RedBull13

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,071
  • Days Won:  19

21 minutes ago, puc86 said:

I found these more interesting and interestingly familiar:

• "Willie Taggart because he still has a career losing record." 
  • “I would say Willie Taggart at Florida State. He was only at Oregon for one year, and it's not like he really transformed that program -- and that's a place that's won for a long time. Not that he isn't good -- he's won. But usually when you get a job like Florida State, it's because you've won some championships or done something really amazing."

The last 3 head football coaches at FSU did not do something truly amazing before they got there. FSU has a great eye on finding AND hiring the great up and coming coach. I am sure Willie will be the 3rd. 

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  19,608
  • Days Won:  255

1 minute ago, GaUSFBull said:

He's what, 42 years old?  You've already made enough pronouncements on his career as if it were over.  I wonder how you'd feel if some random took a look at your accomplishments and made a judgment on them that you'd likely find objectionable?

Part of the millions paid to college coaches is for the inconvenience of having randoms and professionals judge your every move. I don’t think his career is over by any means I am stating this is the very beginning of it. He has been a professional job hopper to date and as such his career is hard to judge. It would appear he has landed at a place where the job hopping has ended and he will build the program that will define his legacy.

8 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

Some people pick and choose what empirical evidence to judge by 😉

Dreams get bigger as time passes

What would be better empirical evidence than wins? You play to win the game. 

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

2 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Part of the millions paid to college coaches is for the inconvenience of having randoms and professionals judge your every move. I don’t think his career is over by any means I am stating this is the very beginning of it. He has been a professional job hopper to date and as such his career is hard to judge. It would appear he has landed at a place where the job hopping has ended and he will build the program that will define his legacy.

Fair.  Although he could probably care less about what you and I think, I don't think his career is really all that hard to judge, outside of the one year at Oregon.  For those whom are objective, his reputation as a job hopper is only surpassed by his reputation as a program builder.  That's the reason he came to USF in the first place, and as Bull94 said, he did what he was paid to do.  I have no doubt the success would have continued if he had stayed.  Now, like you said, he's at a place where we'll likely find out his mettle.  

I just think it's incredibly sad how USF fans want him to fail.  

1 minute ago, GaUSFBull said:

Fair.  Although he could probably care less about what you and I think, I don't think his career is really all that hard to judge, outside of the one year at Oregon.  For those whom are objective, his reputation as a job hopper is only surpassed by his reputation as a program builder.  That's the reason he came to USF in the first place, and as Bull94 said, he did what he was paid to do.  I have no doubt the success would have continued if he had stayed.  Now, like you said, he's at a place where we'll likely find out his mettle.  

I just think it's incredibly sad how USF fans want him to fail.  

I think you are wrongly attributing that to him instead of the fact he is at FSU, I would love to know the percentage of people that are USF fans pulling for him to lose but that were actively cheering for Jimbo Fisher to be successful. I’m guessing that it’s not a large number and it’s somewhat unreasonable to require people to cheer for FSU just because CWT has decided to coach there this year.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

3 minutes ago, puc86 said:

What would be better empirical evidence than wins? You play to win the game. 

Some people may look at the fact that a coach took over a program (3 times) that was a dumpster fire and turned it around quickly as a sign of that person being a good coach.  If said coach stuck around longer at sites, then said coach probably overcomes the 6-18 beginning record as he put out that raging dumpster fire.

1 minute ago, chapelbull said:

Some people may look at the fact that a coach took over a program (3 times) that was a dumpster fire and turned it around quickly as a sign of that person being a good coach.  If said coach stuck around longer at sites, then said coach probably overcomes the 6-18 beginning record as he put out that raging dumpster fire.

There is not one other person on the planet that would describe Oregon as a dumpster fire or would be as impressed by his one year there as you are. 

4 minutes ago, puc86 said:

There is not one other person on the planet that would describe Oregon as a dumpster fire or would be as impressed by his one year there as you are. 

4-8 and they ran out the favorite son.  Call it what you want, but the team was much improved and call it incomplete.  Other two jobs were dumpster fires.  And I really have no opinion of the job done at Oregon.  I just think the whole argument against him is kind of funny.

Edited by chapelbull

2 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

My Bad

Edited by chapelbull

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

8 minutes ago, puc86 said:

I think you are wrongly attributing that to him instead of the fact he is at FSU, I would love to know the percentage of people that are USF fans pulling for him to lose but that were actively cheering for Jimbo Fisher to be successful. I’m guessing that it’s not a large number and it’s somewhat unreasonable to require people to cheer for FSU just because CWT has decided to coach there this year.

Your arguments are far too black and white/straw man, or you wantonly have blinders on.  No one is required to cheer for FSU just because CWT is there.  I would say most people just didn't care about FSU, but you do have more than a few "jilted lovers" that are USF fans and actively rooting against CWT because he left us for greener pastures.