We Made It!!

Apis Bull

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,941
  • Days Won:  436

3 hours ago, puc86 said:

We need to grab life by the horns and keep doing things to position ourselves at the head of the line, if UCF comes too that's unfortunate but I guess life, and not worry about yoking ourselves to schools that could hold us back.  

I'm really not seeing how yoking ourselves to the national champions can be anything but a HUGE positive .......... HUGE.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  19,587
  • Days Won:  255

17 minutes ago, Triple B said:

I'm really not seeing how yoking ourselves to the national champions can be anything but a HUGE positive .......... HUGE.

🤢

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,941
  • Days Won:  436

It’s harder than ever to get into USF. Some worry about the downside.

TAMPA — It’s a joke among some alumni: No way would I get into the University of South Florida today. Not with USF’s shiny new rankings and growing clout as a college destination. Not with its rising GPA and SAT averages.

And especially not now, as the USF System begins to consolidate its Tampa, Sarasota and St. Petersburg institutions, creating one university — under one tougher admissions goal.

It comes down to this: After years of effort, USF Tampa has been deemed a preeminent university, a lucrative state honor based on hitting goals on metrics like graduation rates. As the USF System unifies, leaders want USF to stay preeminent and keep those bonus dollars flowing.

To do that, incoming fall students across all three campuses — not just Tampa anymore — need to average a strong academic profile: a 4.0 weighted high school GPA and a 1200 SAT.

Rest of article

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

37 minutes ago, Triple B said:

It’s harder than ever to get into USF. Some worry about the downside.

TAMPA — It’s a joke among some alumni: No way would I get into the University of South Florida today. Not with USF’s shiny new rankings and growing clout as a college destination. Not with its rising GPA and SAT averages.

And especially not now, as the USF System begins to consolidate its Tampa, Sarasota and St. Petersburg institutions, creating one university — under one tougher admissions goal.

It comes down to this: After years of effort, USF Tampa has been deemed a preeminent university, a lucrative state honor based on hitting goals on metrics like graduation rates. As the USF System unifies, leaders want USF to stay preeminent and keep those bonus dollars flowing.

To do that, incoming fall students across all three campuses — not just Tampa anymore — need to average a strong academic profile: a 4.0 weighted high school GPA and a 1200 SAT.

Rest of article

I wouldn't be able to get in today.

Students who want to graduate from USF and can't get in driectly from high school still have the opportunity to go to community college - a MUCH cheaper option. The state still guarantees entry into USF after completing a Florida AA degree, correct?

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Keep in mind the numbers for admission, although higher, are averages. There will be more than a few with lesser credentials still getting in. 

• Topic Count:  24
  • Content Count:  6,301
  • Days Won:  12

2 hours ago, charsibb said:

Students who want to graduate from USF and can't get in driectly from high school still have the opportunity to go to community college - a MUCH cheaper option. The state still guarantees entry into USF after completing a Florida AA degree, correct?

I did St. Petersburg College, then USF. I’m glad I did because it prepared me for USF. At 18 I don’t think I would have done well in classes with 200 or more students. SPC taught me how to be a quality student, and USF prepared me for my career. 

This is huge news for USF and all alumni. 

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

3 hours ago, Rex Havoc said:

I did St. Petersburg College, then USF. I’m glad I did because it prepared me for USF. At 18 I don’t think I would have done well in classes with 200 or more students. SPC taught me how to be a quality student, and USF prepared me for my career. 

This is huge news for USF and all alumni. 

I did HCC before USF.

• Topic Count:  69
  • Content Count:  1,671
  • Days Won:  3

19 hours ago, charsibb said:

There are still GPA requirements (above just passing the classes) that you have to maintain at the community college in order to get accepted into the specific college.  My son had to retake one class in order to bring his GPA up to get accepted into the college of Engineering.  Can't remember exactly, but i believe it was a cumulative average for the math and science requirements that had to be at least a 3.2 maybe.  Wonder if these have gone up as well.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

3 hours ago, Boomer said:

There are still GPA requirements (above just passing the classes) that you have to maintain at the community college in order to get accepted into the specific college.  My son had to retake one class in order to bring his GPA up to get accepted into the college of Engineering.  Can't remember exactly, but i believe it was a cumulative average for the math and science requirements that had to be at least a 3.2 maybe.  Wonder if these have gone up as well.

As I recall, Engineering had higher entrance requirements than the school as a whole. I'd assume that relationship still holds, even as the school's standards have risen. Any newly minted Engineers in here can corroborate?

• Topic Count:  91
  • Content Count:  1,716
  • Days Won:  9

23 hours ago, charsibb said:

I believe the guarantee set by the state is a guarantee that state college graduates will be accepted into one of the state's universities. I don't think these grads are guaranteed a spot in a specific school.