Scouting Report: Georgia Tech

Brad

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

8 hours ago, GT FAN said:

Not true, Stephen Hill, Darren Waller, DeAndre Smelter, Demaryius Thomas. All guys who could stretch the field and did really well at GT. None of these guys were TE type guys. 

Ok so lets break this down

Demaryius Thomas- Recruited by Chan Gaily and his Pro style offense. He considered leaving after Johnson came but had already used his redshirt so decided to stay. Johnson would have never signed him. 

Darren Waller- While his College career wasn't enough for wikipedia to mention, he currently plays TE on the Ravens practice squad so clearly they saw his value as a WR. 

DeAndrea Smelter-Spent most of his college career as a Relief pitcher and then decided to play football when his arm shot out. He averaged a 4.5 at his pro day and thats with a coach on the clock. Not exactly burner speed and had football been his first choice probably would have went somewhere else. 

Steven Hill- While he did posses the speed to be considered the anomaly here, he was also a very good long jumper on the track and field team which I'm sure played a lot into his decision to go there. 

Conclusion- The ones who chose to play football for an option offense  may have been great stretch players at GT but not for the rest of the non service academies.   

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  24
  • Days Won:  0

43 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

Ok so lets break this down

Demaryius Thomas- Recruited by Chan Gaily and his Pro style offense. He considered leaving after Johnson came but had already used his redshirt so decided to stay. Johnson would have never signed him. 

Darren Waller- While his College career wasn't enough for wikipedia to mention, he currently plays TE on the Ravens practice squad so clearly they saw his value as a WR. 

DeAndrea Smelter-Spent most of his college career as a Relief pitcher and then decided to play football when his arm shot out. He averaged a 4.5 at his pro day and thats with a coach on the clock. Not exactly burner speed and had football been his first choice probably would have went somewhere else. 

Steven Hill- While he did posses the speed to be considered the anomaly here, he was also a very good long jumper on the track and field team which I'm sure played a lot into his decision to go there. 

Conclusion- The ones who chose to play football for an option offense  may have been great stretch players at GT but not for the rest of the non service academies.   

That wasn’t the point, it was said they are all TE hybrid type player. That’s just not true. 2nd smelter was good enough to be drafted in the 4th after tearing his ACL in the final regular season game of his senior year. It wasn’t about who’s recruits they were or any of the other stuff you mentioned, it was strictly about them being good at GT and not TE hybrid type guys, minus Waller. 

47 minutes ago, ilovetheoption said:

Dude, Darren Waller is a TE in the NFL.

I know I was just mentioning him since he did ok at GT and got drafted. And he actually got cut by the ravens. Thanks for the info though. 

1 hour ago, GT FAN said:

That wasn’t the point, it was said they are all TE hybrid type player. That’s just not true. 2nd smelter was good enough to be drafted in the 4th after tearing his ACL in the final regular season game of his senior year. It wasn’t about who’s recruits they were or any of the other stuff you mentioned, it was strictly about them being good at GT and not TE hybrid type guys, minus Waller. 

Well point about general option WR being hybrid TE’s was about their use in high school not college, but you glossed over that to tell me about how good 4 examples  were at stretching the field. All I’m saying the standard what a vertical threat is, is different for option offenses. If our corners stay home there shouldn’t be any worry about them getting beat deep. Again your WR are there to block. 

Edited by BrassBulls12

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

On 8/11/2018 at 6:55 AM, Bullrush33 said:

They have had some of the best NFL receivers.

^^^this was the original quote that has some GT panties in a wad. 

Literally there are only two WRs that have been actual difference makers in the NFL in the last however-many years:

Calvin Johnson

Demaryius Thomas

No one really knows who Smelter and Hill are, so they can't really be include in "the best NFL receivers" like Bebe and Megatron are widely considered to be.  

We can all calm down on this subject now.  

