tech lineman was running down field until he looked over to the sideline and then mysteriously went down. even the announcers pointed it out and said it was bush league.

Offense gets to know the play and they get to dictate when you can sub. If a defender is tired, the only thing they can do is go down or else they risk a substitution infraction by the offense just snapping the ball. Not Busch league, just playing to game the way they have to. the player has to come off so its not like there is no punishment. Just attack whoever that sub coming in. 

Again tempo shouldn't make or break your game plan. If it does, its not that good. 

Edited by BrassBulls12

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

2 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

Its part of the game. Saban has been talking about the tempo leading to injuries since teams started doing it. If your game plan is dependent on Tempo, its not a good game plan. 

You have  bad defensive game plan if you have to resort to faking injuries to slow down a temp offense (see how that works).  A big part of the reason why so many teams run no huddle tempo based offenses is to take advantage of certain sub-packages by not letting them sub out, wear down defenses, take advantage of defensive confusion between plays, and limit the ability of DC's to call plays effectively.    Also, is it a part of the game, yes, yes it is.   But it's also unethical an a bit underhanded to me.  You're asking for a kid to fake an injury, nothing is good about that.  Personally I think after the first time a player goes down and stops play they shouldn't be allowed back in until the next series.   If the kids is legitimately having to have the game stopped to get checked on more than once they need longer term observation or treatment.  If it's not legit they at least have to pay some kind of price instead of just jogging back onto the field a play later after disrupting the natural flow of a game.