Oregon reaches out to Willie Taggart

dclenden

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  715
  • Days Won:  0

If CWT stays, we are pretty much in a perfect scenario for next year. Almost half of our conference opponents (Temple, Houston and Cincy) will be going through transitions with their new coaches. Weak OOC schedule. Most of the team coming back. Our hardest games are at home. Possibly starting the year ranked. Please stay CWT!! One more year is all we ask! 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  370
  • Content Count:  6,587
  • Days Won:  37

1 minute ago, Hueyhog20 said:

Rhule accepting the job at Baylor essentially guarantees that Franklin is staying at PSU. PSU is Rhule's dream job. Born and raised in State College, played for them, he would give anything to coach them. As for Taggart to UNC if Fedora leaves....I'm not buying it. I don't think he wants to be the head coach of a football team at a basketball school. UNC was only paying Fedora $290,000 more than Taggart is currently making. I don't see them throwing a ton of money to lure away an up and coming coach. 

• Content Count:  715
  • Days Won:  0

2 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

Rhule accepting the job at Baylor essentially guarantees that Franklin is staying at PSU. PSU is Rhule's dream job. Born and raised in State College, played for them, he would give anything to coach them. As for Taggart to UNC if Fedora leaves....I'm not buying it. I don't think he wants to be the head coach of a football team at a basketball school. UNC was only paying Fedora $290,000 more than Taggart is currently making. I don't see them throwing a ton of money to lure away an up and coming coach. 

Agreed, but you never know. 

2 minutes ago, Hueyhog20 said:

Agreed, but you never know. 

I cannot fathom a situation in which Rhule would have accepted the Baylor job if there was even a 1% chance of Franklin leaving. Franklin is not going to go from PSU to Oregon....just not going to happen. If, however he does, I will gladly eat the crow I have coming.  

Edited by BullyPulpit

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,256
  • Days Won:  6

9 minutes ago, Hueyhog20 said:

If Fedora were to leave the Tar Heels, some have indicated UNC would represent an ideal next step for Taggart on his career climb. Similarly, he might be considered a candidate at Penn State if Franklin leaves. Get the idea?

All credibility lost...

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

18 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

Not giving credit to a coach for recruits that were major coupes is just ridiculous.  None of those kids are here without CWT so attempting to use them to marginalize his success is intellectually dishonest.  That doesn't even take into consideration how important recruiting is for a HC at a program like USF.  We aren't UF, FSU, LSU, Texas, Notre Dame etc where the job recruits itself.  

This also doesn't take into consideration that he's the chief play caller in this offense.  People need to stop looking for reasons to not give credit to CWT and realize that he's a good coach.....Also, do we really go all in on recruiting Flowers to play QB if we wanted to keep playing the power brand of football? There's evidence that the shift in philosophy was coming during that second season in the formations and in some of the play calling (The first appearance of the WR screens, Implementing the shot gun more including  pistol formations even with white as the starter etc).  

I don't get why there are people that refuse to give him credit. There are some wacky conspiracy theorists here.

Yes he calls the plays. Harlan didn't force him to hire/change philosophies. Yes he is a good recruiter(why this would ever be a reason to discount his coaching abilities is beyond me- "oh his players are too good that's why his offense works....")

• Topic Count:  150
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

4 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

I bet he'd rather be the head coach of the football team at a basketball school than the head coach of the football team at a women's sailing school.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, JTrue said:

I bet he'd rather be the head coach of the football team at a basketball school than the head coach of the football team at a women's sailing school.

Not for only $500,000 to $1 million more per season, especially when a 10+ win season is almost a certainty next year. 

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

4 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

I don't get why there are people that refuse to give him credit. There are some wacky conspiracy theorists here.

Yes he calls the plays. Harlan didn't force him to hire/change philosophies. Yes he is a good recruiter(why this would ever be a reason to discount his coaching abilities is beyond me- "oh his players are too good that's why his offense works....")

They'll be the first ones to call him "low character" or "a traitor" and other ridiculous things when he eventually leaves.  Some of them have already started beating that drum with criticisms about his use of "Bay made Bay stayed" etc.