AP and Coaches Poll

Skingraft

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,288
  • Days Won:  1

27 minutes ago, JTrue said:

Exactly. I'm not saying we shouldn't be ranked, but I don't get why what we did last year means anything right now. We finished the year #19. Since then, we've lost xCWT, Mack, and Adams and added a head coach that went 16-21 at his last stop. Then to kick off 2017, we looked ok against probably the worst team in FBS football, looked about the same against a bottom feeder FCS team, and then looked very solid against probably the second worst team in FBS football. I'll take #21 at this point.

I totally get what you're saying, and agree with it. No Mack or Adams, new staff, new system....nobody knew exactly what to expect, yet the pollsters somehow decided we were #19 in the country before a game was played . Last year should have nothing to do with our ranking this year, but it had to be a factor in us being #19 in the preseason. I agree....based on our performance so far this season, against below average competition, I'll take #21 with ZERO complaints.

Edited by USFBulls727

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  4,828
  • Days Won:  6

1 minute ago, The Great 8 said:

I love how we have a game postponed and drop in the rankings. Meanwhile, Miami has a game postponed and raises a few spots. Cool.

The trick is to have 2 games canceled instead of one...

• Topic Count:  150
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

3 minutes ago, USFBulls727 said:

I totally get what you're saying, and agree with it. No Mack or Adams, new staff, new system....nobody knew exactly what to expect, yet the pollsters somehow decided we were #19 in the country before a game was played . Last year should have nothing to do with our ranking this year, but it had to be a factor in us being #19 in the preseason. I agree....based on our performance so far this season, against below average competition, I'll take #21 with ZERO complaints.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  953
  • Days Won:  6

18 minutes ago, JTrue said:

Exactly. I'm not saying we shouldn't be ranked, but I don't get why what we did last year means anything right now. We finished the year #19. Since then, we've lost xCWT, Mack, and Adams and added a head coach that went 16-21 at his last stop. Then to kick off 2017, we looked ok against probably the worst team in FBS football, looked about the same against a bottom feeder FCS team, and then looked very solid against probably the second worst team in FBS football. I'll take #21 at this point.

What type of fans are you??? We brought back like 90% of our team from last year. That same 19th ranked team. Every team worth its salt losses players to the draft. 

This 16-21 coach you speak of has already proven he can be successful at this level. Shoot, according to some of you this level is easier so... What's the problem?

Do Notre Dame, Miami, Florida...etc. argue why there teams shouldn't be ranked when most times they're ranked on name alone?

Did last year's 19th ranked team deserve to be ranked? Who did they beat worth beating? Most teams in the top 25 past the eye test. 

Alabama didn't play like #1 this week. Should they forfeit their ranking??? These young men are human. They have good weeks and bad. I'll say that our recruiting, roster, production, and potential all scream top 25.

All this pessimism is exhausting... How can you be so down during the year we legitimately teach higher than USF football EVER has.

This isn't some fluke year where every other team sucks and we show up for big games and catch sleeping giants off guard. This time we built it from the ground up. We legitimately have layers of talent. People see us coming and we still punch them in the mouth. 

We deserve our ranking unlike some schools who are surviving on name and history alone. 

• Upvote 3

• Topic Count:  411
  • Content Count:  19,536
  • Days Won:  24

38 minutes ago, JTrue said:

I agree, except StonyBrook isn't a bottom feeder FCS team.   They are just outside the FCS Top 25.

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

5 minutes ago, USFBulls727 said:

Our preseason ranking was based mostly on USF returning Flowers and a senior laden team who won its bowl game against the SEC. We lost a few key players, but not enough to think we would take much of a step backwards. Also, we have an easier schedule, than we had last year.

Now, going forward, let's say we end up being ranked again this year and win our bowl game. The fact that we lose Flowers and will be returning a much younger team next year, will likely not have us ranked in the preseason.  

• Topic Count:  150
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

9 minutes ago, TromBull12 said:

What type of fans are you??? We brought back like 90% of our team from last year. That same 19th ranked team. Every team worth its salt losses players to the draft. 

This 16-21 coach you speak of has already proven he can be successful at this level. Shoot, according to some of you this level is easier so... What's the problem?

Do Notre Dame, Miami, Florida...etc. argue why there teams shouldn't be ranked when most times they're ranked on name alone?

Did last year's 19th ranked team deserve to be ranked? Who did they beat worth beating? Most teams in the top 25 past the eye test. 

Alabama didn't play like #1 this week. Should they forfeit their ranking??? These young men are human. They have good weeks and bad. I'll say that our recruiting, roster, production, and potential all scream top 25.

All this pessimism is exhausting... How can you be so down during the year we legitimately teach higher than USF football EVER has.

This isn't some fluke year where every other team sucks and we show up for big games and catch sleeping giants off guard. This time we built it from the ground up. We legitimately have layers of talent. People see us coming and we still punch them in the mouth. 

We deserve our ranking unlike some schools who are surviving on name and history alone. 

So what you're saying is, I'm correct. #21 seems about right. Gotcha.

24 minutes ago, Mama_Bull said:

Our preseason ranking was based mostly on USF returning Flowers and a senior laden team who won its bowl game against the SEC. 

So, you agree that what last year's team did played some role in our preseason ranking? I do understand that the other factors you mentioned had something to do with it as well. It's difficult to tell where we fit in exactly. I can't help but wonder what kind of record we'd end up having this season if we had, say, the Gator's schedule. 9-3? 8-4? Really hard to gauge the quality of this team when the the schedule is this bad. We're an upper echelon AAC team, whatever that means.

Edited by USFBulls727

13 minutes ago, TromBull12 said:

People see us coming and we still punch them in the mouth. 

Name the teams we've "punched in the mouth" so far.  You question what kind of fans we are because we point out that we've been underwhelming at times against a very weak schedule? Just my opinion, but that's not pessimism. Just dealing with reality. I'm not saying we shouldn't be ranked, but that argument could be made, and there are several pollsters who don't have us in their top 25. Again, we're #21, and that's fine with me.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,769
  • Days Won:  14

The rankings will sort themselves out. Just win, baby!

I was reminded today that we can rely on our objective media to result in a fair and accurate poll. 

That is why Auburn and Miami (FL) are ranked where they are. Don't you see?

So no worries.