11 hours ago, GT FAN said:

We’ve had a starting senior WR drafted every time under CPJ minus this past year with Juene, who still got on a shot at the NFL. Not sure if he’s still with Dalas or not. 

I get it, you're a homer - but he hardly fits into the (small) category of "best NFL receivers" to come from Tech.  

• Topic Count:  291
  • Content Count:  2,668

"Georgia Tech center Kenny Cooper’s return to the playing field will not happen this week. Cooper, who suffered a foot injury in spring practice and was a possibility to come back this week for this Saturday’s game against USF, will be out, coach Paul Johnson said Sunday evening on his weekly teleconference.

'I don’t think he will be available,' Johnson said. 'In fact, I know he won’t be available.'

Cooper was one of the team’s top offensive linemen last season. Jahaziel Lee, who moved from tackle to center after Cooper’s injury and started for the first time at the position against Alcorn State, did not get satisfactory marks from Johnson for his play against the Braves."

https://www.ajc.com/sports/college/kenny-cooper-return-for-georgia-tech-will-not-happen-this-week/u4usonrhU5rmqIcMdnsWIK/

23 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

Well point about general option WR being hybrid TE’s was about their use in high school not college, but you glossed over that to tell me about how good 4 examples  were at stretching the field. All I’m saying the standard what a vertical threat is, is different for option offenses. If our corners stay home there shouldn’t be any worry about them getting beat deep. Again your WR are there to block. 

I think you are sadly mistaken about our WR’s, of course they are there to block but that doesn’t mean they can’t do other things, if what you were saying is true you wouldn’t see our guys even get a try out for an NFL team much less drafted. Now, are they to the level y’all have? No, but we definitely have some guys who can do somethings and high point balls when guys are on them.  also to say our guys in high school were TE hybrids or whatever, is you just being uninformed. Not one guy on our roster was used that way. And I dare to say we have guys on our roster that USF coaching staff wouldn’t mind having. 

https://mobile.twitter.com/FOXSportsSouth/status/1035942596080623617

26 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

^^^this was the original quote that has some GT panties in a wad. 

Literally there are only two WRs that have been actual difference makers in the NFL in the last however-many years:

Calvin Johnson

Demaryius Thomas

No one really knows who Smelter and Hill are, so they can't really be include in "the best NFL receivers" like Bebe and Megatron are widely considered to be.  

We can all calm down on this subject now.  

I get it, you're a homer - but he hardly fits into the (small) category of "best NFL receivers" to come from Tech.  

Good thing I didn’t say that......

2 minutes ago, GT FAN said:

Not one guy on our roster was used that way

Prove it. Otherwise, you are just as uniformed about your team as I am. And no, we don't need any of your receivers. 

You are trying to prove against a generality with anomalies. Good luck

Edited by BrassBulls12

Just now, BrassBulls12 said:

Prove it. Otherwise, you are just as uniformed about your team as I am. And no, we don't need any of your receivers. 

Did I say y’all needed them? Man you don’t read what’s even being posted do you? And prove it? I have watched all their film, would you like me to post all their film lol? Plus that’s not how an argument works, you are the one originally saying they were used as TE type guys in high school with not an once of proof. You just made an assumption and you are 100 percent wrong so now you want me to “prove” it, because you can’t prove you comment, and what better way to deflect a comment by saying prove it lol. 

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

4 minutes ago, GT FAN said:

Good thing I didn’t say that......

You've certainly said enough off topic (for a refresher on what the topic was, see my post above) about your receivers ...

12 hours ago, GT FAN said:

We’ve had a starting senior WR drafted every time under CPJ minus this past year with Juene, who still got on a shot at the NFL. Not sure if he’s still with Dalas or not. 

2 hours ago, GT FAN said:

2 hours ago, GT FAN said:

I know I was just mentioning him since he did ok at GT and got drafted. And he actually got cut by the ravens. Thanks for the info though. 

Anything else unrelated to the original point you'd like to add?