we play in the second tier

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  347
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  0

6 hours ago, charsibb said:

Says the guy posting on a message board with no friends in the real world, LOL. Just kidding!

Interesting theory though. As a kid, we used to play football across several front yards until the one jerk put up a bunch of spanish bayonets to keep us out. But we were always playing something.

With no internet, we had to amuse ourselves, do kids not go out as much today as we did?

They absolutely don't... it's sad, you just don't see kids playing a pick-up game of football at parks or streets like we all did as kids. I actually do believe kids are less interested in sports, and all sports will feel this lack of interest down the road. 

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  7,003
  • Days Won:  4

1 hour ago, jasonb56 said:

They absolutely don't... it's sad, you just don't see kids playing a pick-up game of football at parks or streets like we all did as kids. I actually do believe kids are less interested in sports, and all sports will feel this lack of interest down the road. 

Pretty much what I was thinking as well. And just to be clear...when I use the term "sports", I refer strictly to physical activity games. I do not, nor will I ever, embrace 'esports' as sports. I don't use the terms 'sports' and 'games' interchangeably. However, if that's where the river is running, I think physical activity get-the-guys-together sports will indeed suffer down the road.

Edited by WoolyBully

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

It's too easy to blame things other than ourselves. We need to keep working towards developing a more fervent, proud fan base. When we have an overall culture that doesn't poo-poo playing noon games or why we play Memphis rather than FSU and simply support USF football, that work has been accomplished. We have too many graduates that completely separate themselves from USF and would rather financially support other schools. 

I'm proud of my alma mater, and by extension, its athletic department. I wear my USF gear, donate what I can, and I talk positively about USF whenever anyone wants to listen. Once we've won over more people that should have a connection with USF, it'll be much easier to have an environment that appeals to those Michigan, Ohio State, Nebraska, Penn State, etc. transplants that move here and are "jonesing" for some tailgating and college football. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  586
  • Content Count:  23,144
  • Days Won:  109

1 minute ago, Paisa el Toro said:

It's too easy to blame things other than ourselves. We need to keep working towards developing a more fervent, proud fan base. When we have an overall culture that doesn't poo-poo playing noon games or why we play Memphis rather than FSU and simply support USF football, that work has been accomplished. We have too many graduates that completely separate themselves from USF and would rather financially support other schools. 

I'm proud of my alma mater, and by extension, its athletic department. I wear my USF gear, donate what I can, and I talk positively about USF whenever anyone wants to listen. Once we've won over more people that should have a connection with USF, it'll be much easier to have an environment that appeals to those Michigan, Ohio State, Nebraska, Penn State, etc. transplants that move here and are "jonesing" for some tailgating and college football. 

Have a friend who is a Michigan State grad.  Says he's adopted USF as his 2nd team. He goes to about 3 games a year. I tried talking him into buying cheap season tickets but he usually picks them up for about $10 for the games he goes to. Told him he'd be helping the team with a season ticket over buying off Stub Hub.  Another friend may be buying 2. He's a snowbird and would miss the Sept games but he seems more likely to buy.  We are pushing both of them.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

16 hours ago, Ned A Starr said:

Now, you're on target!    No traffic, no drunks, no obnoxious fans, no sunburn, no uber loud piped in music, blasting commercials, no 4-5 hour games, no overpriced food and drinks.   HD-TV/VCR....the way to fly.    College football, sold itself to TV, now they have to live with the results of their actions.

:facepalm:

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,376
  • Days Won:  2

Last year the pac 12 averaged 51k a game, ACC 49k a game and AAC 31k.

So even most of Pac 12 and ACC wouldn't fill ray jay.

If we can get our numbers up near 40k we would be near tops in G5 attendance. 

Edited by Bulls On Parade

• Topic Count:  93
  • Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

18 hours ago, Bear said:

We are making excuses now,

University of Houston -- didn't do too bad; and Houston is the 4th largest CITY (and the fastest growing)... You can definitely get distracted there.

And if conference re-alignment did happen -- They would beat us (without a dumb "package deal") into the P5

UH has had their own attendance issues: http://www.houstonpress.com/news/tom-hermans-not-happy-with-uh-attendance-7871103

And Houston metro area is twice the population of Tampa/St Pete, so a lot more people to draw from for a similar number of athletic teams.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,376
  • Days Won:  2

15 minutes ago, WWMJD said:

UH has had their own attendance issues: http://www.houstonpress.com/news/tom-hermans-not-happy-with-uh-attendance-7871103

And Houston metro area is twice the population of Tampa/St Pete, so a lot more people to draw from for a similar number of athletic teams.

Houston averaged 2014 28k and 2015 34k.

• Topic Count:  56
  • Content Count:  4,558
  • Days Won:  19

46 minutes ago, WWMJD said:

Actually, read that article... and then read the comments! It's almost word-for-word what we have been saying in this thread.

But, this article is from last year; not this previous season; which their attendance is better than ours...

Edited by Bear