USF football draft pick history

Flowers4Heisman

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

10 hours ago, Bull Daly said:

You **** right they should. Let's call the Bucs lack of success caused by a curse. They can break the curse next year if they draft a USF player. Until then they will continue to suffer from this so called curse. 

10 hours ago, Triple B said:

He's right, you know. The Bucs have never won a Super Bowl without a Bull on the roster ...

Ryan Benjamin wasn't drafted though.  Trip's point is correct, anyhow. 

2 hours ago, Bull Daly said:

IMG_0667.PNG

BR; DR

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

3 hours ago, GaUSFBull said:

BR; DR

To his credit, he DID say it was a rumour, and BR is a great site for rumours, LOL

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

14 hours ago, charsibb said:

Link?

The link to the article is no longer working.

However, it was copy and pasted, at the time, in a related thread here and is still available:

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2008/apr/27/sp-jenkins-makes-usf-program-history/?sports-colleges-bulls

By BRETT McMURPHY

The Tampa Tribune

Published: April 27, 2008

BRADENTON - At 6 p.m. Saturday, the words University of South Florida cornerback Mike Jenkins had waited a lifetime to hear came blaring through the television inside a jampacked Days Inn conference room.

"With the 25th pick in the 2008 NFL draft, the Dallas Cowboys select Mike Jenkins, defensive back, South Florida," said NFL commissioner Roger Goodell.

Kathy Gray, Jenkins' mother, who hoped and prayed for this day since Jenkins' days at Bradenton Southeast, never heard a word Goodell said: She had passed out on the floor.

Gray, who has diabetes, said she suffered a diabetic seizure.

"Everyone was cheering before the announcement; after that I don't know what happened," Gray said. "I don't remember being on the floor. The next thing I know I was in the ambulance."

Gray was fine shortly afterward and back inside the hotel conference room, celebrating with her son, who made history by becoming the first USF first-round NFL draft pick in program history.

Jenkins was projected to be selected anywhere after the seventh pick. He thought he would go at No. 10 to New Orleans, which came to Tampa last week to put Jenkins through a personal workout.

However, the Saints traded up to No. 7 and selected USC defensive tackle Sedrick Ellis.

"I thought I would go higher than No. 25," Jenkins said. "When the Saints traded out of No. 10, I think that hurt me. They passed over me. In fact, a few other teams passed over me."

Including the hometown Bucs, who had the No. 20 pick. Just two days before the draft, Jenkins and Bucs GM Bruce Allen sat together inside the Hip Hop Soda Shop on Fowler Avenue.

Allen did not mince words.

"He said definitely if you're there at No. 20, we'll take you," Jenkins said.

So when the Bucs picked Kansas cornerback Aqib Talib, Jenkins said he was "a little disappointed."

Seattle was on the clock to make the 25th pick when Jenkins' cell phone rang.

"I couldn't hear, all I heard him say was 'Dallas,'" Jenkins said. "I think it was the GM. He said, 'Are you standing up or sitting down?' I said, 'Sitting down.' He said, 'Stand up, I'm about to tell you something good: You're a Dallas Cowboy.'

"When they called it confused me. I said, 'You're not on the board.' He said, 'Keep looking at the TV.'"

Word quickly spread through the conference room - conservative guess was there were more than 100 family and friends or twice as many people as the room was designed to hold - that Jenkins had received word.

Dallas traded up from No. 28 to No. 25 to pick Jenkins.

"The value for him was exceptional," Cowboys coach Wade Phillips said. "And we had to make a move."

USF coach Jim Leavitt said watching the NFL draft brought back memories of 2001.

"It reminded me when we had the three consecutive picks Kenyatta Jones, Anthony Henry and Bill Gramatica to start the fourth round," Leavitt said. "I was up in the air when Mike was selected. I was so excited.

"These things happen for a reason."

Jenkins said he's thrilled to play with Henry, whose last season at USF was 2000.

"I know I'm going to a playoff team with a chance at a Super Bowl run," Jenkins said.

Gray said even though her son made history, it wasn't one of the happiest days of her life.

"But," she joked, "it was one of the happiest days of my life that I've passed out. I'm thankful."

She was asked if she was looking forward to watching the tape of her son getting drafted. She then realized she forgot to do something before leaving her home.

"Oh no," she said. "I hope somebody taped it for me."

Reporter Brett McMurphy can

be reached at (813) 259-7928

or bmcmurphy@tampatrib.com.

• Upvote 1

Grain of salt.  I could see it going either way.  Bruce Allen is/was a pretty snaky guy, IMO.  But also possible that Mike didn't really hear a commitment.  I don't think too many draft prospects hear "definitely will take you" that far away from the actual announcement.  

• Downvote 1

Paul Finebaum: Oklahoma desperate to get out of the Big 12

f59acca689d56c3d153accdd004ccc51?s=36&d=MICHAEL WAYNE BRATTON | 1 DAY AGO

Jan 2, 2017; New Orleans , LA, USA; Oklahoma Sooners head coach Bob Stoops looks on from the sidelines in the first quarter of the 2017 Sugar Bowl against the Auburn Tigers at the Mercedes-Benz Superdome. Mandatory Credit: Derick E. Hingle-USA TODAY Sports

The 2017 NFL Draft resulted in some embarrassing stats for the Big 12. After two rounds, Temple and Western Michigan each had as many selections as the Big 12 conference had as a whole (2). When the draft’s seven rounds came to an end, the AAC had more selections (15) than the Big 12 (14). 

Read more at: https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/paul-finebaum-oklahoma-desperate-get-big-12/

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

Grain of salt.  I could see it going either way.  Bruce Allen is/was a pretty snaky guy, IMO.  But also possible that Mike didn't really hear a commitment.  I don't think too many draft prospects hear "definitely will take you" that far away from the actual announcement.  

Why would Allen even bother to even meet Mike at a coffee shop two days before the draft, just to tell him that the Bucs might take him? He could have said that much in a telephone call.

It makes more sense to me that Mike is telling the truth about what was actually said.  

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Mama_Bull said:

Why would Allen even bother to even meet Mike at a coffee shop two days before the draft, just to tell him that the Bucs might take him? He could have said that much in a telephone call.

It makes more sense to me that Mike is telling the truth about what was actually said.  

I'm not saying it's not possible.  But it's also possible that the Glazers, or even Gruden (who was really Allen's boss, and not the other way around) wanted Talib, so they had final say.  I remember Gruden being pretty excited about getting Talib after the draft that year.    

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,796
  • Content Count:  38,256
  • Days Won:  29

On 4/29/2017 at 10:11 PM, Ionbull said:

Were they really back to back to back? That's fun.

Remember the VP of the NFL that was naming off the picks ... looked at the card and said, "This must be some kind of a record."

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,641
  • Content Count:  75,941
  • Days Won:  436

2 hours ago, Mama_Bull said:

Ga covered it earlier but it's doubtful any GM without a top 5 pick is going to meet/call a potential signee 2 days before the draft just to tell him that they will draft him if he's there. What would be the point? My guess is that MJ believes he heard that but I can't figure under what circumstances BA would make that statement that far away from the actual pick.

Plus the article was written by the BM so who knows what little nuances he just threw in there on his own.

• Upvote 1