is there anyone here against this hire?

smazza

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  150
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

23 minutes ago, BrandonUSFSig said:

I am. He's a poor choice. If he were such a great option, another P5 program (like Oregon) would have pursued him as head coach. Too many people see the coach strong from the UF and UL days. Those days are gone. Regardless of all the reasons, he failed at UT. The idea of a complete 180 here with less resources and access to a national championship isnt realistic. There were other candidates with more upside. 

I'd say we have half the resources of Texas, so a 90 degree turn isn't out of the question.

Guest PCBull14
18 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

they weren't convicted yet. just accused. same as Jameis Winston.BTW I have no problem with those 2 being let go.

Let's face it the guy gutted the program basically because some college students were smoking pot. kind of dumb. it's not like they were hardened criminals. heck look at most successful programs in the country and I bet they have quite a few pot smokers.

Smoking pot is against the NCAA rules....so your point is what?

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,423
  • Content Count:  98,293
  • Days Won:  490

2 hours ago, MMW said:

" This week in Dallas, Strong admitted that coaches at other schools have cast him as something of a tyrant to recruits, as if somehow his core values – honesty, treating women with respect, and no drugs, guns or stealing – are unreasonable demands of a college student. "

I wish Charlie Stong were at my son's school. All those core values are violated there by athletes before the blind eye of their coach.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

1 minute ago, PCBull14 said:

Smoking pot is against the NCAA rules....so your point is what?

What does the NCAA rule book say about jaywalking?  

Because, in Bull94's eyes, those are pretty much even infractions.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  11
  • Days Won:  0

The concerns voiced about hiring Strong are valid. However, that does not mean he will have the same results at USF. I think he learned a lot from his three years at UT and my bet is, he does not repeat some of the fatal mistakes he made there.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

Plus, we seem to have a pretty good group of high character guys on the team already.  My guess is that, going into USF, he won't have to worry about a culture or behavioral issue, for the most part.  

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

I had high hopes for Strong, but based on his marijuana stance I guess I was wrong.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

8 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

What does the NCAA rule book say about jaywalking?  

Because, in Bull94's eyes, those are pretty much even infractions.  

At least one-third of the Power Five conference schools are not punishing athletes as harshly as they were 10 years ago for testing positive for marijuana and other so-called recreational drugs, according to an investigation by The Associated Press.

The NCAA last year cut in half the penalty for athletes who fail screenings for substances like marijuana at its championship events, and its chief medical officer is pushing for college sports’ governing body to get out of the business of testing for rec drugs altogether. The AP found that some of the nation’s biggest universities, from Oregon to Auburn, have already eased their punishments as society’s views on marijuana use have changed.Marijuana use among U.S. adults has doubled over a decade, according to government surveys, and recreational use is now legal in four states.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ncaa-athletes-marijuana-penalties_us_5681766ae4b014efe0d8c989

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

4 minutes ago, GaUSFBull said:

Plus, we seem to have a pretty good group of high character guys on the team already.  My guess is that, going into USF, he won't have to worry about a culture or behavioral issue, for the most part.  

not sure smoking pot has anything to do with a person's character

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,423
  • Content Count:  98,293
  • Days Won:  490

Strong is the pot agenda in this thread

• Upvote 1